A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,704
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Can I please have some advice and opinions on this  (Read 633 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

susanna mayfair
« on: February 23, 2009 01:53:00 PM »

Ok, so I am a total newb, have not made anything yet. I have some tea towels and patterns I bought from sublime and I am going to do at least one of those before I jump into this.

My husband died in Sept. This mother's day is going to be very difficult for us all, but I want to do something special for his grandma (he was super close to her, first grandchild, and a real comfort to her when his grandpa died) and his mother. He always used to buy his grandma little stuffed Eeyores for Christmas. I don't know why exactly, but it was a little thing that he did for her every year. I would like to embroider her an Eeyore. His name was Chris and his mom always called him Chrissy Pooh (and our son is Chrissy Pooh 2), the Winnie the Pooh movie came out in '77 (the year that he was born), so I would like to make her something with Christopher Robin and Pooh. Here are the pictures I am trying to decide from.

I am really drawn to the second the most, but I love them all. The third one I would like to do since it is actually from the movie, rather than the classic pooh, but I am afraid that I will really mess up faces, and since the other 2 are the backs of heads, my chances of not screwing it up are better.

So the questions I have for you all are these:
Which picture do you think would work the best for a total newb?
I read the threads about crayon tinting and I am wondering of that is more the way to go fill things in. I am not sure though. It looks easier than all that satin stitching. I am not trying to get out of doing what will look best though so what do you guys think?

Is this foolishly ambitious for a newbie? Any suggestions, tips, technique suggestions are all highly appreciated. Sorry for making this so long. I just wanted to give some background. I just really want to do something special for them this year since I know that it will be the hardest mother's day for them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christephi

From a tiny seed grows a giant tree.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009 02:52:58 PM »

I'm not a greatly accomplished needleworker, so I don't have any good advice for you on that end, but my daughter watches Winnie the Pooh (the 1977 film version) ALL DAY EVERY DAY! So I thought I'd put in my 2 cents about which picture to choose.  Since the second one, where Christopher Robin and Pooh are standing on the bridge, is from the part where Christopher Robin is saying goodbye to Pooh before he goes off to school, it might be most appropriate for your project.  Sad, but appropriate. My husband hates that part of the movie, but I love it. I think it's very sweet and well done.

Okay, that's my 2 cents.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: Sprouting Flowers

Follow me on Twitter @christephi
JLMS
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009 05:20:34 PM »

I am drawn to the second one, too. This is a lovely thing for you to do. I am so sorry for your loss.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisalady161
Domestic Goddess & Closet Anarchist

...it's beautiful, and so are you...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009 06:00:47 PM »

My heart goes out to you for your loss.

I have loved the Pooh movies since they came out as short films in the mid-60's (when I was little). 1977 was when they were made into a full-length film.

All those images are great, but why not do Eeyore munching thistles?  Would it make his Grandma (or his Mom or you) cry too much?  Here's a site I found with Eeyore pics:

http://www.winniethepoohbear.net

The second image is fabulous, but I'd spend the better part of a year stitching it and I've been embroidering for 30+ years.

How about trying to paint the second image onto fabric or print it on printer fabric (you can find that at craft stores), then making the image 3-D by outline stitching it?

I can personally attest to the fact that embroidery can be great therapy when you're sad.  I wish you the very best!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009 06:06:26 PM by lisalady161 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

'First your pants, then your shoes' - Gary Larson, The Far Side
chanemza
Your temper brings dishonor to my happy mushu palace.

Chick of The Sea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009 07:51:59 PM »

I love lisalady's idea of outline stitching on (color) printed fabric.  I also think that maybe you could maybe do a similar thing with an eeyore, and either pop them into a frame with a mat that has double openings or applique them onto little pillows or something like that.  Ilike the idea of the frame because it could be hung near photos of him...  but the pillows would be something physical to hold onto.  When my uncle died (he was more of a big brother to me, very close in age), all I wanted were some of his old clothes to make a quilt out of so that I could have him sort of near to me - in a way.  Make sense?

You're in my prayers, and virtual hugs, love.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fatewineroses
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009 03:17:58 AM »

I truly am sorry for your loss and think it's a wonderful project you're taking on.

I think that all three would be wonderful and not too hard for a new embroiderer.  I agree that the second one might be more poignant for your use, but I think that you could easily do any of the pictures you suggested.  Remember that it does not take complicated stitches to complete a project and make it look good.  There are scads of projects I've seen posted here on Craftster that are beautiful using only one or two simple stitches.  Case in point weighanchor's ship pillow (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=289731.0) was done in ONLY back stitch and it's beautifully intricate.

As for crayon tinting...it's easy to do and wears well.  At the same time you don't only have to use satin stitching for filling in color.  You could use split stitch or long/short stitch to fill in color in place of satin stitch.  Both are easy to do, merely time consuming.

Remember that you will be far more critical of anything you produce.  Your husband's grandmother will more than likely be seeing your project through a haze of tears and love.

Take your time, don't be afraid to undo your work to try again. Most fabric is very forgiving.  Good luck with your project and be sure to post pictures.  We'll all be thrilled to see how it turned out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist
Uncertain Creativity
seekingstars on etsy
IamSusie
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009 06:15:49 PM »

I am so sorry about your loss. I hope you will find that creating a sentimental embroidery like this will be therapeutic.

I am with you about being scared of doing faces.  I do them, but sometimes it is tricky to get them to look just right. My vote is for you to do one of the first two choices. 

This does not need to be a project that takes forever.  Trace the picture you choose and translate it into simple lines.  You only need to stitch the outlines, it isn't necessary to use a whole lot of fill-in stitches.  If you find that it is too light, you can try tinting the fabric with crayons or fabric markers.

Good luck with this sweet project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dottyral
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009 04:18:28 AM »

I am so sorry for your loss.  What a nice gift you're creating.  I agree with the others - simply outlining would work beautifully.  Filling all of that in with Satin Stitch might be overwhelming to a new embroiderer.

I wouldn't worry about the faces in the third picture.  Not much detail or realism.  You'll do fine with any of the images.

Best.
Dotty
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dottyral.com - Emery Pincushions and Pincushion Rings
http://DotDotStitch.etsy.com - embroidered items

blog - Totally Tutorials
http://totallytutorials.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter N
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter X
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter Y
How to Draw Cosmo
How to Draw the Dark Knight
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...