A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,060
Currently Running With Scissors:
479 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Purple Garden Bowling ball/Gazing ball  (Read 11294 times)
Tags for this thread: bowling_ball , gazing_ball  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: February 24, 2009 11:04:35 PM »

I have been in love with this idea since I first saw it on here.  My fiance and I bought our first house this past fall and I CAN'T WAIT to have a garden this year!  (On a side note, any recommendations on what to grow?).  Since our backyard is virtually empty, basically, we have a hose, and that's it, lol, I thought this idea would be great to "pretty it up".  I finally found bowling balls at my local ReSale for $2 and the perfect holders for $1.  I finished the first one and I am very proud of it, so here it is!  It was originally swirly purple and covered with small clear half-marbles.

By the way, my fiance thought I was absolutely nuts the entire process.  Men.  Roll Eyes

You can see the other holder in the back that I am going to use for the next one

In-Progress - I had to work in sections because they kept sliding around
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eye.heart.art

big, fat AND delicious!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009 12:02:15 AM »

This is totally rad! I might have to copy your genius! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Help me get naked in Greece! LunaGrrrl.Etsy.com
skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009 12:05:09 AM »

Thanks!  I can't take credit for the idea though, many craftsters have beat me to this project  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009 12:07:45 AM »

Fantastic job.  I love the colors.  It will be a great addition to any garden.  Gosh,  you sure do have patience to glue all those glass things on.lol.  Turned out great. That stand\holder looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Vampberry
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009 12:22:12 AM »

It's very pretty Smiley

I don't know where you live so I don't have any plant recommendations. I suggest you check out lasagna gardening if your yard is totally empty. It would make it easier to establish a garden using this method. I used it on my garden plot last summer and I've never even thought a garden could be so low maintenance. This works for flower beds as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skankamaggot

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009 12:35:29 AM »

It's very pretty Smiley

I don't know where you live so I don't have any plant recommendations. I suggest you check out lasagna gardening if your yard is totally empty. It would make it easier to establish a garden using this method. I used it on my garden plot last summer and I've never even thought a garden could be so low maintenance. This works for flower beds as well.

I live in TX near Dallas so we have very hot summers.  I was thinking about maybe peas, mint, and tomatoes.

There is a space behind my house that is already sectioned off just waiting for a garden!  It gets lots of sun but it's pretty small so I'm not sure about it but I can always expand  Grin  You can kindof see it below, to the right of the door.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftyredhead

My mutts Wig n Stink!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009 02:52:24 AM »

This is beautiful, the word 'magical' comes to mind    and the color is just stunning    what kinda adhesive did u use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skankamaggot

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009 02:58:53 AM »

This is beautiful, the word 'magical' comes to mind    and the color is just stunning    what kinda adhesive did u use?

Thanks!  I used E6000 because it's what I had and it's waterproof, but there is plenty of silicone adhesives/landscaping adhesives that I'm sure would have worked better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

princesskikaru
The Keeks Machine

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009 03:41:49 AM »

This looks amazing! Now I have an idea of something to make my mom since she lives in the garden XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cealy
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009 04:37:51 AM »

I absolutely love this idea!
I have a black bowling ball I was given (my daughter bowls on a league and when you talk nicely to the owners! lol) to make a water feature out of. I think it would look cool if I had a few of these glittery gems hidden amongst my blossoms too!

Garden- Start VERY SMALL! You can always make it bigger the following year, but if you start big, you may be over done with weeding and tending. One thing to make sure of is, leave a boarder around the garden so you can reach it from all sides and for proper air flow.  Space the rows out so you can lay straw between them to keep easy access, weeds reduced and cleanish shoes while in the garden.
My suggestion is to talk to neighbours around who have gardens and ask them what they find successful in their gardens or even ask at the local garden supply store. Im in Canada so what we have up here wont likely do well down there. I like the idea of a lasagna garden, peppers, tomatoes and herbs would do well in your area.
C
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
S1:E6 | From Breakup to Beautiful: Alyson Takes Charge | Decoding Style
Kelly Rowland Reveals Her Beauty And Fitness Tips
The Top Makeup Trends From NYFW Fall 2013: Color and Cat Eyes
How to Paint Heart Nails
How to Create a Cheryl Cole Makeup Look
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...