A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 301,530
Currently Running With Scissors:
634 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tea storage?  (Read 1135 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sinjah
« on: February 21, 2009 02:46:32 PM »

I have a somewhat unhealthy obsession with tea. I always buy more and more tea, and I harass everyone into sending me new and exotic flavors (or old and loved ones, as long as it's tea) - in fact if you want, you can send me some Grin

Anyway, my problem is, I have random packages of tea all over my room (as I am no longer allowed to fill all the kitchen cupboards with my tea stash, apparently Cheesy), and it's becoming really frustrating. I reach for a book, a box of jasmine tea falls on my head, and so on. And I've tried to organize them many times, but nothing has worked.

So, crafty people, can you think of a practical, cute way to store a ton of tea?? Any suggestions for the crazy tea lady? Any tea donations? Just kidding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap? Yes please! Looking for jersey scraps.
Will craft for yarn.

The crafting blog
The pinterest
The wists
Sabriel MoonStar

It wasn't supposed to turn out like that. o.0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009 05:44:05 PM »

My tea stash outgrew it's current home too. To make it a bit more compact I took all the tea bags that were individually wrapped and put them in a cigar box I picked up for free at the local grocery store. That way I didn't have a lot of half empty boxes on the shelf wasting space. It's also easier to see more of my tea at once.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IndigoCharm
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009 04:55:33 PM »

Well -- one time in a restaurant I saw how they brought the tea choices in these sort of divided boxes/chests... and sometimes in thrift stores, they have these large wooden wall... boxes? They have a ton of little compartments. So maybe you could take one of those and organize the teabags by the kind of tea in the compartments.
You could do the same thing with cigar boxes -- some of them are really big and have dividers that you can move or take out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009 03:20:58 PM »

I like a lot of loose leaf tea and keep them in glass jars or in a plastic container.  now if you want to share the tea Wink hehehe. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
cxcaitlyn
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009 08:31:22 PM »

You could get a couple of those little compartmentalized boxes they sell at all craft stores and even walmart that you use to store beads or thread...they'd be the perfect size for most tea bags and you could see them easily!

If not that, you could fashion a sort of shelf/shadowbox thing out of cardboard... You could make it whatever size you wanted to fit larger boxes and it could make a cool display if you covered it in fabric or paper... for the bags you could put 'drawers' in the shelves.

Something like this, but not necessarily with all openings having drawers...also more shelf-like and less dresser-like. Hope you get what I'm trying to go for... Undecided

http://img.en.china.cn/0/0,0,113,784,1154,940,9e711260.jpg

THIS ROCKS   Logged

FriendlyJas
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009 06:27:01 PM »

I have mine in compartmentalised boxes for tea (I've gotten several as gifts) and then I hung these wire pantry shelf things on the door of my pantry. I have all the boxes on the shelves. My loose tea is in jars on the shelves, too. It helps to not have every box the tea comes in sitting around. Although, my two usual ones that I drink daily sit in their boxes next to my stove.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SumariaJane
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009 11:52:56 PM »

probably not the best person to comment on this but..... i hide mine..... in books and in random places that way when i open a cabinet or something i get a random shower of tea bags... it makes my day... but if you want to organize them...
i dunno if they still sell them anywhere but they are really narrow tall chest of drawers that are just wide enough to put two rows of tea bags in.. my grandmother has one that i claim when she dies.. and i told her that.. she laughed and said i would be waiting a LONG time.. but it is awesome..
i've seen them in bathrooms before too.. but i dunno what they are called i know that some of the thrift stores where i live have them...  the last on i saw was about 6 feet tall so it would hold like a couple thousand tea bags atleast..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lickthetoaster
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009 08:58:17 AM »

I once bought a 12x12 square box with a lid at the goodwill.

I painted the whole outside and inside lid black and wrote "tea" in sliver paint marker on the top then varnished the whole outside.

I ripped out the insides of the box part because it had a cardboard organizer for recipe cards, and put in "walls" with some soft wood from the craft store {easy to cut to size with a x-acto knife} with some hot glue.

I then covered the insides with green velvet {gluing the velvet down with washable Elmer's} and bought a tea dipper thingy, two cups that would fit, packets of sugar and stuffed the compartments with different teas.

I gave it to my landlord when she retired.

Sometimes the best organization is one you build yourself.

Get all your tea together and figure out what kind of categories you need.

The system i use now is to put all my tea in "photo boxes". The kind that fits dvds and vhss on their side. Jo ann fabrics sells them all the time for 3.00.

Perhaps you could put up shelves, get some clear boxes or jars and fill them with your tea marking the outside with labels made with sticker paper and the computer. Word would work, but Illustrator is far better.

You could get a long cedar box {discourages bugs} that will fit under your bed and make walls with soft wood then fill the compartments with tea.

The dollar tree is selling clear plastic boxes for cds were i live. You could fill them with tea.

There are boxes at Ikea in the children's section that come in sets of three and kinda look like legos. They are about 2.50 each. I buy two sets every time i go there and always have a use for them. It's like they vanish.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Beauty Oils to Fix Your Skin
The One Color Gwyneth Paltrow Hates to Wear
Best Beauty Products From Dubai
Maquillaje Natural Para El Día - Laura Sánchez
How to Apply Lipstick
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...