A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 304,753
Currently Running With Scissors:
800 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ugly Kitchen Table - be gone! (Image heavy, blargh)  (Read 15372 times)
Tags for this thread: martha_stewart  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fnur
« on: February 20, 2009 10:03:42 AM »

After:

Before:

How it was done (more or less - Iím going to leave out the parts where I realized I was doing it wrong, had to sand it off, had to sand it off some more, painted it, repainted it, repainted it, so on and so forth. However, I will add in my DUMBASS TIPS so you donít make the same mistakes I did.)

1. Remove chair pads from chairs and remove the existing fabric. If they are stapled on with heavy duty staples like mine were, I suggest using a flat-tip screw driver and a pair of needle-nose pliers.

2. The table and chairs had a glossy finish before, so it needed to be sanded to allow the primer and paint to adhere to it. You donít need to sand off the existing paint, just scruff it up.  DUMBASS TIP: make sure you sand as evenly as possible so there are not spots where the wood/particle board are bare and others that still have some paint. This will make a difference in the finish when you put the new paint on top of it.

2. Wash the chairs and table to remove all dust and flotsam from the sanding. Let dry completely before moving on to the next step.

3. You can use paint from a can, or you can use spray paint. I used spray paint (eventually) because I needed a really smooth finish for the table top - no brushstrokes, please - and to make it easier to cover the bars in the chair backs. First, use a tinted primer thatís close to the color of the paint youíll be using. DUMBASS TIP: I didnít use primer on the chairs, and ended up needing 3 more coats of paint on them than the table. Save yourself the grief and use primer.

4. Once the primer is dry, use the spray paint. Youíll need anywhere from 2 - 6 coats, depending on if you used primer, if it is windy outside when youíre spraying, how evenly you spray, etc. DUMBASS TIP: Take the time and do it right with the spray paint - rushing through and doing a sloppy job WILL show. This means even strokes with the can, holding it a proper distance from the work, and doing even coverage. Let dry for at least 2 hours between coats.

5. Time for the design. For mine, I traced a flower from the fabric I was using for the chairs and transferred the tracing to leftover craft paper I had (this is Martha Stewartís crosshatch paper). Once transferred, cut out the design carefully with an X-acto knife. I made the dots with just a hole punch. DUMBASS TIP: Transfer the drawing on to the back of the paper, and cut out there, so itís nice and clean on the front where the design is.

6. Once you determine where you want the cut-out to be on the table, brush a layer of Mod Podge Hard Coat (for furniture) on to the area. Carefully put the cut-out on the glue, and smooth out to ensure that there are NO bubbles or ripples. Line the hole punched dots in a row to mimic the design. DUMBASS TIP: Try this with a couple of lights from different angles. It will make it easier to find bubbles/ripples.

7. Once placed, brush a thin, even layer of Mod Podge Hard Coat over the design, being careful not to disturb the paper or move it at all.

8. Once that dries COMPLETELY, spray table and chairs with 2 coats of clear finish spray paint, to protect it.

9. Chair pads - Lay each pad face down on your fabric. Cut around it with an allowance of about 2 inches from the edge. Fold the fabric over slightly, pull to the back and staple it to the back of the chair pad. Continue all around, making sure the fabric is taut against the chair pad. DUMBASS TIP: make sure the fabric is not too bulky, or it wonít fit properly when you reattach the chair pad.

10. Once the chairs are dry, reattach the chair pads.

11. Make sure the dog likes it.

Success!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a website where my friends and I post craft stuff. Please visit! http://theneatery.wordpress.com
Melazdee
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009 10:17:49 AM »

WOW !
what a transformation! when i saw the first picture in the thumbnail, I thought, why would she recon that table?? its gorgeous! haha then come to find out that was your finished product  Roll Eyes sometimes I'm a smart kid haha

that sounds like sooo much work but it was definitely worth it! A beautiful coordinating set like that would cost tons in a furniture store

GREAT job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you love it, its perfect"

http://www.etsy.com/shop/melazdee
kfish148
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009 10:20:38 AM »

whoa! that is beautiful! great job.

also, cute dog ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missgabbielynn

Dance like no one is watching!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009 10:27:01 AM »

What a makeover!!!!!!  I love the fabric, and love the table too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

missgabbielynn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009 10:39:53 AM »

This is absolutely stunning.  I would never have believed that it was the same kitchen table and chairs, if I hadn't seen the steps between.

Beautiful work!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009 10:46:36 AM »

VERY nice.  I love the flower pattern on the table, in the first picture, it looks like an actual inlay so nicely done.  I like the darker stain too.  Very glad the dog gave his approval for a job well done.  What you have done if he decided it was not worthy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Lizzle
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009 11:02:07 AM »

Wow, this is really beautiful!  Did you use some sort of spray varnish, or was it actually spray-paint?  From the pictures, it looks like plain wood, not like you painted it, so whatever you did, it looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fnur
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009 11:12:58 AM »

Did you use some sort of spray varnish, or was it actually spray-paint?

