A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
542 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: photoshop help  (Read 937 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jasminemuslimgirl
« on: March 21, 2005 01:18:04 PM »

i dont know if anyone has asked this before, and if they have my mistake, but how do you turn a regular pic or image into a stencil on photoshop?  everyone says its super easy but i havent quite perfected it yet and i wanna know if there is an easy way to just transform things into awesome stencils.

i was thinking about trying it with this pic

someone already made it into this, but it isnt flat so i dont know how to use it

« Last Edit: March 21, 2005 01:20:36 PM by jasminemuslimgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

will personal swap for handmade journals or stamps or stamp supplies
worthwhilegirl
my metal baby

We can't all be girl scouts Millie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005 05:53:44 PM »

I have no clue how much you know about photoshop so I am writing out the simpliest instructions possible!  Wink

First open your pic in photo shop.

Then resize your photo to the size you will need for your project - select "image" then "image size" and then fill in the "document size" to what you need.

Select "Image" then "mode" and "grey scale". When it asks if you would like to disregard the color info click yes. Then you will have a black & white picture.

The last thing you need to do is select "image" then "adjust" and then "brightness/contrast" and play with the brightness/contrast until the pic gives you satisfactory lines.

Following those directions, I got this:

Which I think would make a really good stencil.

Best of luck! PM me if you need help!!

« Last Edit: May 19, 2011 09:37:37 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.betweenstupidandclever.com
yep I got a knitting blog

-It's making me blue, Pantone 292....
jasminemuslimgirl
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005 06:57:17 PM »

I have no clue how much you know about photoshop so I am writing out the simpliest instructions possible!  Wink

First open your pic in photo shop.

Then resize your photo to the size you will need for your project - select "image" then "image size" and then fill in the "document size" to what you need.

Select "Image" then "mode" and "grey scale". When it asks if you would like to disregard the color info click yes. Then you will have a black & white picture.

The last thing you need to do is select "image" then "adjust" and then "brightness/contrast" and play with the brightness/contrast until the pic gives you satisfactory lines.

Following those directions, I got this:
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/19457catgirl.jpg

Which I think would make a really good stencil.

Best of luck! PM me if you need help!!

actually,  i still need help.

how do i make a stencil out of this?  its still got details, do i cut those out?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011 09:39:44 AM by jungrrl - Reason: please remove img tags when quoting » THIS ROCKS   Logged

will personal swap for handmade journals or stamps or stamp supplies
worthwhilegirl
my metal baby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005 07:31:06 PM »

If I were going to make the stencil I would just cut out the black or the white parts (depending on what color you want to show through on the shirt).

Anytime you turn an actual picture into a stencil you won't be able to cut out all the tiny details. For instance, I turned this pic:

into this stencil (it's on tote):

Basically just decide which details you must have & which you can lose & practice. The steadier your hand the better details you can cut.

Let me know if you need anything else!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011 08:54:59 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

nevergrowup
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005 07:54:07 PM »

omg thank you i was going to make a rip jerry orbach shirt but figured everone woyuld ask who it is now i can just point
thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
worthwhilegirl
my metal baby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005 09:32:32 PM »

omg thank you i was going to make a rip jerry orbach shirt but figured everone woyuld ask who it is now i can just point
thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool!! Smiley  I am so glad you like it! You should check out the swap board as we are doing a law & order swap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pants
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005 09:43:03 AM »

I wrote this photoshop tutorial a while ago- it shows how to make clean stencils in photoshop - that way there is less guess work when cutting it out. Hope it helps!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=7631.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gasmouth
slave to sleep

i am magic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005 07:42:31 AM »

when you're in photoshop try the stamp filter, but make sure your foreground and background colors are defaulted to black and white.

filter>>sketch>>stamp

this trick doesnt always work, sometimes it looks really bad, sometimes it works great... sometimes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1.) dream about end of world
2.) build fort out of sofa
MissCara

Do not fear mistakes, there are none. -- Davis

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005 08:18:18 AM »

I've played around with photoshop quite a bit and I tried to figure out the simplest way to make a stencil out of any picture.

So here it goes.

Take your picture, open it in photoshop.

Click the image tab at the top, and look for the mode tab (it's the first option in CS). 
In the mode tab, set the image to grayscale. 
It will probably ask if you want to discard color info, just click OK (but if you want to keep a copy of the picture in color, make sure that you do a "save as" and rename this file)

Next, open up the mode tab once again and look for the option that says "adjustments" (2nd option down on the list in CS)
Under adjustments, open the posterize option.  It'll bring up a little window that allows you to put in a value anywhere from 2 to 255. 

The numbers have to do with the amount of grays and such-- all you need to know is that 255 is what the picture looks like before you posterize it and 2 will give you black and white without any grays-- PERFECT FOR A STENCIL!  So type in 2, click ok, and craft away  Smiley

Keep in mind that the edges may be jagged- so after printing, get out a Sharpie and smooth the lines if you find that easier than simply cutting.

I have a picture but I can't figure out how to post it.  Eh, if you want to see it, let me know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

><-- Miss Cara --><
MissCara

Do not fear mistakes, there are none. -- Davis

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2005 08:21:26 AM »

ok, here's the image... sorry about that

THIS ROCKS   Logged

><-- Miss Cara --><
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Flatironing Tips For Your Hair
How to Touch Up Your Blowout
How to Tame Curls With Eva Scrivo
Eva Scrivo on Creating Perfect Waves
John Masters Organics Hair Salon
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...