A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
470 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need some advice - re: what to do with finished cross-sitch  (Read 998 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Spicey
French Fried Texan

View Profile WWW
« on: March 22, 2005 05:59:08 AM »

Hi all,

I have this "stash" of small-sized completed cross-stich projects. I was feeling really industrious once upon a time and, well, that's basically the long and the short of it. Anyway, I have been using them for cards or tuck pillows, will usually add the person's name if it is a gift, for example.
Now, I'm thinking maybe some of these could maybe be used for pouches? I was trying to figure out the best way to do that. I came up with the idea of a sort of fabric "frame" that the cross-stitch would go into and be stitched inside. I am really not sure how I'd go about that though. Then I seemed to recall a product that makes the aida cloth stiff so that you can cut around the design without it fraying and then I could just sew it onto the fabric. Am I dreaming or does such a product exist?
Thanks in advance for all your ideas, advice, suggestions, etc.   Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ecinue88

0.5 second attention sp-

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005 10:21:33 AM »

Iron on interfacing on the wrong side will do what you want. Or, you could serge,zigzag stitch, or bind the edges with bias tape ala quilting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JaneJane
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005 08:06:11 PM »

There is a newer book out that addresses that very question:

http://www.needleworkdesign.com/main.html   

Summer Louise Trusswell book on finishing @$25-$30

The following discusses framing:

http://www.otherwonders.com/hanging/index.html

I have the directions for a nice finish of a flat and an odd shaped ornament but, I didn't record what site I got them from!  If I did - I didn't annotate my list so that I know what was so special about the address.

I have a number of older "Crafts 'n Things" and "Cross Stich and Country Crafts" magazines in which the assembly instructions for something cross stitched are pretty straight forward.  You might check out the local library to see if they have much in their sewing and craft book selection or magazine selection. 

Often smaller motifs are used for scissor pouches, needle cases, sachets, doll clothing, and pieced into quilts.  Another way that they are used is mounted in/on large(er) mounting boards and frames.  They can also be prepared for use as applique using the newer glues and/or interfacings.  Also, check out where felt figures are used. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
btlgrl
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005 08:27:19 AM »

I got kind of tired of the tuck pillow route, so I make mine into small bagsor totes depending on size.  I also make tissue box covers. 

Like this:

close up of 2 of them:

tote example:

Knitting/yarn stash holder I made.  Took an old beat up yard saling find and turned it into this.  I keep current projects in it.  (deatils says, If I stitch fast enough, dos it count as aerobic exercise?)

At one time I had a tutorial designed for the tissue boxes (I used to teach them at the local shop)  I'll see if I can find it if anyone is interested.

I also make just simple hanging pieces (think tuck pillows without the fluff) and needle roll pillows and neck roll pillows.  A nice different take on those.  I have pics of those too if anyone wants to see.

CJ
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011 09:38:52 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
subversivexs
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005 03:13:14 PM »

You could use interfacing to keep the threads on the back from moving and sew it onto a T-shirt!

Julie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Spicey
French Fried Texan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005 03:32:55 PM »

Thanks, everyone for all the advice and links!  Cool

btlgrl, thank so much for the photos. Those look great! I'd love to see the tutorial if you get the chance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crawfish Bisque Recipe
Bison Chili to go with your beer
Country Style and Lemon Balsamic Green Beans Recipe
Wild Sockeye Salmon Roasted on a Cedar Plank
Simple Salmon with Caper Sauce and Rice Pilaf
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...