A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 305,038
Currently Running With Scissors:
502 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: alternatives to a stick blender for cp soap?  (Read 1719 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TexasThistle
Innocent until PROVEN guilty

This is complete BS.

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2009 06:45:34 AM »

I just spent a lot of money on soapmaking supplies and tools. I have the digital scale amd the lye and safety gear and whatnot, but what I do not have is a stick blender. I looked them up and everywhere I go, they are pretty pricey.

I know they didn't use them in the olden days of soap making, so could I just stir the mixture at this point?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am open to personal swaps (feedback is untrue)
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009 07:07:26 AM »

Yup, just stir until your arm falls off.  On of the bad things about hand stirring is if you use a lot of solid oils in your recipe, your soap mixture may cool off, causing the solid oils in your recipe to resolidy and causing false trace.

If you do hand stir, place you soap pot in a sink of hot water to keep the temps up.

As for SB being expensive, Rival brands are around $10 at Walmart or Kmart, or you may find one in a resale shop like Goodwill.

Don't use the SB continuously when stirring your soap.  Have it on for about a minute, then hand stir, use SB, hand stir.

I've had 4 Rival brand SB in the last 10 years.  Only one was new, the rest were from Goodwill.  Only one of them had died on me.  The other 3 are going strong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009 07:11:04 AM »

I used my coupon and bought one at bed bath and beyond..you could also try thrift stores and craigslist..people are ALWAYS selling them..oh,and garage sales..

good luck..

I have heard of using a regular hand mixer but theres something about adding air and such I am sure there are others that can comment on using that though..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009 08:06:49 AM »

Yeah just buy one, you won't be sorry. I used to pick them up at the Meier and Frank home store when they were having their ridiculous sales and coupons and usually got 2 for $15. I have a bunch now. The only one I ever burned up was my mom's fancy schmancy Wolfgang Puck one! Oops!

I tried the hand mixer thing before and it didn't do a whole lot for me. Plus I was worried the mixer attachments were aluminum.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Nymeria

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009 07:24:36 PM »

Don't use the SB continuously when stirring your soap.  Have it on for about a minute, then hand stir, use SB, hand stir.

I actually SB continuously (except for when I'm checking trace levels)...  But I do agree that you can pick up a SB for $10-20 and they'll last you a good long while. The $10 PoS ones last about 2-3 years, if you soap a LOT. Maybe longer if it's just a side hobby. It's not a bad investment and you won't be sorry.

HOWEVER, I did hand-stir for the first 3 years of soap making. The key is to stir at the same, brisk speed and fairly forcefully. You will get a helluva workout if you hand stir! Just be sure to use a brisk, continuous force; pretend you are rivaling a hand mixer at low-medium speed. Depending on your oils it'll take anywhere from 1.5 - 2 hours. I used to pop in a movie and sit on my couch with my soap pot (in a big plastic wash bin for safety). The only problem was if I chose a movie that was too short and it would end and I couldn't get up to change it because you have to continuously stir... oh the "good ol' days."  Roll Eyes

I know some people who use hand and stand mixers and it DOES put air into your soap. Which means lots of air bubbles and different consistency.

ETA: I should say there are some VERY pricey stick blenders on the market but you don't want those for soaping. Like Kitchen Aid and Cuisanart; those are for serious chefs. Not people who are dunking them in lye and oil! The cheapies are just fine!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009 07:26:33 PM by Nymeria » THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009 06:40:50 AM »

I actually SB continuously (except for when I'm checking trace levels)...  But I do agree that you can pick up a SB for $10-20 and they'll last you a good long while. The $10 PoS ones last about 2-3 years, if you soap a LOT.

Maybe the $10 PoS stick blenders will last 2-3 years, if you soap a LOT and you use the SB continuously.

Of my four $10 PoS stick blenders (only one was new, the other 3 were bought used) I still have 3 going strong after 10 years of soaping a LOT (at least 100 lbs of soap a month).

I think I've spent about $15 in stick blenders over the last 10 years.  If I used them continuously and had to replace them every few years, I would have spent $40-$50 in SB and have only 1 of them.

Just think of the EO/FO I have been able to buy with the extra $$ I've saved just on SB!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

Nymeria

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009 08:08:07 AM »

Of my four $10 PoS stick blenders (only one was new, the other 3 were bought used) I still have 3 going strong after 10 years of soaping a LOT (at least 100 lbs of soap a month).

I think I've spent about $15 in stick blenders over the last 10 years.  If I used them continuously and had to replace them every few years, I would have spent $40-$50 in SB and have only 1 of them.

Just think of the EO/FO I have been able to buy with the extra $$ I've saved just on SB!!!!

I always tell people about 3 years because I did have two crap out on me. But they were the really cheap $9.99 model I found at Big Lots! or something. I sprung for the $15 and have had no problems since. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009 08:50:59 AM »

All I'm saying, Jenn, is if you use them in an off/on manner, they last years longer and it only takes a couple more minutes for your soap to come to trace.

Mine are all the cheapo $9.99 brand (Rival) and two of the surviving were bought used 8 years ago!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

TexasThistle
Innocent until PROVEN guilty

This is complete BS.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009 10:18:52 AM »

i might invest in one when I go to buy the second half of my soap making supplies. I still havent decided yet
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am open to personal swaps (feedback is untrue)
Nymeria

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009 10:52:39 AM »

i might invest in one when I go to buy the second half of my soap making supplies. I still havent decided yet

Getting your supplies together initially can be daunting and can cause your debit card to randomly burst into flames (true story). But the good thing is that once you get the big ticket items, you're set. If you stick with grocery store oils to begin with, you'll have a nice, affordable craft that is a lot of fun. Soaping is definitely my "zen" moment. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Underwater Video
How to Make Your Own How to Film
Learn About the Film Noir
10 Books to Read Before They Hit the Big-Screen - Part 1
Elizabeth Taylor Dies at 79 of Congestive Heart Failure
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...