A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 304,842
Currently Running With Scissors:
443 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cardboard furniture DONE (pics INSANE)  (Read 32333 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project , craftster_best_of_2009 , cardboard , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mamandemma

Crapouille once, crapouille forever

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 21, 2009 03:34:25 PM »

Are you ready for total madness? Let me tell you a story first. I live in an appartment with very few furniture (Alcooholic bipolar ex husband to be = destruction of almost all I had). I live with my pay only (happy happy to have a job which allows me to pay my rent!!) and I now have ot raise my kid by myself... Anyway... i needed a furniture for my living room. BUT I couldn't find something that I liked AND could afford... What can you do when something like that, almost an obsession, get you? Well... you go online to find inspiration and a solution to make something by yourself... And I found! Card box furniture!

Done!

So here is what I did:
1. Draw my furniture on a tiny piece of paper... the exact shape I want. I wanted something funny, sturdy ( 4yo and cat live here!). I wanted a drawer ( to put .... stuff!)
here is what I achieve:

2. Get a big card board box... well, I went downstairs and looked into the recycle dumper... Found this amazing appartment bike box... perfect!! Now let's get serious! I draw my shape on it 3 times, being carful that I wanted a drawer on the bottom so I only cut one 'hole' on one of the shape... which will be the back of my furniture. Then I cut pieces of card board of the width I wanted my furniture to be. Assembled all that ( 41 pieces of card board, but I forgot to take a picture... ) with hot glu. Cut and glued the sides of the furniture, the inside of the 'holes'.. then I realised I didn't have enough card board to built the drawer... It's ok... I will keep an eye on this recycle bin hahahaha. Till then, it will be like a shelve...

3. Apply kraft paper on every angles to hide the structure and make it... pretty.

4. Make some home made primar (water, pva glue, Meudon white, linen oil) and apply it on the whole thing...

5. Realise that it was 'wounded': a piece of kraft paper unglued itself and made that uggly 'scar'... What to do??? think... And here is the solution I found: humidify it, try to glue it back... didn't work. So I cut a piece of kraft paper and applied it to the 'wounded' part, just like a bandage... and here you go!!

6. Paint it. 2 coats of acrylic paint. It's red!

7. Vernish it... with aquarethan vernish... 3 coats... no changes from earlier step. it's just smoother, and stronger. Another coat tomorrow night and I will be able to show it in its defiitive spot, next to my sofa..

I made the drawer a few days after the main furniture... because of the lack of cardboard!

8. Make actual drawer. Take the measurements of the bottom and sides of the drawer. Cut 4 pieces: Bottom, saides, and back. Then I decided to go wild and made a flower power drawer front. I cut the actual shape of the drawer front into two pieces of card board. Then I cut a big flower. Then I cut my 'handle' shape 4 times. Glue time!! I glued the back, sides and bottom pieces together. I glued the 2 front pieces together and pressed them. I glued the 4 handle pieces together, making a 4 layer button. Let the pieces rest... then...

9. Kraft paper time !! Put paper kraft on all the angles. I also put some kraft paper around the flowers and around the handle... let it dry... then... glue time again, to glue the front to the rest of the drawer...

10. Primer time!! Make primer and put 2 coats on each part of the drawer.

11. Paint time!! I painted the actual drawer in the same red than the rest, and the front part in yellow. Then I painted the flower in black with yellow and red spots and the handle in red, with some black and yellow spots. I realized that I needed something else... so I painted a flower directly on the front... (I took the pics while it was drying after having been vernished..; the 'white' effect is my wet vernish....)

12. Glue time again!! Time to glue the flower and the button to the front part.

13. Vernish time!! Only one layer on the drawer body. And three on the front!!

14. Happy time!! It's done!!!

And it can hold a good weight... see here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=293410.msg3369397#msg3369397

I am proud of having been able to build my own furniture... size, shape, color I wanted... features I wanted... just from a card board box! And thanks to the web!!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009 04:29:12 AM by mamandemma » THIS ROCKS   Logged

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Spirited
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009 03:43:05 PM »

That's a wicked idea for cardboard!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Who needs stumble, when there's this!
lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009 03:47:15 PM »

This had got to be the most useful thing I've seen done with cardboard yet!!! I can't wait to see pics of it all painted! This TOTALLY ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
Genesis1:1
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009 03:48:00 PM »

Awesome  i love your design!  Thanks for the tut and hope to see  more of its progress!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Retro_Rose

I shoot people for a living. ;o)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009 03:54:19 PM »

This is so friggen brilliant that I must try it myself!!!

I love your post! Thankyou!

*pounds 'this rocks'*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CaterpillarPeacock
Crawling for your love.

Tiny hats always beat big ones.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009 03:54:52 PM »

This is WONDERFUL! I've just moved into a larger apartment and have a lot of space that I need to fill, this is going to be it.

Question: Do you have the link to original tutorial you used?? Also, do you think that the hot glue and craft paper will be sturdy enough to make this functional?  I'd like to make something that can be used to store things, like notions and the like in my craft room.

regardless, this is just amazing and I can't wait to see it finished! Keep us updated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the_christine
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009 03:59:19 PM »

Wow, that is so amazing!  What a creative (and functional!) way to recycle cardboard boxes. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zlimone
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009 04:06:58 PM »

All I can think is WOW! If I didn't already have a surplus of furniture in my teeny room I would make something like this. Heck, I might even make something anyways.

..This Rocks!!!!!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pertelot
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009 04:17:15 PM »

that looks so cool! its hard to believe that the whole thing is made of cardboard! i totally want one now
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beadedbyamy
I grow my flowers from seed bead.

<3 Amy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009 04:19:35 PM »

This does NOT look like cardboard! Amazing! It totally rocks! I'm sure you couldn't use it for heavy things, but maybe magazines and some clothing or other light things. Smiley

Also, don't feel bad about not having furniture. You should see my living room. I have a fireplace... and a beanbag chair. That's it. My boyfriend and I are tired of having a dirty, second-hand living room that looks like it belongs to a poor college kid, but we don't have the money yet to get what we want, so we're just doing without. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Tie Dye a Bikini
How to Do Stitches on the Sewing Machine
How to Use Dye on Garments
How to Apply Tie Dye
How to Make a Camouflage Tie Dye
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...