A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
474 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hidden stitch picorial tutorial  (Read 9662 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: February 25, 2009 01:49:08 PM »

I have noticed that there are quite a few people who have needed this pictorial tutorial. This stitch is essential when making stuffies, and is even used to repair clothes that have torn, especially if they are lined and you don't want to take them apart to repair them.
This may be what your opening may look like:

You'll need to close the opening. I think about closing lips. I finger press the edges so that they have a better crease:

Next, you'll pin the edges closed, or use hem tape to close the lips temporarily, while you sew. If using the pins method, make sure your pins are perpendicular to the opening. This means, your opening will be horizontal, and you pins will be vertical.

Now you can begin sewing. Insert you needle from underneath. You can do this by opening up the gap at one end and inserting your needle from inside.

Crossing straight over to the other side, (this is important that the stitch be straight across. If not, you'll be able to see your stitches), take a very small stitch on the bottom row. This stitch will be approx. 1/4 centimeter. I'm not kidding here. It needs to be small! If it is not small, you'll end up with puckering.

Pull taut, not tight. If you pull tight, you'll be gathering the fabric. Cross straight over to the other side and take a small stitch. I this picture I haven't pulled the thread taught yet, so that you can see the previous stitch.

You now have two stitches. Cross over and take another stitch. Repeat this all the way across.

When you get to the end, tie off your thread and then poke your thread into the project, exiting anywhere far from the knot. Pull thread tight and cut close to the fabric. When you let go, the thread will be lost inside the project, and you won't have to worry about your knot coming untied.

I hope this helps!
Edit to add: pics of how to pin a stuffy for this stitch.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2009 10:26:24 PM by craftewoman » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009 02:10:55 PM »

Any tips on doing this on a 3d item? I only seem to have issues with stuffed things lately.
Great tut though! Thanks for posting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009 02:30:08 PM »

Same thing. Just shove the stuffing down. Then fluff it up again when finished. I'll add more pics when I do a doll or dragon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyPanda227
Crazy Panda-Obsessed Sewing Maniac.

Fear my panda crafting!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009 03:13:42 PM »

This is a great tutorial!
My grandmother just taught me how to do a hidden stitch before I saw this thread!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt,get out the sewing machine.
JennasMommy
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009 06:54:02 AM »

Thank you very much! I don't make many stuffies but I do make lots of reversible outfits for DD and my hidden stitch skills are horrible Tongue. I'm a self-taught sewer so never had anyone to show me this simple technique. Thanks for your help!!!!

~Mary
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iowntoomanyshoes
Major fabric hoarder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009 09:54:31 AM »

Thank you so much =) I have been using fusible heming tape because I am so darn scared to do the hidden stitch. Sad I know  Roll Eyes

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sew like you have never sewn before!!!!!
Chimunculus
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009 04:38:15 AM »

Could you please explain precisely how this would work with sewing features on a stuffie? I still don't really understand what you meant by "sewing one side, then the other".
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fanciflower
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009 07:42:37 AM »

Thank you ksooooooooooooooo much for your tut on hidden stitches, I really needed it! Also, you are perhaps the second person that I have heard call them "stuffies". Me too,ever since my 22 year old was a toddler and got her first one. Sew on....
Jodi Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soorawn
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009 07:56:10 AM »

Could you please explain precisely how this would work with sewing features on a stuffie? I still don't really understand what you meant by "sewing one side, then the other".

This stitch is not meant for sewing features.  It is used to close seams so that the stitches are invisible.  Please read the tutorial carefully again and you will understand better.
I must be turning blind, because after re-reading it for five times I still cannot find that "sewing one side, then the other" quote in the tutorial Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009 10:39:26 AM »

Chimunculu is referring to another post where in she asked how to sew ears on a stuffy when there is no seam to place it in to. I am working on finishing up a doll for a challenge right now, but when I'm finished, I'll add pictures of this to the tutorial.
I did some looking around to see if I could find a video on how to do this, but the closest thing I could find was a lady showing how to attach ears to a hobby horse using a whip stitch.
This stitch has many applications, not just the ones shown.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Craft Stick Snowman
How to Make a Decorated Paper Christmas Tree
How to Make Polymer Clay Christmas Tree Ornaments
How to Make a Rudolph Hand Puppet
How to Wrap Presents with Fabric
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...