A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
370 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first wallet // completed sewing project of the year!  (Read 522 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

popsicax
« on: February 22, 2009 01:46:43 PM »

Yesterday I sewed a wallet.  =o)  I'm impressed, so is Brian [hubby] - I have a lot of things I would fix, but it really isn't bad for my first sewing project of the year - that I completeD!

LEARNED:
-how to change a needle in my sewing machine
-ripping out stitches IS okay
-I can complete a sewing project!
-I can sew a straight line if I have a straight line as a guide somewhere on the fabric.

WILL CHANGE NEXT TIME:
-white thread for over the velcro
-make sure all cuts are straight!
-add another peice of velcro at the top of the wallet to hold it in better.
-make sure all the seams are closer to the edge [I did a pretty good job at this, but I can do  better. =x]
-make sure the fabric is more snug so it isn't  baggy and I wouldn't have to worry about things falling out!
-add something to the cover so it isn't so boring.  Design from fabric; stencil; something!!

Front

Inside

Money goes in here..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PurseStuff
Purse Stuff - Paula

Handcrafted Purses & Purse Accessories

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009 02:59:18 PM »

You GO Girl!    Look at all you learned just from this one project.  You should be so proud of yourself. 

Please don't stop now.  If you did this good of a job on your first project and learned so much, just think how wonderful your upcoming projects will turn out. 

Did you create your own pattern or did you use a tutorial or pattern to create this?

I'm serious when I tell you not to stop now.  Get some fabric out and get going.  You have what it takes to create wonderful projects and I hope to see more of them here.

Purse Stuff - Paula

PS - you are right.  Ripping out stitches really is OK :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Purse Stuff - Paula
www.PurseStuff.com
http://pursestuff.blogspot.com
Facebook - Purse Stuff
popsicax
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009 03:25:38 PM »

You GO Girl!    Look at all you learned just from this one project.  You should be so proud of yourself. 

Please don't stop now.  If you did this good of a job on your first project and learned so much, just think how wonderful your upcoming projects will turn out. 

Did you create your own pattern or did you use a tutorial or pattern to create this?

I'm serious when I tell you not to stop now.  Get some fabric out and get going.  You have what it takes to create wonderful projects and I hope to see more of them here.

Purse Stuff - Paula

PS - you are right.  Ripping out stitches really is OK :-)

=o)))))))))
I used this tutorial: http://www.craftbits.com/viewProject.do?projectID=1454
I wanted to try a few tutorials to get the basics of everything before I started creating my own.  Thanks so much for your words, they brought a tears to my eyes.. seriously [my hubby blames my emotions on my birth control - but whatever]  That is super sweet of you and it is SO nice to have someone encourage you instead of the opposite.  =o)))  Thanks, I DO hope to make more things and I plan on posting them whenever I do.  =o) Thanks again, it means so much!! =o))

I used to never rip out stitches - I thought it was a sign that I was horrible and could never do this, so I just sucked it up and dealt with it.. of course, I never really completed anything as complex as this before [I made a garter around halloween.. which wasn't that difficult at all.]  Anyways, then I met someone who made the most professional purses on livejournal and I became an admirer and she said she rips out seams all the time and it kinda hit me that you rip out the stitches so you can redo it and make it better in the long run.  =o)))
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009 03:28:55 PM by popsicax » THIS ROCKS   Logged
christinem
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009 04:12:40 PM »

Nice job.  Getting started is always the difficult part.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PurseStuff
Purse Stuff - Paula

Handcrafted Purses & Purse Accessories

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009 06:05:43 AM »

Thanks for the link to the tutorial you used.  It's a nice sized wallet and the tut looks well written.   

I meant what I said. 

I believe you do have the ability to great many wonderful projects. Craftster is the perfect place to come for help, feedback, opinion, ideas on how to do something, etc.  Hope to see more project from you.

Thanks again for the link.

Purse Stuff - Paula
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Purse Stuff - Paula
www.PurseStuff.com
http://pursestuff.blogspot.com
Facebook - Purse Stuff
poppiesinjuly
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009 10:13:04 PM »

Cute wallet.  I really like the fabric you chose.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Will Sexy White Gowns Dominate the 2014 Award Season?
10 Iconic Golden Globes Gowns!
How to Wear Whatever You Want Without Risking a Slip!
How to Get Cleavage Without the Padded Bra
Have You Ever Seen Nicole Richie Look This Cool?
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...