A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: It's time to vote for your favorite swapped project! Smiley  Vote now through Sunday, August 30th!
Total Members: 302,664
Currently Running With Scissors:
549 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Beginner with an Ambitious Project Seeking Tips  (Read 707 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkie_poh
« on: February 25, 2009 07:33:28 PM »

I have a habit of picking a craft, and make-make-making for a few weeks, then picking something else. Well. I've decided to pick up crochet (an excellent swap partner sent me a hook-roll with a few hooks in it a while back), and, having successfully made a very few swatches, have decided to plan something rather ambitious -- a chevron-patterned afghan  Shocked

Yeah.
I know.

So, if anyone has any tips or pieces of advice (up to and including "make some smaller pieces before you waste all that yarn"), I solicit you for them!

Much thanks in advance Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009 09:22:09 PM »

Make an afghan made of smaller motifs. First, because you can take it with you and are more likely to be able to complete something before you grow bored, and secondly, if you do get bored before finishing the afghan, you can join the motifs into a smaller project, thus, no ufo staring at you from the back of the closet. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009 04:31:39 PM »

My first ever crocheted project was a blanket - striped, done entirely in dc's.  It was large enough to cover the top and hang over the sides a bit a full sized bed...

I say go for it.  If that is what you want to make - go for it.  Break the rules of the whole make a granny blanket or something small then sewing them all together - there is nothing worse than crocheting 120 squares only to be stuck sewing them all together when you are done.

I would pick out a pattern that does not call for anything fancy - no crossed stitches or front/back posts - or even ones that tell you to work only in a front or back loop.  That would just drive you batty on a first project.  Just stick to a simple basic chevron and understand that it will take time to do - but in the end you can be like me and say yup.  My first project was a big horking blanket!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009 10:57:54 PM »

I think you should pick a pattern that you like, and if you like the chevron, go for it. BUT I say, make a small chevron scarf or square purse or something first... just to get yourself in to the routine of the chevron stitch. If you are like me (which it sounds like you are a little) you will want to master the blanket and go on to resin or something, so I say make sure you 'own' the chevron pattern by making something small first OR take your time, read the pattern, count your stitches and go slow at the beginning because I gotta say, when you get going, and then you notice a mistake three rows down in that huge blanket you are not going to want to frog the thing, and then when the whole project is done, and the first rows look like doo doo, you won't want to show anyone your project!
Moral of the story, practice a little, go for the big project and then move on to wood carving! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
Pegatha

A house without glitter is - boring.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009 08:34:11 PM »

When I hear "chevron" I think of ripple stitch, and if that's the same thing, then it's not that hard to do - a few plain stitches, an increase, a few plain stitches, a decrease, etc. To me it's ambitious because of the size; will you get bored before you finish it? I might :-) , but if you won't, I say - go for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beth8144
It is just so stinkin' addictive!

CRAFTING KEEPS ME FROM GOING CRAZY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009 08:12:03 AM »

The first ever adult afghan I made was a chevron and I loved it but they have some sound advice start small. My grandma used to tell me to start with a baby blanket first to get used to the pattern and then see if you like the colors then make a big one. Cause even if you don't like it you can always find someone who wants a baby blanket. Good luck take it slow and don't get discouraged.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas so little time. Will I ever get them all done?
http://wists.com/beth8144
http://pinterest.com/beth8144/
dawnsierra
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009 12:25:35 PM »

My first "big" project was a granny square blanket.. and I STILL have all those silly granny squares sitting in a box someplace waiting to be assembled. Over time I got better and better at making grannies.. meaning the first ones I made look to me, now, to be rather pathetic and I'm not crazy about actually using them now that I can do so much better.
However when I next tried doing a chevron blanket for my mother.. I was actually able to finish it! Somehow with it being an all in one piece.. it was easier to get myself motivated to finish it. (Also it help it was VERY cold that winter so I got to snuggle under it as I worked. hehe) Being its all one piece and its simple a repeating pattern its DOABLE for a beginner. Oh and its excellent practice at increasing your speed. I'm So quick at dc's now.. Cheesy
I'd definitely give the chevron/ripple blankies a thumbs up.. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My very empty etsy shop...
http://dawnsierra.etsy.com

My deviant art account...
http://dawnsierra.deviantart.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
VF COLLECTIONS: Stella Jean - Fall 2015 - Milan Fashion Week - Backstage, Runway & Interviews
VF NEWS: Antonio Berardi - Fall 2015 - London Fashion Week - Backstage, Runway & Interviews
VF NEWS: Peter Pilotto - Fall 2015 - London Fashion Week - Runway & Interviews
How to Remove Gel Nail Polish
Best Celeb Beauty Looks Of The Week
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...