A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,067
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 47
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The random soapy babble thread  (Read 29190 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #320 on: April 13, 2010 11:24:43 AM »

Yeah, obviously I can't say for certain, but if it smells bad in the jar and carries over into the soap? That's generally a sign that something's not as it should be. Cocoa butter is the only oil that really gets a pass on that. Cheesy

Oooooh Fraugee, I hope everything's okay! When you use the word "scarring" that makes me worry for your personal safety! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
Fraugee728

I have crafting ADHD. Seriously.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #321 on: April 13, 2010 11:27:05 AM »

Oooooh Fraugee, I hope everything's okay! When you use the word "scarring" that makes me worry for your personal safety! Shocked

Whoops!  Sorry.  Plug in an "emotionally" ahead of that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step one:  Collect Underpants
Step two:  ? ? ?
Step three:  Profit!

http://sometimessewist.wordpress.com
donnevita

I reject your reality and subsitute my own

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: April 14, 2010 12:31:41 AM »

I bet there are some weirdos out there that would like the smell of ham soap... or dogs

You know how I said we have vegetable shortening here? Well it turns out the vegetable shortening is actually coconut oil its called Copha, the label does mention soybean I think but from internet searches Im pretty sure its mostly coconut oil... hydrogenated - does that make a difference? Is that why they called it vegetable shortening? It seems to be the only actual "vegetable shortening" at my local grocery store and theres like 3 different lards to choose from!

Im almost ready to soap! I just need to get a stick blender, decide on and purchase oils and a mold (Im eyeing up my housemates milk cartons)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dont do what you cant undo, until youve considered what you cant do once youve done it." - Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

http://bubbleswithlub.blogspot.com/

http://www.bubbleswithlub.etsy.com/
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #323 on: April 14, 2010 12:54:27 AM »

Hmm, they should put on the label what exactly the oils are. My vegetable shortening says "hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oils."  I don't know the exact proportions of each oil, but I know what's in it.

I am not great with chemistry, but I think they wouldn't need to hydrogenate coconut oil since it is already a solid. In general, oils that are bad for you to eat (saturated fats and hydrogenated oils) make awesome soaps since a hard bar of soap is desirable. Hard arteries, not so much. Regardless, if what you have is hydrogenated coconut oil it should be awesome for soap! And yay for finding it in a grocery store!

Do you know what the labeling laws are there? Here they have to list ingredients in descending order by amount. So if it was an olive soy bean blend, and it said Ingredients: Soybean Oil, Olive Oil, you would know that there was more soybean since it was listed first. If it's the same there you could at least tell what the larger amount was. Does it list soybean oil first and then coconut? Sorry, I'm just used to US labeling laws Smiley
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010 12:57:11 AM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
donnevita

I reject your reality and subsitute my own

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: April 14, 2010 05:33:18 AM »

Wow thats interesting! I actually dont know the labeling laws, from memory it listed coconut oil first. But on most sites I looked at it only mentioned Copha containing coconut oil but then maybe those people are misinformed. Well there is also the fact its called Copha.. maybe the co is for coconut... but then what would the pha be! Ive eaten copha before when I was a kid and I just thought it was the stuff that magically made chocolate crackles!  

Im going to research the labeling laws!

Edit: We're the same in labeling laws! Yay! And good to know!!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010 06:05:49 AM by donnevita » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dont do what you cant undo, until youve considered what you cant do once youve done it." - Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

http://bubbleswithlub.blogspot.com/

http://www.bubbleswithlub.etsy.com/
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #325 on: April 14, 2010 07:33:58 AM »

As you've found out, vegetable shortening varies in regions.

Here in the midwest USA, vegetable shortening is generally just hydrogenated soybean oil.  Other places (like where Maremare is) it is soybean & cottonseed oils (Maremare, did you know that cottonseed helps with the lather???)  In Canada, I'm told that vegetable shortening is mostly palm oil.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #326 on: April 14, 2010 10:46:40 AM »

I didn't know that, but since I switched to shortening I freaking love my soap so much more! Jeez Cyndi, why didn't you get me off palm oil sooner?  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

« Reply #327 on: April 14, 2010 10:57:39 AM »

I go back and forth with palm oil..sometimes I love it..then when I run out I dont HAVE to use it..

palm oil and i have a love hate thing going on!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #328 on: April 14, 2010 01:26:10 PM »

Jeez Cyndi, why didn't you get me off palm oil sooner?  Grin

ROFLMAO!!  It isn't as if I didn't try!! 

