I bought this coat at the weekend from the charity shop (thrift store for those in the USA!). It cost £6, and is from an expensive ladies' clothes shop called Oasis. When I got it home I discovered the seam had come undone under one sleeve/armpit. I carefully hand sewed it up, and I loathe hand sewing, so that was something!
I then decided the buttons weren't too my taste- a pale yellowy gold plastic. I cut out a circle in one of my favourite Ikea fabrics, a smaller circle of wadding, sewed around the edge with a running stitch, pulled the thread tight around the button and sewed it together. I then realised that due to the padding it wouldn't fit through the buttonhole, so I carefully snipped 1mm into the buttonholes.
I have only covered one button and stopped to post on Craftster, as I usually forget to take photos when I make anything. The fabric got bunched up when buttoning the coat, so I think I might do the rest with thin elastic running through, to see if that makes any difference- tips are welcome.
Oops- I thought I took a photo of the coat before I took all the buttons off, but apparently not! It's a pea green faux double-breasted coat in a wool-style polyester mix, with lapels and a belt. I commented on someone's craft room on here in pea green and I'm just loving the colour lately so when I saw it I had to buy it. Wool gives me a rash and this coat has a funnel neck so I'm glad it's not wool :-)
1. Iron your moomins!
The original button- I think it was too plain!
The finished button!