A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
875 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bookbinding, Sweater Recycling, Beginning Knitting classes!  (Read 997 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cosymakes
« on: February 21, 2009 12:19:53 PM »

The Pittsburgh Craft Collective is proud to announce the March line-up of classes!

If you're interested in any of the classes, please RSVP pghcraftcollective@gmail.com.

Basic Bookbinding

This class will be an introduction to two basic bookbinding techniques: stab binding and pamphlet stitch. Individuals will be able to make up to 5 different soft-covered books during this class. All materials will be included.

Cost: $25 for members; $30 for non-members
Materials: Included
Time: 6-8
Date: March 9th
Where: Panera Bread
Waterworks
942 Freeport Rd

Bio:
Emily has been surrounded by creativity her entire life. She was turned on to bookmaking in 2006 while fighting boredom at her day job. Emily is a self-taught book artist with a little formal training thrown in. She is also the sole-proprietor of Subu, Inc., an independent business where Emily is able to sell her handbound books, notepads and recycled notebooks.

Beginning Knitting

This class is for those interested in picking up the needles for the first time, or who have some experience but need a little guidance with the basics. We will cover casting stitches on the needles, the knit and purl stitch, and binding off. If you feel you have a general grasp on these techniques we can cover how to read your knitting and methods to fix common mistakes. Materials: a smooth yarn, worsted weight - wool is recommended. Knitting needles in the recommended size for yarn. Feel free to contact me through the PCC email if you have questions about where and which yarn to purchase, as well as needle sizes.

Location: Coffee Tree Roasters, 5544 Walnut Street, Shadyside 412-621-6880
Time: 7 - 9 pm (I will be available for questions for 30 minutes after the class)
Date: Thursday, March 26th.
Cost: $15 for members of the PCC $20 for non-members
 *Class is limited to 6 participants.

Bio: Ana Brito is a self-taught knitter. She initially caught the yarn bug at a young age when her grandmother taught her to crochet. Years later, she was encouraged by a friend to give knitting a try, and was immediately hooked. Ana enjoys teaching new knitters and encouraging them to look beyond the pattern to create their own unique pieces.

Knitting Knite

The PCC is proud to announce our monthly knitting circle class.

This class is set up so that you can bring whatever youre working on and Ill help you learn to fix your mistakes, give you the support you need to progress, and assist you in whatever way I can!  You can also bring a new project to start, or an idea and well try to help make it happen. This is the perfect class for newish knitters because I can shape the class to your needs.

Location: Cosys house in Squirrel Hill.  [address provided after registration]
Time: 7-9 pm
Date: Friday March 20th

The Knitting Circle fee is:
$10 for members of the PCC
$12 for non-members
*Class is limited to 6 people.  Please RSVP with your name and contact information to pghcraftcollective@gmail.com.

Sweater Recycling Workshop

I started recycling sweaters while in graduate school, as a way to get a lot of nice quality wool for cheap.  One thing lead to another, and now Ive an extensive stash of recycled sweater wool that I could not live without.  In this workshop, I will walk you through every step of the sweater recycling process from selecting a good sweater to recycle to un-seaming, from unraveling to washing and getting the wool ready to use.  You will leave this workshop confident in your ability to tackle sweaters on your own, and with a recycled sweater arm rolled into a ball to boot!

Location: Cosys house in Squirrel Hill.  [address provided after registration]
Time: 1-4
Date: Saturday March 28th
Supplies:
It would be great if you could bring a seam ripper or a pair of small scissors.  If you have neither of these, any pair of scissors is better than no scissors.  Also, Im asking everyone to bring a sweater or two for us to discuss.  The more sweaters we have on hand, the more youll understand what makes a good sweater for ripping.  The sweaters that you bring do not necessarily need to be sweaters your plan to rip.  For the workshop, I will be providing the actual sweaters we will be ripping.

Cost:
$20 for members of the PCC
$25 for non-members
*Class is limited to 10 people.  Please RSVP with your name and contact information to pghcraftcollective@gmail.com.

Artists Bio:
Cosette Cornelius-Bates is a full time fiber artist based in Pittsburgh, PA. She spends much of her time designing, knitting, spinning, dyeing, and recycling sweaters. She regularly appears at craft fairs in the Pittsburgh area and surrounding cities, selling her one-of-a-kind handknit hats and handspun yarns. Her patterns have been collected in a book called Knit One, Embellish Too: Hats, Mittens, and Scarves with a Twist.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Allure 2014 Beauty Blogger Awards Finalist Alyssa Wallace
Meet Allure 2014 Beauty Blogger Awards Finalist Miranda Mendoza
Meet Allure 2014 Beauty Blogger Awards Finalist AJ Schulz
Meet Allure 2014 Beauty Blogger Awards Finalist Marianna Hewitt
Meet Allure 2014 Beauty Blogger Awards Finalist Serein Wu
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...