A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,689
Currently Running With Scissors:
453 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Felted sweater?  (Read 363 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

snapeswife
« on: February 26, 2009 05:21:42 PM »

So, I'm going to be a graduate teaching assistant next year and need a better wardrobe. I was thinking about crocheting some sweaters to wear over oxford shirts. The thing is, I don't want it to look crocheted, but just wooly. Does that make sense? Will felting the sweater make the stitches blend? Does anyone have a good pattern? I've been crocheting for more than 12 years, but I've never done the felting thing and am unsure what the purpose of it is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009 10:50:29 PM »

Well, first of all I just have to say: don't be afraid of showing your crochet! It is not as ugly as you think! Grin NOw with that said, I know your dilemma, sometimes crochet items do look a little 'off'... I think you could felt some sweaters, and done the right way, it wouldn't feel like you were wearing armor either! Smiley

The felted wool object is always shrunk and in the shriking it gets thick (the wool fibers 'bloom' and get all tengled up with each other). The Thickness depends on the twist in the yarn and the weight of the yarn and can range from so thick it can hold water, to just thick enough to not see the individual stitches any more... and you can always partially felt where the stitches bloom but you can still see them. It seems like you want to hide the stitches altogether so I would suggest getting some wool sock yarn, and crocheting it with an 'H' or 'I' or even 'J' hook. I think that will make a nice felted sweater that still has some drape to it. Get a thicker yarn like sport weight and you might end up wearing a cardboard box! 

I am not sure why you want to felt a crocheted sweater, but I think it would be cool to try different pattern stitches to get different effects too. It would be cool to have a row of popcorns or something like that to add dimension and interest! Can't wait to see what you come up with!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
snapeswife
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009 08:08:47 AM »

Thanks,

I guess what I want is just something that looks like its made out of wool "cloth". Something simply and modern-looking. I plan to make others, too. I need to find some hip patterns, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Scarlett Johansson’s Full Lip Look
Beyoncé’s Foolproof Makeup Tips That Will Last All Day
How You Should Wear Your Hair For Your Wedding
How to Create A Winged Eyeliner
How To Take A Perfect Selfie
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...