A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 311,409
Currently Running With Scissors:
558 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dads b-day  (Read 753 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dragonflysmile
« on: March 16, 2005 09:17:25 PM »

My Dad's birthday is next weekend and i have no idea what to give him. He's going to be 59 so anything age-related wouldnt be appreciated. he's a newspaper reporter and he plays the electric guitar. he comes off as seriouse but has a sense of humor though more laning towards the dark humor-irony side. i dont know what else. and ideas??? please..... Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lmr624
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005 06:08:05 PM »

Here's my ideas:  tickets to a concert for you both... sheet music from his favorite group for him to use w/his guitar...  a coupon for a trip to a bookstore with you including a free coffee and the book of his choice...  a few pictures of you both through the years put into frames...

What I did recently for my brother (very hard person to shop for)- I looked through all the different magazines at Barnes and Noble or Borders and picked about 5 that I thought he'd enjoy but may not know about.  I boxed these up, and stapled one of the subscription cards from each magazine onto a piece of paper that substituted as a card, along with a check written to him for the most expensive magazine (about $20) asking him to pick whatever magazine he liked the best.

If you're on a budget or if he's the kind of person who really doesn't want anything material, you could write a "top 10 memories with dad" kind of thing and make it look like a little book, with each entry as a chapter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
foxswish
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005 02:14:44 PM »

Make him a little shadow box and have a little electric guitar and what not in it and have a picture of the two of you in the backround.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sayonara
Laurasia
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005 02:21:06 PM »

My dad's birthday is coming up also.  He's one year older than your dad and he used to be a newspaper reporter too (now he's settled down writing PR pieces for a university though).  Anyway, I've been trying to think of stuff to give him/make him this year too.  So far, I'm making him a "60 Years of Dad" mix CD that has music from all periods of his life (1945-present).    I'm picking a few songs per decade and then I'm going to draw and collage a nice cover/case for it with track listings and the year that each song was recorded. 
My mom and I are also chipping in together and sending him skydiving (I went last year and he was jealous),so I'm going to make a card letting him know that we're paying for him to do a skydiving jump with collaged photos of clouds and sky. 
I'm thinking about making him a knitted ipod cozy for his ipod too, but that might be too girlie for him.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meli-melo
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005 09:43:05 AM »

My Dad is impossible to shop for because he can just buy himself whatever he wants. I usually go the sentimental route and make him a nice card, one year for Christmas I mad a calendar for him filled with photos from when we (the kids) were young and he loved that. The other thing my Dad loves are old cars so I am always on the lookout for old car stuff. Usually with Dads they are used to getting the shaft when it comes to gift giving so I think that they appreciate ANYTHING if it is thought out and made with love.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Gift In Failure
Author Sarah Lewis LIVE
Tapping Into the Creative Culture of East LA
Setting Los Angeles in a California Literary Context
The Many Languages of California
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...