A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 303,169
Currently Running With Scissors:
607 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: .:Mendhi // Henna designs:.  (Read 14057 times)
Tags for this thread: henna , ramadan , craftster_best_of_2009  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009 06:01:59 AM »

@Solarwren I have met people who have had reactions to ppd in premixes like that. I haven't personally met anyone with reactions to natural-colored premixes in person, but I have spoken to a few on the phone. Reactions to whatever dye or preservatives are in there seem much less dangerous than ppd reactions. they are more like regular dermatitis, or eczema outbreaks. Little bumps, itchies and flakies.

You don't have to mix on your own. You can buy premixes that are made by responsible artists in their kitchen. They (we) freeze the paste right after mixing and send it to ya frozen. Store it in the freezer as soon as you get it until you're ready to use it and it will keep a good long time. Even without preservatives it exists in a sort of suspended animation while frozen and won't poop out on ya.

Someone asked about applying fine lines a way back... I use a cone rolled from mylar film or wrapping paper and put it on like decorating a cake. Some people use cello wrap or freezer bags too. Many people use small plastic bottles with metal tips, but I find them to be hard to squeeze. There are two different types. Jacquard and leur lock. The jacquard bottles, I believe, are actually made for applying particular ceramic glazes. The leur lock bottles and tips were made for industrial adhesive applications! Both work rather nicely for those that prefer the feel of a bottle rather than a cone.

Videos on how to make and fill mylar cones.

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009 11:41:47 PM »

Thanks so much for the info. I'm wondering where do you get the powder base when you mix your own mendhi? I have noticed some henna powder at the local Indian stores but it just seems like more work when I can simply get the cones. Do you think any chemicals might already be premixed into there?

Thanks for the cone making video! I have some icing bags but since my results with the icing in them wasn't that great I'm not expecting anything different with mendhi in there.  I'd like to use the bottles just because they seem so convenient but like you said, I'm used to the feeling of the cone in my hand so the bottle might take some adjusting!

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009 08:29:39 AM »

I import my henna powder directly from Pakistan, India, and Yemen, every few month to make sure its fresh. I stick with exporters I know and trust for safety's sake. Doing this yourself is prohibitive though unless you can make use of 50 lbs or so! For most people the best thing you can do is find a professional artist to buy from. You know they only want to put good stuff on their clients or else their reputation will suffer.

Shopping at the international market for henna can sometimes get you great henna, but its a gamble. I could be years old and lost lots of oomph. The only henna that you can buy off a store shelf with confidence is Jamila. Its a solid, reliable name brand that is always additive free, AND has a sell by date on the bottom of the box! Other than that one brand, if you can find it, I'd suggest ordering online from a reputable supplier or finding a local pro artist.

kittens are a special kind of love.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2009 08:37:44 PM »

Beautiful! I'm from Karachi too, and Eid is never Eid without henna  Grin

The cone reads:

New Bride
Emergency Mehndi Cone
A. Khan

Mehndi like this has some chemicals in it, which is why it has such a rich colour. 

I miss having henna in UK. Will visit a desi store later.

Maza Aagaya! (I enjoyed that!)  Cheesy

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2009 11:07:33 AM »

Oooh. They're so beautiful and intricate! I'm jealous, the only henna I ever had got smeared and looked funny. =(
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2009 01:22:53 PM »

These look beautiful,  I wish I could make ones as pretty!
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009 10:50:06 PM »

@Jenianne Yup, I'm starting to think that's the best option. Unless my dad brings it for me fresh from Khi there isn't a local reliable source for me. The ones from stores are iffy at best and I hate having to struggle with the half-dried out cones! It's just frustrating for me and who ever I'm doing mendhi for!! Thanks for the suggestions C:

@tanechka hehe well if Bollywood is to be trusted then there are surely many desi stores in the UK. Thanks for reading that -__-u my Urdu was never very good I'm afraid, neither is my speaking come to think of it but it's cool to find someone here from Karachi. Might I ask whereabouts you lived? My parents own the restaurant Jade Garden in Clifton, ever been?

@eastboundtraffic Thanks! C: It takes some getting used to. When you have it one you really have to concentrate on not touching anything or letting anything touch you. I usually apply it while watching movies that way nobody has to move for a couple of hours so there's less chances of it getting messed up. I hope you'll try again, it's lots of fun and you can go pretty crazy with it since it's temporary, keep trying and you'll find the technique that works for you.

@IndigoCharm Thank you. It just takes a little practice till you develop your own style. Try looking at photos of different designs to help you out. There are some common motifs you'll see that you can practice and incorporate such as flowers or paisley shapes, waves, checkers .etc. Look around and good luck!  
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009 10:50:50 PM by Solarwen » THIS ROCKS   Logged

blue eyed pinup
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2009 08:40:58 PM »

Sooo pretty,  I love them all.  Makes me want to silk screen something like this. 

Please Visit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2009 04:14:28 PM »

wow, those designs are amazing!

Adelaide Marie
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2009 09:38:56 PM »

Wow. Your designs are literally jaw-dropping - they're so incredibly beautiful! I've never had the desire to try something like this before but now I really want to. The design on the inside of the foot is my personal favorite. I would be more than happy to have something like that permanently on my body. These really have me inspired!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose Organic Baby Clothes
Baby Hair Clips
Wedding Wear For Kids
Helping a Child Adjust to School Uniforms
Kids Clothing for All Seasons
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...