A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
559 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for horse lover  (Read 1429 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 26, 2009 02:54:12 PM »

My mum's birthday is coming up and I'm stumped. I've made her stuff in the past but most of it gets pushed aside and never sees the light of day. The thing is that I can't help myself. I need to make stuff. Maybe I'm just determined to make something that will make her say "Holy S**t!"

One thing she loves is horses and horse riding. I don't know the first thing about them and am totally stumped as to what a horsey person would like or find useful. I know she won't be fussy on western style items... she's more of an english gal riding through the country type. I did buy her gloves a year or so ago... other than that I haven't got a clue. She does not have her own horse but she does go riding frequently.

Any ideas? What does an equestrian need?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoannaLouise
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009 04:21:50 AM »

Hey, I was just wondering if you ended up thinking of anything horsey related? I've been trying for ages to find some equestrian related crafts but have a complete mental block. My mum LOVES horses, and she does have her own, so I wanted to make her a usable gift for her birthday, maybe something for the tack room but no idea what. If you came up with any ideas I'd love to hear them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bela-Kiss
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009 05:57:55 PM »

For this past Christmas I made my boyfriend's sister a tote bag with a horse shoe on it and horse fabric as the lining...she never uses it, but it is an idea.
Maybe a nice framed picture of her all geared up with a horse? Sorry I can't help much. My boyfriend's mother has been around horses her whole life and as much as she loves the animals, sometimes she just wants a break. She lives on a farm now and it is her 24/7 job to make sure the horses and other animals are taken care of. So this past birthday we bought her a nice cake and a day at the spa.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
psychobillybutterfly

I'm a Psychobilly Nerd and Proud

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009 03:26:17 PM »

as a horsey person, I've been riding for twenty years I can tell you that simple things are great.  I love those earmitty head bands for early morning or winter rides.  Or a gift basket of things for wind bite like burts bees wax or even better home made stuff, when you tell her it's for when she gets chapped from riding believe me she'll smile. I loved a blanket my neighbor nade for me one year with a horse on it, it was a quilt, very fancy.  Another thing that I used to have that I loved was a pair of fingerless gloves that had leather on the palm, it was great for riding.  Hope this helps~ Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ugly. Is irrelevant. It is an immeasurable insult to a woman, and then supposedly the worst crime you can commit as a woman. But ugly, as beautiful, is an illusion. - Margaret Cho

My Wist - http://www.wists.com/psychobillybutterfly
My Pinrest - http://pinterest.com/sewsarcastic/
AnnaB264
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010 06:39:39 PM »

I know this is an old post, but maybe for next year... ideas for crafty horse things to make:

Horse grooming brushes can be handpainted with the horse's name, owner's name/initials, or with a horse the same color as your mum's.  Or you can decoupage stuff on the back.

A nice groom box to hold brushes, fly sprays, etc.  I've seen some really nice custom ones from wood.  You can woodburn name/initials into it and stain it a nice color.

Halter/bridle/tack tags - I haven't done this yet, but I plan on making nametags for my horses' halters and bridles from Sculpey. 

Sew a nice saddle pad - if you are talented at this and know of a particular pattern or design she might like.

I'm always looking for new horse crafts!

Anna

THIS ROCKS   Logged
bubblishpop
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010 11:26:14 AM »

I'm a hunter seat horsey girl, so in addition to the great ideas you've already been given, I always appreciate:

1. Horse treats, packaged in a cute/creative way (critter-proof containers are always nice). Bob's peppermints or starlight mints, carrots, iced oatmeal cookies, and apples have all met with the horsey seal of approval. There are some DIY horse treat cookie recipes out there too - would be cute with a personalized "Pony Treats" cookie jar or something like that.

2. My hands are always cold, so fingerless gloves or mitts for grooming/tacking in warm style: also ski-style earwarmer band things are great, and cowls (instead of scarves with loose ends that are a safety hazard) are really nice, too. Warm socks that fit slimly underneath riding boots and breeches (lightweight fleece is good). Fleece zip-up vests and pullovers are nice for riding in cold weather, too.

3. Lip balm, moisturizer, hand sanitizer, break-resistant water bottle for post-riding hydration, maybe packaged in a small insulated bag made from equine print fabric? (I carry these with me everywhere, I also ride at a barn about 40 minutes from my house.)  Maybe something like this for the bag: http://planetgreen.discovery.com/home-garden/lunch-diy-accessories.html

4. Anything personalized with her horse's name - like a hanging stall sign, baseball cap to cover up helmet hair, keepsake box, photo album or frame,  see also #5 below.

5. Home-etched glassware with horse-y silhouettes. I haven't tried this yet, but think it would be pretty easy to make a stencil from clipart, and then use either a glass etching kit or frosted glass spray paint (you're only supposed to use the paint for decorations, so this wouldn't work for anything that would contain food).  Or personalize some mugs or wineglasses with food safe glaze.

6. Have a coffee mug, t-shirt, cap, or tote printed with her horse's photo on it.

7.  If you like woodworking, a nice grooming box, tote, bridle rack, saddle stand, or anything like that would be great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crochet for Beginners: Easy Ideas for Gifts
Crochet for Beginners: Crocheting in the Round
Crochet for Beginners: Chain Crochet Stitch
Choosing a Crochet Stitch
How to Shape the Glass
Latest Blog Articles
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...