A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 305,021
Currently Running With Scissors:
758 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Another 52 things playing card book (image obese)  (Read 5531 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beccas_song
is the craziest song you've ever heard!

Stew anyone?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: February 20, 2009 03:26:41 PM »

Hi everyone! This is my very first post. I'm excited to share my most recent project and look forward to sharing more of my work- if I can convince myself they're good enough (a problem I have Tongue). This one was so much fun to do, but took more time than I thought it would!

After seeing the playing card books on here, I decided it was the perfect (frugal) gift for my husband for Valentines Day. I'm one of those lucky girls who has a husband who really loves handmade and artistic gifts. His gift to me was an art project too! (Will have to post it soon- it's awesome!)

Thanks to the other posters of books like this! I used a few of your ideas for my pages too. Want to give credit for their inspiration!

As I said, it took me much longer to make this than I thought. First I made a list of things I love about him- then I narrowed it down from almost 150 to 52. Then I googled the phrases and keywords to find just the right images. That took some creative word play to find what I wanted! Generally, I am satisfied with the images. A few pages have our personal photos on them. Every page has a picture of some kind. Some pages have alot more embelishment than others.

Then I went into Publisher and made a box on my screen the scale of a playing card. I sized each picture to fit the box and printed them on photo paper. Alot of cutting later, I had all my images. Some were made into stickers and others put on with photo splits. I don't want them falling off later, and glue tends to do that.

I did all the writing myself, even though I hate my handwriting, because I didn't want to cut all the text out and have the white edges around it for this project. Some of the pages are pretty hard to read though.

Finally, I punched holes (I should have been more careful with where I placed my text- punched right through it on some pages) and tied it together with the front and back covers.

I covered a biscuit tin, used some antique buttons, and put one "bonus" reason- # 53, on the inside of the lid. I just had to get it in there somehow! This tin will probably end up in our family room as a decoration since it matches our colors.

That's about it! My husband really likes it and I think it was well worth the time I spent on it. Hope you've enjoyed seeing it as much as I've enjoyed blabbing about it! I uploaded 18 pics before realizing it was way too many to post. So there are more in my photo gallery if you're interested. Thanks for looking!

I googled each letter and number to find photos of the individual letter. Time consuming, but I love the result. I need to work on eyeing my placement better though- ran out of room on the bottom.

I got the tin from an antique/ junk store. I was originally looking for a box, but this was cheap and a good fit! I love how I decorated it, but think it's a little formal for how eclectic the book turned out to be. Oh well.

The handwriting says, "We're gonna be awesome old people!" I saw these captions on another photo, but it was too grainy and I liked this photo better, so I gave them speech bubbles!

He's my knight in shining armour! He even proposed with the 80's song "Glory of Love" (I am a man who would fight for your honor...) in the background. He's an 80's music freak (the subject of another card!).

My favorite page. "In all this world, you chose me!"

I used to scrapbook and still have all my bits and pieces and paper that I use for other paper projects. I enjoyed rooting through them to find embelishments for this book. I love this photo!

The first time I made him french toast I added too many spices and he hated it, but told me he liked it to spare my feelings. Now when I suspect he's not telling me the truth so he won't hurt me, I ask if it's a french toast answer.

Our two year old was walking around saying "hot tea" for days before Daddy figured out she was saying "hungry!" Go figure!

"You'll buy tampons for me" Yeah, that's a tampon gun. Now he wants one...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well-behaved women rarely make history. -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009 03:41:18 PM »

Precious!!  Very personal, and very nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009 04:03:54 PM »

thats awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dinkime

Do you like my scrapbook monocle?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009 05:21:07 PM »

this is wonderful!!  i like how you made it so personal and added in photos you found & real photos Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vespertank

100,000 sperm and I was the fastest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009 10:44:07 AM »

I absoloutely love this! It's really amazingly great lol. I bet he was the happiest chappy to recieve that Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lalett
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009 11:24:44 AM »

too clever for words. I love playing card crafts atc's especially now I know what my friend was talking about
THIS ROCKS   Logged
omnipotentpov
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009 11:56:51 AM »

Gosh what a super fab job you did with this...the time and extra steps to make it turned out perfect just make it that much better Smiley You guy is super duper lucky to have a girly girl that loves him so much!! Your book rocks him world I am sure. The pictures you found a super awsome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
sweet_t_sb
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009 03:33:48 PM »

Thank you for sharing this!!  This is very touching and very well done!  the personal photos add a lot to the overall impact, and I love your use of embelishments.  GREAT JOB!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
The_ChiHa
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009 06:53:03 PM »

This is great! I love how much you put into it! I also think the Tampon Shooter is hilarious!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009 08:36:18 AM »

I love seeing everyone's version of these books, especially as I'm in the middle of making one right now!  Cheesy

Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
Flowersbloomforhim
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009 09:08:03 AM »

That is a great idea, I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
myjoyoverflows
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009 12:40:55 PM »

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this!! I'm SOOO stealing this idea!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Wife to Bill~
~Mommy to Madison and Kaitlyn~
~Addicted to creating~
~Always searching for the next thing to learn~
knc2000us

Krissy and Rena before a girl's night.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010 06:45:59 PM »

What a fantastic idea!!!!!! Saving this post.......................  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maybe some women aren't meant to be tamed. Maybe they need to run free until they find someone just as wild to run with them. When's it my turn for a happy ending?
http://krissygetscreative.blogspot.com/
penguinscanfly
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010 11:59:36 AM »

That is a beautiful idea.  Valentine's Day is coming up and my fiance and I just celebrated our six year anniversary together.  Maybe I should do something special like that..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 in 2010: 0/50
beckashell

Television addict.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010 04:09:24 PM »

this looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

moosecafejf

IT'S SO FLUFFY!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010 06:18:05 PM »

this is wonderful.  what a lucky man.  I'm re-inspired to make one of these  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hippieknit
Hippieknit

Release the craft dogs!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010 04:07:31 PM »

Brilliant!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creating stirs my soul!
BoyceMachine
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2010 11:28:38 PM »

This is really nice...it looks so cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life's a garden.  Dig it.

www.wists.com/Boycemachine
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Myths That Are Surprisingly True
Common Moisturizing Mistakes Women Make
Help for Common Beauty Emergencies
Jeremy Scott Fall 2014 New York Fashion Week Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Modamob Staff Picks For Our Favorite Mascara
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...