A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
596 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Neo-Victorian/Military Awesomeness! (4 pix)  (Read 3687 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Alexus1325
« on: February 25, 2009 04:13:39 PM »

YAY! My skills are increasing and I cranked out two shirts all for me! (and my bf actually agreed to take pix of me; no more dumb panel-mirror shots Tongue). Once again I butchered BurdaStyle's Lydia pattern. I heart that pattern soooo much!

First up is a neo-victorian top in a slinky green polka-dotted jersey with puff sleeves. The bib (which goes around the back, too) is this fantastic white knit that's like "burn-out" velvet (ya know, with like, the pile missing to form a pattern, I have no idea what it's called when it's done to knits). The bib has a Japanese pattern that's either waves or spider chrysanthemums.

The sleeves are actually pleated rather than gathered because it looked like poo when I gathered it, (hurrah for stitch rippers). And there's totally useless buttons on the left shoulder. The shoulder was SUPPOSED to have a button placket and actually be a functional opening. First time looked like poo, so tore it out. The second try looked like poo, too, so tore it out again. Hence the completely useless but decorative buttons.

My second super awesome creation is slightly military inspired. It has a turtle-neck, a straight-across bib section (so more like colour-blocking), and the same pleated puff-sleeves with a long sleeve attached.

The epaulets were a pain in the arse to make (they're piped, arg!), but look super cute! And you can see here that the topstitching is the same colour as the buttons.

So whatchy'all think?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009 04:22:00 PM »

They are really cute. The top one is my favorite, though from the picture its hard to tell that its green.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Blak-Lotus
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009 05:19:05 PM »

Wow! they look really really nice
I've always loved puff sleeves since I was a kid
great job! ^.^
................... ........tutorial?*cough*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gogosummer
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009 08:00:23 PM »

Oh my goodness!  I absolutely love love love that second top.  I'm a fan of most military/epaulet awesomeness.  I love the colors you chose for it too, and that light blue really gives it a sort of future-military feel that's really neeaat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ariane.phillips
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009 11:09:32 PM »

I love them both!!!  Awesome job!  Can you post the link to the pattern on Burda?  I can't seem to find it! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009 11:33:46 PM »

Glad you guys like! I love the combo of grey and ice blue, too, and had fun making it Cheesy The other top is a very lustrous olive green. The lighting wasn't the best, but your monitor brightness may be a bit low as well; I totally understand if it's a CRT monitor cuz those things are hard on the eyes. This is the pattern link:
http://www.burdastyle.com/patterns/show/542

I did the puff sleeves based on this how-to on BurdaStyle:
http://www.burdastyle.com/howtos/show/218

I took Lydia's sleeve, copied the top portion that I wanted, and made three cuts: one cut down the middle and one cut to each side angled towards the centre at the bottom (nothing stopping you from changing the number of pleats Cheesy). I then inserted pieces of paper exactly the width of my ruler into those cuts and rounded out the top edge. On the fabric, I snipped the seam allowance to mark the pleat placement. From the inside (aka wrong side of the fabric), I folded the marks towards eachother til they met and basted BOTH in the seam allowance and beyond the seam line to hold the pleats securely (don't forget to baste with a REALLY long stitch, to take out easier). Then I attached the band for the short sleeve (sandwich method, rather than sew and flip), and for the long sleeve I had to add a new seam allowance to the top of the rest of the sleeve. I attached the epaulets to the body of the blue/grey one before attaching the sleeve.

Hope that answers some questions Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Le Mieux
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009 04:26:24 AM »

i'm i love with the first one!

how do you put it on? has it got a zip or is it just pull-on pull-off? i would love to be able to make one but it wouldnt end up looking like a shirt  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people

http://www.wists.com/harbles
http://miss-chlo.blogspot.com

UK Swap - sent!
Solarwen
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009 05:07:21 AM »

Wow! These are beautiful and stylish. I really like the second one, the colours and lines have a cool neo-futuristic feel to them. I'd love to make both in either a gothic lolita or steam punk style!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BigMamaBird
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009 07:20:08 AM »

I saw the title of your thread and thought "Neo-What Now?"  but your ideas really work.  I love the combo of the polka dots and the swirly fabric and the sleeves look great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009 02:45:53 PM »

i'm i love with the first one!

how do you put it on? has it got a zip or is it just pull-on pull-off? i would love to be able to make one but it wouldnt end up looking like a shirt  Cheesy

LOL, learning to sew knits was a kinda funky process Tongue And the collars of both are just big enough to pop my head through if my hair isn't in a bun. I think the collar diameter is 16 inches, but I have a small head.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author Alice Wood Explains Wealth Watchers
Joseph Sebarenzi Speaks About His Memoir God Sleeps In Rwanda
Stephen King Reads from Under the Dome
Judy Pasternak Talks About Her Book Yellow Dirt
Vince Flynn on Pursuit of Honor
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...