A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,049
Currently Running With Scissors:
428 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: So, I Wanna Make a Princess Dress But.....  (Read 1417 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

iluv2laf573
« on: February 21, 2009 08:24:26 AM »

Alright, for prom this year I decided it would fun if my friends and I dressed up like various Disney Princesses.  My Princess is Belle, and I really want to recreate the dress she wore in the dancing scene with the Beast.  Anyway, I was searching the internet to see if I could find a pattern or tut or something, and I found this  gorgeous dress on Etsy:

Close-up of the skirt:

But unfortunately, it's $500 and I kinda wanted to make it myself.  Anyway, I found a pattern for the top part of the dress (http://www.voguepatterns.com/item/V2717.htm?search=2717&page=1), but I couldn't find anything for the bottom.  If someone could find a pattern with those ruffles, or a tut, or just some advice, that would be great. I kind of understand how they work (ruched), but don't know what to cut out to achieve that length or if it's two skirts or something.

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jannie
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009 10:05:30 AM »

Hello,

I live in the Netherlands and here we have:
http://shop.naaipatronen.nl/
When you search under the categorie historische kostuums ( = the category historical costumes) and subcategorie dames ( = ladies) there are lots of dresses

Groetjes Jannie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christinem
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009 10:07:45 AM »

I don't think I would try to modify the dress that you have linked.  That vogue pattern has a bodice and skirt that are one piece.  In order for you to get the fullness of the Belle type skirt/Etsy dress, you'll need a skirt that is separate from the bodice.  

For the skirt, you'll need to add at least 1/3 to your hip measurement.  For example, if you have 36" hips, then the skirt will need to have at least 48" of fullness at the hips, and widen incrementally.  kwim?  

The length measurement will be kind the same, you'll need to estimate how much fullness you want, then add at least 1/3 to your pattern length.  So if the bodice/skirt seam to floor length without gathers is 32 inches, then you will need at least 43 inches to play with.

You also will need two layers of fabric, one straight and one that holds the gathers, and will need a petticoat underneath.  (Sorry if you knew that already, just trying to give as much information as possible.)  

I used to make wedding dresses, so feel free to leave me a message on my blog if you have questions.   Grin
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009 10:08:47 AM by christinem - Reason: grammar oops » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009 05:38:30 PM »

Wow, I'm sure that skirt takes a lot of fabric. I think it is more than adding 1/3. Probably more like 2 or 3 times. The amount of fabric, the type of fabric, and putting it together is why it costs so much. Satin can be difficult to work with. Basically that dress would take pretty much just as much work as a wedding dress, which is why it costs so much.

M5497 has some gathering detail on the skirt if you wanted to update it a little.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anafelix
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009 03:59:39 PM »

I know you said you wanted to make your prom dress so I don't know if this will be helpful, but I recently went dress shopping and found a couple of dresses that instantly reminded me of Belle. Unfortunately I can't remember the stores, but I'm thinking it might have been Debs and maybe McDaniel's. You could always find a dress in the store and look at the construction of it for ideas and find what you like and don't like about that dress.

Also, I suggest looking in the costume sections of the pattern catalogs, they always have Disney princesses.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009 12:36:52 AM »

Simplicity has a new 1850s pattern out:

http://www.simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=2881

It's suitable as a base, but you'd have to do some radical math to make the skirt ruched. *shudder/hates math*

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mystico_tala
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009 08:41:26 PM »

I think it might be out of print, but Simplicity 5724 would be a great match.  I just recently saw someone who made it into a really authentic looking Belle dress.  If it's out of print you can find it on E-bay for not much.
You could probably add draping and adjust the skirt a bit to make it look even more like the Belle dress.  Good luck!  I've always wanted to make that dress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Blog
michellesangel
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009 02:50:45 AM »

If you look at the plain black skirt in this link
http://community.livejournal.com/egl/9350312.html
you can get a rough idea of how much length you lose when ruching. of course, for a ball gown length it will be required to be soooo much longer than you need your finished product. perhaps there is a child's Belle pattern available that you can look at somewhere (even in the pattern books in a store) and read the directions/fabric measurements etc, again, just for ideas. A pattern of any description so long as it had that kind of detailing would allow you to see the shapes required too.

I like how the bodice you linked was actually just a little capelet! Makes for easier construction and you could make the rest of the top any style/shape you need
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose a Japanese Calligraphy Character
How to Buy the Right Quilting Tools
How to Choose Brushes for Fabric Painting
How to Choose a Cross Stitch Craft Kit
How to Choose Quilt Fabrics
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...