A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
545 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craftster seeks Crafsters for Crafty Loving! (Melbourne/Worldwide/Mental Health)  (Read 1925 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PoppyPie
« on: February 25, 2009 08:13:16 PM »

Hi Craftsters!

I am a 24-year old living in Melbourne, and I suffer from mental health issues. I have recently overcome depression, and am currently working through Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (check out my blog at http://www.taleofnyathera.blogspot.com/). A lot of the time, I'm fine, but when I'm not, its easy for me to feel overwhelmed and isolated.

When I'm not defined by mental health problems, I am a passionate, excitable, cheeky thing that adores crafting, the internet, and being involved with community stuff. I'm vegan, adore eating great food, am a foster carer for sick puppies, and have a brilliant partner and fluffy family of dogs and cats. I also constantly travel- I've been around the world twice and in June am heading off again.

I am looking for people who would be interested in any of the following:

- Other people into craft that suffer from Mental Health issues and who may be interested in getting together to do crafty things;
- Craftsters willing to meet up and do crafty things with me to keep me inspired;
- Crafsters the world over who are willing to keep in touch with me about crafty things; or
- Any kind of support/love from the crafting community.

I am in no way looking for people with specific skills related to Mental Health- I have a great management plan and function quite well. What I'm looking for is to connect to others in the worldwide community who are either experiencing similar things or are sympathetic to mental health stuff and are up for creating a great new crafty friendship.

I look forward to hearing from you!

xxx Poppy Pie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bluebubble
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009 11:47:09 PM »

Hey, i'm 24 and from melbourne also. I have mild depression brought on by my mum having severe depression, post traumatic stress, borderline personality etc. I also feel very isolated at times because it seems like most people our age dont understand or dont want to know about it. My husband is great but because my mum and i are the first people he has come across with depression he doesnt really know what to say about it. It would be great to get together to chat or craft. Are you on facebook? Jenn
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AmysSculpturalBeading

www.sculpturalbeading.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009 08:23:09 PM »

Hi!

I'm Amy, 22, living in Melbourne. I have had social anxiety disorder and co-morbid depression for most of my life. I would agree that neurologically typical people have a hard time understanding my atypical neurological functioning. I've been beading for 10 years and I'd love to make Australian Craftster friends too!

Does anyone know when or if there will be another Australian Swap?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sculpturalbeadi ng.com

I like personal swaps!
geek-pride

Hands up if you're over Twilight!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009 01:59:30 AM »

Hi,
I've just gotten back from a year in NZ 3 months ago and would love to meet with some Melbourne craftsters. I was trying to find a crafty group to meet with socially but there didn't seem much available. Undecided
I've never been diagnosed with a mental illness but my sister has, so I have some understanding of the complexity it adds to everyday life.
I'm kind of looking forward to getting back into the social and encouragement aspect of crafting groups. I used to be a member of a craft group in NZ (we're still in touch) and they were the friendliest, most supportive, people I have ever met.
I knit, I sew, I like to make stuff out of recycled materials and to try new skills and techniques. I love geeky, quirky stuff with a sense of humour. And I have a soft spot for vintage stuff. I hope to one day be able to make a living from my craft, but so far have only made a (very) little pocket money selling at one or two weekend markets.
I'm out east, but would be happy to make my way into town to meet up with people occasionally so we can cheer each other on.  Smiley
Or we can continue in a cyber penpal way! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DayleSnail
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009 04:25:53 AM »

Hey there
I've suffered from Generalised Anxiety Disorder, chronic Depression and Social phobia for a very long time (diagnosed around 20 years ago). I'm 35 now. I find great solace in my arts & crafts and I believe that they are a form of meditation, distraction and a connection with others. I used to live in Melbourne!!! If I was still there I would be so up for a regular crafty get together. I'm now in Lismore NSW and belong to a spinners & weavers group, which also does felting, knitting, crochet and other fibre crafts. Luckily they are a wonderful, talented and caring group that understand I have some really bad times. For that I'm grateful.  I really hope you find a local group that has genuine warmth & understanding in it.  Dayle
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kimski
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009 12:34:10 AM »

I'm interested.

Some friends and I may be starting a craft group in the Brunswick/Fitzroy area. Probably on weekends. Let me know if any of you are still interested.

Kim.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
geek-pride

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009 06:41:12 PM »

Ooh! I'd be all over that like white on rice!  Cheesy I'd love to join your Brunswick/Fitzroy weekend group. The only craft groups I've found so far are either meeting near the city at 5.30 on a weeknight, which is hard for me to get to from work or stay-at-home mums meeting on weekdays, which I also can't get to!
Feel free to PM me! If you need any help organising or there is anything I can do I'm happy to help.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Omega
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009 04:30:33 PM »

Hi there..

Some friends and I were lamenting the lack of crafty stuff going on for people who work or study during the day.. and while some of us are mums, we're not particularly interested in the "mumsy" stuff that *is* available.. we like to think we're a bit less mainstream than that..  Wink

So, we recently started the Melbourne Alternative Crafters Meetup.. we're planning on invading CraftExpo together and have some other fun stuff planned too..

Here's the link if you're interested: http://www.meetup.com/MelbourneAltCrafters/

Hope to see you there!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Embonpoint Vintage - Vintage Patterns for Every Body
http://www.www.embonpointvintage.com
kimski
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009 10:13:12 AM »

I tried to sign up but it didn't work.
I'll keep an eye on what's happening though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
geek-pride

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009 11:22:52 PM »

I tried signing up and it worked for me... Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Appearing on Television as a Comedian
Learn About the Comedy Club Host
How to Succeed as a Comedian on the Road
Finding Your Unique Voice as a Comedian
How to Produce Yourself as a Comedian
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...