A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
304 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Decorating around carpet color  (Read 1737 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FierFlye
« on: February 21, 2009 02:14:26 PM »

My second bedroom/craft room has this bluish/greenish/grey colored carpet.  It's proving very difficult to match to other fabrics.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to decorate the room around this carpet?  I'd love to get new carpet, but it's just not affordable right now.

Sorry, it's a bit messy up there right now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookworm2butterfly
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009 05:15:28 PM »

i'd stick with greys, blues, brown, and lime green or yellow!  most of your furniture is brown, and i like brown with blues, and the lime green or yellow would make it look fresh.  i think you should paint the walls either a crisp white, or a subdued grey color.  i don't think the color of the walls goes well with the carpet.  i usually just look at my art, then choose colors to go with my art.  i have a lot of b/w photos, then my paintings have a lot of browns, orange, yellow, red and blue.  so i like using red and orange.

here are some color ideas:
http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Moonshade_II_Wall_Art/310/
http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Patchwork_by_Grace_Feyock_-_Set_of_9/310/
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2800&PRODID=xprd862222
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mandanak

I maded puppets!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009 06:27:58 PM »

The first thing that I thought of was a deeeeep, dark purple! Seems like it would complement the color without *matching* it, since the carpet is not exactly the most beautiful color ever, is it? Shocked)

Or maybe, a chocolate brown?
Or possibly a superdeep teal or french blue?

I think you want something that's a more saturated color than the carpet, so that the carpet acts like an accent color to your more dominant color -- especially if the colors aren't near each other on the color wheel because finding a match to the carpet seems tricky.

Does that make sense? I hope so.
Good luck! Shocked)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To craft and to solve.
FierFlye
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009 06:54:16 AM »

i'd stick with greys, blues, brown, and lime green or yellow!  most of your furniture is brown, and i like brown with blues, and the lime green or yellow would make it look fresh.  i think you should paint the walls either a crisp white, or a subdued grey color.  i don't think the color of the walls goes well with the carpet.  i usually just look at my art, then choose colors to go with my art.  i have a lot of b/w photos, then my paintings have a lot of browns, orange, yellow, red and blue.  so i like using red and orange.

I never thought of lime green or yellow.  I'll have to look into those.  I found a model room in a Crate & Barrel catalog that was dark brown, cream, and similar color blue and it looked nice, but kind of boring.  A craft room needs to be a little more inspiring! 

You are right, the walls really don't match the carpet.  It seems like a neutral enough wall-color, but it's just not really working is it?  I wonder if I can do gray or if that would be too dark.

Thanks for the wall art inspiration!  I do have one poster in that room that kind of matches: http://www.fulcrumgallery.com/Andaman-Sea_51299.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FierFlye
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009 06:58:59 AM »

The first thing that I thought of was a deeeeep, dark purple! Seems like it would complement the color without *matching* it, since the carpet is not exactly the most beautiful color ever, is it? Shocked)

Or maybe, a chocolate brown?
Or possibly a superdeep teal or french blue?

I think you want something that's a more saturated color than the carpet, so that the carpet acts like an accent color to your more dominant color -- especially if the colors aren't near each other on the color wheel because finding a match to the carpet seems tricky.

Does that make sense? I hope so.
Good luck! Shocked)

It's not the prettiest, and it's stained in some places.   Angry  I'm thinking of possibly getting an area rug in brown or cream to put in the middle of the room.  The bluish color will still be visible around the edges but it would be less dominate, more accent. 

I'm definitely liking the chocolate brown color.  Maybe i could find some more art that has the teal in it.  Then I could bring the carpet color up around the room without it being too overpowering.

Thanks for your suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookworm2butterfly
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009 07:18:36 PM »

this is kind of an interesting site:
http://www.swatchbox.com/paint-interior.asp

it links you to tools to test colors together.  so you can see how certain colors work together.  i think the benjamin moore color viewer is pretty easy to use, and has so many colors to pick from!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
The1uluv2h8
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009 08:22:54 PM »

We're in the process of doing this with a bedroom that has RED carpet! I think your color is a little bit easier to work with though.

Here's my two cents: I would paint the walls a light shade of gray, since the carpet is dark. You can always paint or stain furniture to all be the same color if you have no attachment to it, and it's AMAZING to see the new look you give it! We're currently in the process of staining an ivory/white bedroom suit into ebony, aka black! Now, I know you said it's your craft room, so why not get crafty on the walls??

Then again, maybe that's too plain for you?? Look at a color wheel and choose a complimentary color. A nice, soft sorbet color might be just enough color for you without being drastic, or you could go with a dramatic burnt orange, and keep your furniture simple. Use lime green and aqua/teal accents throughout to pull that bit of creativity.

If you wanted to get REALLY creative, add a chair rail all the way around the room about 32" from the floor. Then above the molding, you could do vertical stripes in soft grays, blues, or a contrast color that you like, so that it draws your eyes up. Here's are a couple examples:

^^They made up they're own "separation."

Keep the bottom basic with maybe a color that's closer to the carpet color, so that your stripes are the focal point. THEN, not only will your eye be drawn away from the carpet, but the vertical stripes will actually make the room look larger. I would recommend that if you went with this idea, make the stripes big so that you don't get the "circus tent" feeling.

OR, if you're a little hesitant about going with a bold color on ALL the walls, pick ONE wall and do that bold color, and keep all the rest simple. Then your eye is drawn to this one wall, and you can go crazy with it!

I'm sure with everyone's input you're overwhelmed with ideas! Wink Good luck, I hope it turns out to be inspiring!! Make sure to post pictures of the finished product too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FierFlye
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009 08:43:41 AM »

If you wanted to get REALLY creative, add a chair rail all the way around the room about 32" from the floor. Then above the molding, you could do vertical stripes in soft grays, blues, or a contrast color that you like, so that it draws your eyes up.

Thanks for your reply!  I had thought of the stripes idea, but I'm afraid it will draw attention to how un-square the room is.  The house is over 100 years and the ceilings aren't level to the floors.  We call it the 'slanty shanty'. 

I have now painted the walls a soft white.  It complements the carpet much better, and actually makes the carpet look better.  But white is so boring!  I have some ideas for spicing it up a bit; I just haven't decided on one yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
omnipotentpov
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009 03:55:19 PM »

If it were me and in many ways it is me Smiley I have hideous carpet in many of the rooms in our house...I would completely and totally ignore what color the carpet is. Paint and decorate in your dream colors! Who cares if it doesn't match...save up and buy a large area run in a color that does match. Its your room and you should decorate it any way your little heart desires. You know that the carpet is ugly, why draw more attention to it by trying to decorate around it? with other stuff that is also ugly  Huh

There are no rules that say that your ugly carpet has to match your decorating scheme. What happens when you can afford new carpet? you have to redecorate the whole room again?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
mikaela
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009 05:39:17 PM »

White complements any carpet color. If you find white boring, you can decorate your walls to brighten up the room more. Put some painting or pictures on the wall.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How a Foam Roller Can Give You a Facelift in 50 Seconds
Get Taylor Swift’s Bold Red Lip From Her 2012 Glamour Cover
How to Contour for Your Face Shape
Learn the Trick to Get Bright Open Eyes
How to Go Nude (on Your Lips)
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...