A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,143
Currently Running With Scissors:
339 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to Decoupage an Altoids Tin  (Read 3761 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AprilDraven
Tutorial Contributor

I aim to misbehave

View Profile WWW
« on: February 24, 2009 06:35:47 PM »

This is My Tutorial on how I personally decoupage an Altoids tin. The finished tin is really smooth. You can use this technique on so many things. I like to get the big cookie tins and make jewelry boxes out of them Smiley The possibilities are endless.
Here are the Materials I use:

I use other materials too of course but these are the basics. I don't use Modge Podge at all. I had a bad experience with it in the past. (some of my tins would rust whenever I used it and it would show through the paper,that was when I was putting pictures inside the tin and not painting the inside, paper directly on metal. Also sometimes it would peel, plus I hate seeing brush strokes.)
Step 1: Get a picture and size it to what you want. There are templates online if you want to be exact.
here is a link to one. http://wrapcandy.com/community/uploads/newbb/3482_4613c8c5bd652.png if you don't like that one you could always find another one or scan a tin yourself.

Step 2: Spray the printed picture with the Matte Finnish I have pictured. It doesn't have to be that kind, just a spray to prevent the ink from running. After it is dry cut it out. (If it looks a little fuzzy when it is dry don't worry about it. It will turn out clear)

Step 3: Clean the Tin and take the lid off. Spray paint the bottom whatever color you want but make the top white. I found that if you spray paint the top a darker color than white the color will show through and make the picture darker. If you don't want the top to be white you could always paint the back of the picture white and wait for it to dry then glue the picture to the top.

(I forgot to peel the sticker off the tin on the left. oops. This isn't really a big deal since I am covering it with a picture anyways)

TIP: I use Plastic dividers (something plastic. It was also pointed out to me that wax paper works too) to put the tins on before I spray paint. If you use newspaper or cardboard once the paint dries, when you go to pick it up, it usually leaves bits of paper or cardboard stuck on the tin. Using something plastic prevents that Smiley

Step 4: After that dries take the paste (or any adhesive you choose. Paste works just fine because after you spray it with all the coats of spray the picture isn't gonna come off.) and glue the picture to the lid. Add glitter now if you wish Cheesy

Step 5: Spray the top and bottom with the crystal clear enamel. (rust-oleum) wait for it to dry.

Step 6: Spray the top and bottom with the triple thick clear glaze. (I use 2 or 3 coats waiting for it to dry in between)

Step 7: Assemble the tin and you are done Cheesy

ENJOY! Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009 09:34:54 PM by AprilDraven » THIS ROCKS   Logged
AttackOfSteph
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009 07:27:34 PM »

I want some Altoids now!

Thanks for the tute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you.

Personal swaps are fine with me Cheesy
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009 08:00:40 PM »

Very nice, well written, easy to understand. 

One point that I would make.  You said that you use plastic dividers.  I would add that I have also used waxed paper with much success.  It also doesn't stick.

Great tute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AprilDraven
Tutorial Contributor

I aim to misbehave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009 09:33:19 PM »

Very nice, well written, easy to understand. 

One point that I would make.  You said that you use plastic dividers.  I would add that I have also used waxed paper with much success.  It also doesn't stick.

Great tute.
Great Suggestion! I just use what is available to me at the time. I never have wax paper so I would never have thought of it. I will have to try it soon Cheesy Thanks I will add it to the Tutorial as a suggestion Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrs.cullen
Will swap for penguins or Wizard of Oz!

Personal swap anyone?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009 05:05:43 PM »

Thats Awesome! I'm definitely goonna have to try that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Duo and Expos Cheesy FOSHOSHO!
-------------------------------------------
I would love to Personal Swap with you! PM me Cheesy
PM me if you would like a deck of cards- I have zillion packs and we could work out a deal Cheesy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sherry Lansing: When a Movie Fails
Sherry Lansing: Pioneer Studio Executive & Philanthropist
Sherry Lansing: True Love at 47
Sherry Lansing: The Choice to Work and Be Single
Sherry Lansing: Worthy of More
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...