A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
428 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Coffee Filter Roses UPDATED 4/8/09 With Final Wedding Bouquet  (Read 33185 times)
Tags for this thread: rose , flower , featured_project , bouquet , coffee_filter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stafishtaylz
Don't lose your dinosaur.

I have a rock, I have an iron.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 23, 2009 10:08:15 AM »

I'm planning a wedding this June, and I really would like to make my own bouquet, mixed media type. I was stumbling around craftster this morning looking for different ways to make flowers. Someone mentioned coffee filter roses, but I couldn't find any pictures. So, after some google research, Martha Stewart, and  trip to www.mommymakesroses .com, I found a great tutorial and video on how to do this.

I'm pretty happy with the results, but could use some more practice. I'm not entirely excited about the way the colors came out, but I used the water colors I had on hand. It doesn't look as real as I would like. Next time, I'll go shopping for just the right colors. Start to finish this rose took me about 2 hours. I didn't wait for dry time because I was too impatient. I used my hair dryer on low which worked well.

It was a bit tricky because I've neevr used florists tape before, and I thought it would be sticky...its not. Its got a waxy finish that sticks to itself for anyone who doesn't know (I didn't!).

Now...to start thinking about the colors I want for my wedding bouquet!!!

If anyone else makes these please feel free to post them here, I'd love to see your color creations.

Heres the finished product!

Attempt number 2! This one took me about a half hour less. I'm a bit happier with the gradiation of color. I was able to wrap it a bit better, but I think I wrapped it a bit too tight to get all the petals apart...oh well! I guess I'll hearn with each one!

Theres also a kit to make paper orchids...I might give it a try since I can't seem to keep the real ones alive...

Update: Number 3...I'm addicted!!! This one came together in about an hour. The forming, painting, and shaping gets easier every time. I think I'm going to use this particular one in my bouquet. We'll see what my mom thinks about the color.
Just made:

With first coat of paint:

Done!

UPDATE 3/5/09, I finshed these up this morning. I've been working on them on and off for about a week. These are the total of 7 coral ones for my actual bouquet. I have to decide which color to make next to mix in with them!

UPDATE 4/8/09, I've been working on these ochre colored ones for the past few days. They're much better than the coral ones as far as shaping and professionalism I think. But, now that they're all together in the bouquet they look fine. I think I'm done with it...maybe some greenery or ribbon or something...any suggestions???

« Last Edit: April 08, 2009 10:58:14 AM by stafishtaylz » THIS ROCKS   Logged
eirle

Ph.D. complete. Back to crafting!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009 10:24:47 AM »

This is spectacular! I thought it was a picture of a real rose from the thumbnail! I love coffee-filter roses and have seen a lot of great ones on Craftster, but this one is the most realistic one I've ever seen. I'm sure your wedding bouquet will be gorgeous. Be sure to post it so we can all ooh and aaah over it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dare to Dream. Dare to believe in what is possible and instill in others the same sense of possibility." -C. Fiorina 2004
mlheran

Jack of all trades

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009 10:26:05 AM »

Shocked I totally thought that was a real rose! I think I'd have to get right up close and smell it to make sure! Fabulous work -you'll have an amazing bouquet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest
swaps: -
dancindharma
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009 10:26:25 AM »

Great idea for wedding flowers!  I didn't have many flowers at my wedding because I thought it was such a waste of money on something that wouldn't last.  But this would be perfect because they will last longer than real flowers and they are hand made!!  Fantastic idea.  Can't wait to see pics of your wedding flowers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenn Smiley

My friend, Emily, is giving away free lesson on how to make a boutique girls hair bow.  Get your free hairbow lesson at http://www.LearnHowToMakeBows.com

Submit Your Craft Video and Win $300.00
http://www.CraftsContest.weebly.com
stafishtaylz
Don't lose your dinosaur.

I have a rock, I have an iron.

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009 10:30:01 AM »

Thank you all SO much! It makes me feel a bit more confident having opinions other than my own. I'd like to make a few more and put them in the house and see if my fiance can tell if they're real or not...he'll be like "who gave you flowers.."
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maytina
knitting is hot

just keep knitting!

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009 10:46:46 AM »

Woah! I thought it was a real rose from the thumbnail as well, your bouquet is going to look amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eye.heart.art

big, fat AND delicious!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009 10:56:09 AM »

Whoa!  I too can't believe these aren't plant!  What ever you end up doing for your bouquet will be spectacular because these are amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Help me get naked in Greece! LunaGrrrl.Etsy.com
Capt_Jordi

Beachin it up!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009 10:58:24 AM »

That is so pretty! I love it!
Shocked I totally thought that was a real rose! I think I'd have to get right up close and smell it to make sure! Fabulous work -you'll have an amazing bouquet!
you should totally get some rose scent and spritz it on them! Really fool people!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

malmow
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009 11:08:50 AM »

This is beautiful. I think its great that you are going to make your bouquet. Keep us posted on your progress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
prettyinkpink
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009 11:26:31 AM »

WOW, that rose looks amazing as a first attempt, so I can't wait to see the final wedding bouquet. Thank you so much for sharing the link for the tut!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bill T. Jones on the Evolving Theater Culture
Michael Yeargan on Creating the American Ring of the Nibelung
Video De Larry Hernandez Gente
Saving the Fading
Startup Profile: Cannon.Fm App Demo
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...