A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,501
Currently Running With Scissors:
538 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Playing with bridal headpiece ideas  (Read 1932 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mirthgoddess
« on: February 23, 2009 07:28:40 PM »

Hi everybody~
I don't want to wear a veil at my wedding. When I tried some on, I felt like I was in someone else's clothes (not in a good way).

I'm playing with the idea of a hair ornament instead. Something that will still say "I'm the bride!" without saying "I'm trying to feel like someone else."

Here is my first attempt. I cut apart some silk flowers from Michael's and sewed them onto a piece of vintage velvet ribbon. It's not quite right---I think the ribbon is too white against my hair, and I'm not sure if the flowers are too big. But it was an experiment, and it is a start.

Comments? Opinions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
myfairytalescomingtrue
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009 07:38:58 PM »

I think the flowers are the perfect size!  How about a hair clip or barrette? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Store - Fantastic Fabrics at Discount Prices
http://www.JeLowe.etsy.com

My Blog
http://jelowe.blogspot.com/
HeartOn
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009 07:40:35 PM »

I made 3 hair pieces before coming up with one I actually liked (even though the other ones were ok). If you aren't happy with the way this one looks, I say keep trying.
Maybe look up some fascinator tutorials and photos for inspiration?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cyndy225
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009 07:55:49 PM »

I think the white looks really good, it probably would look better with your dress (if you have a white dress of similar shade). You should at least try it on with something white (if you haven't already). Maybe try adding a flower with color that matches your other flowers or colors in your wedding?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lody
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009 04:44:30 AM »

That's very pretty! Maybe some trailing ribbons/a few strips of tulle would make it more "bride-y" ?   (or have you considered making a flower crown? If that's at all your thing, lol, it just seems a little... "bigger" and more "I'm the bride!" ... that doesn't even make sense, does it.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like penguins, stars, rainbows and blue.
If your project has any of these, don't be surprised to see me post in it! Cheesy
Martyni
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009 02:17:40 PM »

I'm in a very similar position. How about trying different colour flowers to make it a bit different?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BoxOfRocks
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009 06:34:55 PM »

I think the size of the flowers is fine, and agree with the PPs that it would be a nice touch to have the flowers in your hair echo the bouquet colors or type.  However, white would work as well.

In one of your pics, you are holding gerbera daisies.  Are those the type of flowers you want in your bouquet? 

I also think you should not wear the ribbon headband.  It adds a little girl vibe that I'm not wild about.  This is magnified by the fact that there are locks of hair in front of the headband--IME, it's a very "Gossip Girl," high-school, trendy look that may not age well in pictures.

I think the flowers alone would look nice tucked behind your ear, which would work regardless if you wear your hair loose or down.  If you are wearing it back, you could also pin it in the bun.  You could also do a jeweled or pearl headband alone with your hair up.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009 09:05:06 PM by BoxOfRocks - Reason: Clarification » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mirthgoddess
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009 08:20:18 AM »

Thanks for the comments, guys. I will probably make a few more types before I make any decisions.

BoxOfRocks: No, I will not be using Gerbera daisies for my bouquet. Those are just some fabric flowers I grabbed for a prop.

Also, FYI I'm planning to wear my hair down, probably in loose curls.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meaggie_dear
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009 08:09:54 PM »

I like what you did there. =]

I don't know how you feel about feathers? I see a lot made with feathers as fascinators for veils and what not. I would wear one if my wedding wasn't going to be so woodsy themed.

I am not really a fan of the ribbon though. I would personally create a side hair clip.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
julietalpha
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009 02:03:34 AM »

I think that looks really pretty.  I can BoxOfRocks' point about the girl vibe but I still like the look of the ribbon.  You could always hide it a bit more under your hair.  You could also use ribbon the colour of your bouquet/bridesmaids.  I also like Lody's idea of a trailing ribbon.  Or a tulle/fascinator thing.

When I first went wedding dress shopping, I'd tried on a number of dresses before someone threw on a veil 'just to see how it looks.'  It really turned me into a bride - the girls said the look on my face was priceless!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So much to make, so little time!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Outside The Box: Spicy Turducken
Check Out The Healthiest Hotel Food
Weight Watchers Swap and Drop on Turkey Day
Holiday Home Cooking With Paula Deen
Turkey Sloppy Joe Recipe with a Twist
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...