A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 300,912
Currently Running With Scissors:
446 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: .:Mendhi // Henna designs:.  (Read 12698 times)
Tags for this thread: henna , ramadan , craftster_best_of_2009  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kaishabackwards
I am interested in politics so that one day I will not have to be interested in politics.

My eyes are nothing like the sun.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009 11:19:14 PM »

I am suddenly very inspired to make a visit to the Hare Krishna temple to get some henna.  BEAUTIFUL work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Solarwen
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009 05:58:24 AM »

@colorxmexstupid7 Thanks

@cookimistress Thanks, please read Jenianne's recommendations as well on how to darken henna! It definitely takes practice, when I first started I did very simple basic designs but then once I got comfortable I started making them more elaborate and my own style developed too! I love looking at mendhi designs online and incorporating bits and pieces into my own designs. Or even straight copy a design you see and like for practice! Good luck (:

@Nymeria How are your cake icing skills? C: They're sort of similar so you can try and use that to practice! haha suuuure I'll do some for you, do you live in either Vancouver or Okinawa?

@variableenigma Sure, no problem. I managed to *slooowly* read some of it CX There's a number but um... I don't think they ship internationally. Though you never know, so here it is:

As far as I can tell it says
New (m/b... nyo?) Bride
cone mendhi *something*
Mobile
0300-3626195
*address?*
Karachi
(I've left it large in case someone better than me at Urdu has a go at it)

@dancindharma Thank you!

@Jenianne Thanks! I love your designs, especially the 3rd picture, it looks like a Tunisian design which I rarely do even though I quite like it because no one seems to like it as much when I apply it on them. It seems like you mix the paste yourself so I'm wondering what you to apply it? Your lines are so thin which is difficult for me to get in the premixed cones ):

@totallyradmom0f3 It might just be the temperature of where you live that causes it to dry faster. I find mine dries faster in Canada than here in Okinawa because it's much more humid here. I'm not sure if you can do the sugar thing with premixed paste but I usually apply it in the evening after all the day work has been done and wear it overnight. Apply it in the evening and once it's dried a bit spray it with a mixture of "lemonade" (lemon juice + sugar / or vinegar if you don't have lemon juice) When you're ready for bed wrap your hand in a strips of cloth and leave it on till morning.

@hayatiggs I've never bought any from online but I think it's more likely to get old henna from stores because it's been shipped and on the shelves for so long! There seem to be quite a few online places selling henna (either in powder form or premixed) so I'd read buyer comments to see which is the most reliable.

@kaishabackwards Thanks (:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Persephone Hazard
I'm not going to live my life on one side of an ampersand

That song was about me.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009 07:16:10 AM »

These are absolutely gorgeous. I am totally in awe of your designs and your steady hand [grin]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When she was good, she was very very good - but when she was bad she was fabulous.
Jenianne
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009 01:00:39 PM »

http://hennasuppliers.com. All of these people sell high quality, fresh, natural henna. All of them are good people too Smiley

« Last Edit: March 05, 2009 04:50:26 AM by MareMare - Reason: To comply with Craftster rules » THIS ROCKS   Logged
EricaS0328
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009 07:00:58 PM »

I was curious...
I live in New Orleans, and I saw this at the voodoo music experience(festival) and have always been curious. How long does this last? I have always been a doodler/enjoyed drawing and I feel like this would be a lot of fun for me to do.
Thanks  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009 08:41:33 PM »

@Nymeria How are your cake icing skills? C: They're sort of similar so you can try and use that to practice! haha suuuure I'll do some for you, do you live in either Vancouver or Okinawa?

I actually used to professionally decorate cakes. I was a Wilton girl! And by Vancouver or Okinawa do you mean Denver?  Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
Sash
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009 10:41:38 PM »

its very pretty work! i'm getting henna'd up as part of my engagement party in a few weeks

love china
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jenianne
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009 04:47:27 AM »

Solarwren! Be Careful! Those mass produced premixes often have nasties in them! Like kerosene, dyes, or non-skin friendly essential oils. Countries where they are produced don't have the standard of labeling laws that western countries do. Even if you are able to read all the ingredients, I don't recommend them because there's no way to know if the list is accurate. If you want to use premixed paste it should be made by a real person, and shipped to you frozen. This is because naturally made henna paste should only have a shelf life of about a week, on the long end, once mixed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Solarwen
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009 06:44:58 AM »

@Persephone Hazard Thanks! Though someone has made me paranoid recently about getting carpal tunnel from doing mendhi too much :O :O :O !!! eek!

@EricaS0328 Definitely give it a try if you get the chance! If you get/make it fresh it'll last for up to 2 weeks. By the third week for me it's usually very very light though you can still see it it you point it out. If you get it premade from a store (who knows how old it could be) then results will be hit or miss. I bought this cone locally once and it was so crappy! I spent so much time on the designs and the colour could barely be seen!

@Nymeria Thar ya gooo! Just put them in one of those cones or "icing bags" and it's like icing a cake. If you're applying it for someone else though make sure they know not to move! With cakes that's not so much of a problem but I've had applications ruined by an ill timed itch or sneeze! Sadly, Denver isn't on route for me XD though I do have family there so who knows!

@Sash Nice! And congratulations (: Do post pictures here if you get the chance to. I love looking at new designs. Unfortunately the people around me aren't that great at applying it so I never get a chance to get both my hands done (boo!)

@Jenianne Goodness! Shocked Thanks for the warning! That's never been an issue for me before though of course I assume that quality control isn't as exact in places like KHI. I've never had a problem or known anyone else to and we've probably been using these for years. Do you know anyone who has had a skin condition or something from using the pre-mixed mendhi? It's just that for me getting it from there is so much easier and cheaper than ordering online and having to make it myself 6__6;
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mycatisnosferatu
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009 03:09:25 PM »

I do not have the patience to do something like that, however it's beautiful.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Understanding Composition and Framing
Understanding F-Stops in Photography
Wildlife Photography Tips
Underwater Photography Advice
Food Photography Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...