A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
402 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ahhh, the memories!! [[pic fat]]  (Read 1008 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lolspeak
« on: October 07, 2008 07:56:39 PM »

Okay, so here's the story.  Our basement recently flooded, because of all the snow and heavy rainfall, eek!  Anyway, we had to gut the whole thing, including our sewing room Sad((  So my mom and I have been going through all of our stuff to clean it out to make room for new and more fun things! 

In my bin of old fabric, I found a couple of quilts I made probably 8 or 9 years ago, when i was first learning.  I made them when i was about 9 or 10 (I've been sewing for a looong time...for me, at least) 

I just used old scraps of my mom's fabric, the stuff is probably 25 or 30 years old by now! gosh! 
Anyway, I just thought it would be fun to share how I started.  I learned how to sew by quilting.  I haven't made an actual quilt since probably 8th grade.  Now i make mostly clothes and purses.  but i am dyeing to make more quilts...SOOOONNN!!! 

ooookaay...now that you've totally lost interest...Here they are!! Laughing is totally permitted, and even encouraged, lol!! Cheesy

This first one is pretty pathetic!! haha...it's about 9"X9".  It is also super super ugly!! ack!

Here's a close up:  you can almost, kind of see my sad attempt at stitching in the ditch...it's all over the place, and not in the ditch at all! lol

This is the back...as you can see, i was *super awesome* at stitching in straight lines, lol:

Here is the second one, it's about 13"X13"...princess-angel bears..?  I didn't even try to make them face the same way! lol

Another sad attempt at stitching in the ditch:

Close up of the fabric:

Hahahahahah!!! that poor side!!

Hopefully I'll make some more, much better, quilts soon!!  I've been nonstop fabric shopping for like a month now, finding projects to do in my new sewing room!!  My sewing room has to get put back together first Sad
Comments and cruel jokes :p welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dessadoll
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008 03:30:39 AM »

I personally think they are precious!   We all had to start somewhere.  I think they are a true testament as to who you have become.  I would frame them, and hang them on a wall in spare room, or even family room, for company to enjoy and hear the  stories of how they came to be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008 11:06:06 AM »

Keep on stitching...you'll get better with practice!

The bears facing opposite directions kind of works for me.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008 12:22:27 PM »

I actually like the blue quilt. It took me a while to spot the asymmetric parts. If you made it into a bag, noone would notice. For a kid, the stitching is okay, and after all, you finished them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greeneggsandham

beat him when he sneezes

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008 04:14:53 PM »

Wow, I think those are awesome for a youngun.  You are too hard on yourself.  In fact, my straight stitching doesn't look so much better, and I am in my 40's Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jen Sews

Formerly known as lukenlarry

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008 03:49:58 PM »

thank you for sharing!   I don't think i even finished my young attempts at quilting, but I wish that I still had them!   I think they are very cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

roccstarr75
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009 08:46:01 PM »

I agree with another...those are adorable.  I think they're awesome for a 9-10 yr old!!!   I also agree you should hang them up, at least in your sewing room.  My 11 yo DD just bought herself a sewing machine with her Christmas money and I have been teaching her to sew.  I am def going to hang onto her early pieces for her!!!! How fun to look back at them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get the Dish: Buffalo Wild Wings Honey-Barbecue
3 Different Ways to Grill & Prepare Corn
For a Winter Weeknight: Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
How to Make The Fluffiest Pancakes
What Does Dallas Taste Like?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...