I started the Yahoo Group Tallow_Soapers in 1992 wo help dispell the myths of animal oils in soaps.99.9% of the folks that get rid of palm oil in their soap recipes, never look back.... especially if they go with lard as a substitute!  The other.01% still makes all VO soaps because of their market, but uses AO for their personal soaps.

Aw, Smitten, go get yourself some shortening ... it's less expensive and has a better fatty acid makeup than palm oil.  We're not even talking about the environmental issues!!

Ya know ya wanna!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Fraugee728

I have crafting ADHD. Seriously.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #329 on: April 14, 2010 02:15:08 PM »

OK, guys...I'm back and here to tell the tale of the wine soap that wasn't to be...  (a bit late, but better late than never, right?)

So, I made beer soap last Saturday (beer and honey!) and decided it would be cool to make wine soap as well...ya know, wine and beer kind complement each other, right?

I went to work on the wine soap Sunday morning.  I used a Cabernet Sauvignon from Trader Joe's (Two Buck Chuck!  Who wants to use good wine to make soap?  Not me!), measured out my lye and set to mixing it up. 

**Let me also preface this to say that I have a mask I wear while soaping, but it is just a plain paper mask and not good for much - I just trying to stay out of the way of the fumes while mixing the lye.  It also not helpful that I live in an apartment and have just a hood fan and nearby dining room fan for air movement.**

The fumes the lye/wine put off were the most terrible I had ever been witness to, and, as was mentioned to me earlier in this thread, had to be mixed very slowly because it pretty much causes an eruption when lye and wine are put together.  This stuff BOILED like nobody's business when I put a bit too much lye in at once.  Luckily, it didn't boil over - what an awful mess that would have been!  But, back to the fumes...they seeped through my crappy mask and I can say with certainty that this was the soapmaking endeavor that would take time off of my life, if any.  I don't think words can express the nastiness of it.

So...I let the lye mixture cool and warmed up my oils, and it finally came time to mix them together.  I wasn't happy with how this was going so far, and was about to get even more unhappy.  Actually, I was about to get royally pissed off.

So, I'm mixing them together and everything is looking pretty good except for the fact that the lye has turned the wine to a fugly brown.  I figure, I can add some colorant to make it look more wine-like.  I add the FO (which is also supposed to smell like cabernet sauvignon) and stir for a bit.  And then it hits me.  I FORGOT TO LINE MY FREAKIN' MOLD!  While cursing like a sailor, I slapped a liner into my soap mold and returned to my soaping pot to find brown sludge.

You'd think this would be the icing on the cake, but we're not there yet.  I consider myself fairly lucky because I've made dozens of batches of soap and this is the first time that this has happened to me.  Sure, I've gotten batches that start to seize and I quick get them into the mold, but never had it all just harden in the pot.

At this point I'm more than a little irked, but also determined.  I decide that I'm going to save this batch by doing some WP magic.  Have I ever done WP soap?  No...but you have to start somewhere.  So, I throw it on the stove and start to heat it up.  I'm not sure if the grossness of the lye/wine mixture got reactivated or it was the FO, but it started stinkin' again...and I'm still put off by the brown color.  So, I decide to throw in some colorant.

Not a great idea.  When I finally got it done and pushed into the mold, it looked like someone had eaten a hamburger...meat, bun, all the extras...and then got handsomely sloshed on red wine and threw it all up.  Doesn't smell much better, either:

After this debacle I got the heck out of my apartment to let it air out - it may have been in my head, but I started getting light headed.  I threw out the gloves and washing implements I used with this batch (the smell was just rank...) and purchased a heavy duty mask that filters out fumes from the local home improvement store.  I try to be careful when I soap, and I am certainly not taking any more risks with my lungs and I am never making soap with wine as the liquid base again!

I took a sample of this soap (and my story) to my knitting group last night, and here is what I found on FB this morning:

KRS (my sister) is still slightly nauseated by Jess' vomit soap
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step one:  Collect Underpants
Step two:  ? ? ?
Step three:  Profit!

http://sometimessewist.wordpress.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 47 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add Photos to a Frame
How to Personalize the Urban Grunge Template
How to Add a different background
How to Change the Color of a Digital Backdrop
How to Create a Sports Poster
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...