A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
587 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dads b-day  (Read 655 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dragonflysmile
« on: March 16, 2005 09:17:25 PM »

My Dad's birthday is next weekend and i have no idea what to give him. He's going to be 59 so anything age-related wouldnt be appreciated. he's a newspaper reporter and he plays the electric guitar. he comes off as seriouse but has a sense of humor though more laning towards the dark humor-irony side. i dont know what else. and ideas??? please..... Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lmr624
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005 06:08:05 PM »

Here's my ideas:  tickets to a concert for you both... sheet music from his favorite group for him to use w/his guitar...  a coupon for a trip to a bookstore with you including a free coffee and the book of his choice...  a few pictures of you both through the years put into frames...

What I did recently for my brother (very hard person to shop for)- I looked through all the different magazines at Barnes and Noble or Borders and picked about 5 that I thought he'd enjoy but may not know about.  I boxed these up, and stapled one of the subscription cards from each magazine onto a piece of paper that substituted as a card, along with a check written to him for the most expensive magazine (about $20) asking him to pick whatever magazine he liked the best.

If you're on a budget or if he's the kind of person who really doesn't want anything material, you could write a "top 10 memories with dad" kind of thing and make it look like a little book, with each entry as a chapter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
foxswish
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005 02:14:44 PM »

Make him a little shadow box and have a little electric guitar and what not in it and have a picture of the two of you in the backround.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sayonara
Laurasia
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005 02:21:06 PM »

My dad's birthday is coming up also.  He's one year older than your dad and he used to be a newspaper reporter too (now he's settled down writing PR pieces for a university though).  Anyway, I've been trying to think of stuff to give him/make him this year too.  So far, I'm making him a "60 Years of Dad" mix CD that has music from all periods of his life (1945-present).    I'm picking a few songs per decade and then I'm going to draw and collage a nice cover/case for it with track listings and the year that each song was recorded. 
My mom and I are also chipping in together and sending him skydiving (I went last year and he was jealous),so I'm going to make a card letting him know that we're paying for him to do a skydiving jump with collaged photos of clouds and sky. 
I'm thinking about making him a knitted ipod cozy for his ipod too, but that might be too girlie for him.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meli-melo
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005 09:43:05 AM »

My Dad is impossible to shop for because he can just buy himself whatever he wants. I usually go the sentimental route and make him a nice card, one year for Christmas I mad a calendar for him filled with photos from when we (the kids) were young and he loved that. The other thing my Dad loves are old cars so I am always on the lookout for old car stuff. Usually with Dads they are used to getting the shaft when it comes to gift giving so I think that they appreciate ANYTHING if it is thought out and made with love.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Oil Paint with Hall Groat
How to Oil Paint
Ambient Art - Van Gogh
Ambient Art - Sisley
Ambient Art - Seurat
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...