A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,517
Currently Running With Scissors:
607 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Epic "L" Shirt (Death Note)  (Read 1186 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2009 09:24:40 AM »

This is a mix of a few different crafts, but it's appliqued so this seemed an appropriate board.  I'm always crafting up something, whether it's something knitted, stenciled, appliqued, etc.  But, I guess I sometimes get carried away making stuff for other people and neglect to make things for my own kiddies.  I just recently finished making a bunch of Yo Gabba Gabba shirts for my 2 yr old as a birthday present and while I was working on them, my 5 yr old, Sebastian, came up to me and said "Mom, how come you never make me anything?  Like any shirts or anything?".  Needless to say, that was a knife to the heart of a crafting mom.  And a situation that had to be remedied with a quickness.  So, my husband, Sebastian, and I are big Death Note fans.  And of course L is our favorite character.  Here's what I came up with! 

First, I found a good image of L.  It came from one of the posters from Death Note.  Then, since he pretty much blended into the background, I had to do all kinds of Photoshop business to separate him from the background so I could trace him.  I traced most of him onto an old shirt of Sebastian's (after ironing some interfacing to the wrong side of the shirt) that happened to be the perfect color for L's skin, and then painted him with acrylic mixed with textile medium.  I freehanded most of the line detail in his shirt, pants, and face with pencil and then went over that with black.  After that, I cut him out, leaving a smallish border, which I painted a dark red so that L's hair wouldn't blend into the black shirt I was planning on sewing him to.  I fused L to some Heat n' Bond, ironed him to the shirt I wanted to use and then sewed him down.

Next, I traced, cut, fused, and appliqued the "L" logo to the back of the shirt.  To those that don't follow Death Note, the L is what comes on the TV when L is doing a broadcast because no one knows who he really is at first.

And, in case you're wondering, I called this an "epic L shirt" because it took me a freaking long time to paint L and get all the details of him right.  I think I did a pretty good job of capturing him!

Here he is while I was painting him:

And here he is after I finished painting, but before I cut him out and painted the red border.

So, that's that!  Sebastian loved it!  And I don't feel guilty anymore Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah we don't take orders well.  Unless they're to get on the dance flo'.  Or raise the roof.  Or make some NOIZE...with a Z!"
BirdieSays
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009 09:34:25 AM »

I've never heard of Death Note, but that is a seriously cool shirt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
devilxkat
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009 09:54:06 AM »

Great job, both Ls look perfect!
Lol, that shirt is definitely gonna get some attention and I'm sure a few "Where did you get that? Can your mom make me a DeathNote shirt?" !!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KitschyCoo
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009 10:00:36 AM »

I've never heard of Death Note either but you did an amazing job!  Looks very cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009 11:48:41 AM »

excellent!  clever with the shirt to match the skin  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

UUmom2many
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009 03:27:12 PM »

This is one of the many reasons i love craftster. I have now learned about something new: Death Note. It looks fantastic and I can't wait to get some!

The shirt is kickin too! What a cute lil' guy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crystal

Homeschooling mom to five, 2 with special needs. Fabric hoarder, urban homesteader, writer, weight lifter and general crafty bitch.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Southern Breakfast
How to make Lima Beans
How to make Fried Squash and Zucchini
How to make Mashed Potatoes
How to make Salisbury Steak Hamburger Steak with Gravy
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...