A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,458
Currently Running With Scissors:
776 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Matching Suit and Dress for Prom  (Read 1016 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

imnotasuperhero

you know i'm not a super hero...

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2005 12:26:37 PM »

So I've got this spectacular idea for prom this year.  I'm going to make a suit for Teh Boy and a dress for me that matches. One ickle-bitty problem, I need a good suit pattern(which I will be altering slightly), and to make it more complicated I want something with a naru collar,because they are awesome and totally underused(a naru collar, btw, is one of those collars that kind of sticks up, rather than the usual sort that folds down and is triangular. I'm not sure if that made sense, I wish I had a picture).
If I manage to make it we are going to look superrad. Black suit, blue shirt, black skinny tie on Teh Boy, black princess seam dress with off the shoulder puffy sleeves, corset type lacing(mostly decorative) on the front and subtle ruffles on me. 
I *will* be making the dress regardless, but the suit...
ah well, next weekend Teh Boy and I are going shopping(this I have decided) and hopefully a suit pattern will surface.
Have any of you made a suit before? What pattern did you use? Am I getting in over my head?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd love to do a personal swap for clear safety eyes (15mm or 18mm)
memling
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005 12:57:03 PM »

I love your ideas, and I bet you can make at least the jacket for the boy and the dress for yourself - if  you know what you're doing.

If you can, though, have the boy try on a similar jacket with the tie like the one you're picturing, because I'm having trouble envisioning a nehru jacket with a skinny tie (don't get me wrong, I LOVE skinny ties, but I think they go great with the three button suit look, and nehru jackets with no tie.  But what do I know?!?

Here's a picture I found, to help others (who know more about sewing) in the group to suggest patterns or places to shop for patterns:

http://britnett.net/ozone/listings/85.html

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
imnotasuperhero

you know i'm not a super hero...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005 01:09:04 PM »

If you can, though, have the boy try on a similar jacket with the tie like the one you're picturing, because I'm having trouble envisioning a nehru jacket with a skinny tie

hrm... you may be right...I've been doing some sketches...perhapes I may go with a more conventional suit jacket because I really love the skinny tie, this idea came up in conversation just yesterday so everything is still in a very fluid state.
yay for input from other people!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd love to do a personal swap for clear safety eyes (15mm or 18mm)
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005 06:14:50 PM »

http://www.badfads.com/pages/fashion/nehru.html
Is this what your talking about for the boy?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moefen
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005 07:22:20 PM »

I agree with memling about the tie.  A nehru jacket was never meant to be worn with a tie.  It became popular in the 60s because it was anti-corporate and anti-tie.

If you really love the skinny tie look, try the whole Teddy Boy, 1950s look.  The men's suits had contrasting lapels - often in velvet, and they were cut longer - almost like coats.  Worn with really skinny pants, and crepe soled, pointy-toed brothel creeper shoes.   Acessorize with skinny "bootlace" ties or for the super fashionable, a western style tie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
unlikely_redhead
don't give me anythign sharp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005 08:35:56 PM »

did you want the suit to have that collar, or the shirt? becaus ei know one of the major pattern companies had a pattern for that type of collar on a shirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pessimism: because i'd rather be pleasently surprised than horribly disapointed
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit Spell Bound Scarves
How to Make a Tooth Fairy Pillow
How to Create Laminated Service Lists
How to Make Furry Inch Worms for Kids
How to Make a Baby-Proof Photo Ring
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...