Spray paint - Valspar spray paint in Java Brown. Since the chairs were made of both plywood and MDF, I know that I couldn't strip it and get a woodgrain finish that was consistent all over. So I just went with MANY coats of a dark brown.

Very glad the dog gave his approval for a job well done.  What you have done if he decided it was not worthy

Been even MORE mad when he peed on the floor five minutes after taking that picture. Damn dog.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone! All of this work is a surprise for my husband, btw - he comes home from a business trip tonight and has not seen the table. He's only heard me bitch and moan about it. So hopefully, he'll like it! I don't think I'm spoiling it by posting here - he just knows Craftster as "that site where Karen posted about the desk I made and people liked it".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a website where my friends and I post craft stuff. Please visit! http://theneatery.wordpress.com
MommyMac
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009 11:27:04 AM »

OH MY that is GORGEOUS!! I love it! Great work!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'd rather live like there is a God to die and find out there isn't, than live like there isn't a God to die and find out there is."

"Cleaning with children is like stapling Jell-o to the wall"
muffinpants
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009 02:01:25 PM »

That is beautiful! Thanks for all the tips (especially the dumbass ones!). My fiance and I are just about to move, and our budget means we will be buying 2nd hand furniture, so this gives me lots of great ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindsycarranza

ďBe yourself, everyone else is already taken.Ē

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009 04:28:53 PM »

Wow that is one amazing transformation! Like day and night! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009 04:39:12 PM »

GORGEOUS!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
LSTinVA
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009 04:36:40 AM »

Wow -- truly a beautiful job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dellastella

the crafter formerly known as avsceriline

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009 06:40:40 AM »

Absolutely amazing! I love the coordination between the fabric and design on the table. The fabric is to die for -- mind sharing where it's from? Great, great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog  |  flickr  |  wists  |  pinterest
lynnie71
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009 07:51:40 AM »

I just LOVE IT!!!!!  What a  great job...I am currently on the hunt for a new dining room table and this gives me so many ideas, and the tips are very helpful...THANKS...I would also love to know the name of the fabric you chose...it is super cute.  Let us know what your husband thinks of it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009 08:41:22 AM »

WOW!! It looks great!  You did a great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artsy_fartsy
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009 09:27:28 AM »

This is so beautiful! Shocked

I am SOOO going to have to keep this in mind when me and my fiance finally get our own place. We are both poor college students. Cheesy

Where did you find that beautiful fabric? its amazing!

ps, i thought all of your tips were super helpful. I wouldn't have thought about not sanding too much! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ConfusableBlonde
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009 09:31:14 AM »

fantastic! can't wait to try something like this when we finally get our house!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katherine83
Crafter-ific!!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009 10:02:02 AM »

Great job... I'll all inspired now! I was just gonna buy and Ikea table and chairs, but this looks like more fun.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I ain't here to break it...
just see how far it will bend.
fnur
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009 10:15:54 AM »

The fabric is to die for -- mind sharing where it's from?

I picked it up almost a year ago at Hancock Fabrics, in their home decor fabrics department. It's a pretty thick weave, and it's called "Harmony" by DIVERSITEX Kingway. I think it was like $15 - 20 per yard, and it took just less than a yard to recover the chairs. Funny story: Last year, I picked up enough to recover these chairs and our bench in the hallway. But after I recovered the bench, my husband moaned and groaned about how it was GIRLY and had FLOWERS and he wanted his house to look MANLY. Fast forward to almost a year later, and he asks "What fabric are you going to use to recover the chairs? It should be the same fabric that you used on the bench. I like that fabric."

Lesson: No matter what I do to decorate the house, he's going to protest but eventually like it. So he needs to just agree with me in the first place AMIRIGHT?

Anyway, I still see the fabric at Hancock every once in a while. The best part about the fabric is it's pretty easy to get pet hair off of. The chairs were previously covered in canvas and hair stuck to that like glue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whiteiris717
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009 12:28:45 PM »

I am amazed...wow. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamaluvspirates
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009 12:44:57 PM »

OK, I have been a lurker *forever*...but I had to register just so I could post my admiration.  I love this table!!!  Great job!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ammasmama

LuCkY Me, LuCkY MuD

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009 06:07:00 PM »

It looks beautiful, I have one chair done from a table I quit working on because it's so much work, but this makes me want to get back to it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunsenhoneydew13
copacetic

superherogirl.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009 07:13:26 PM »

That is too cool.  I have a hard time finding the Mod Podge hard coat...great job on your reupholstering/repainting project! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Typicu
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009 07:34:34 PM »

So pretty! I love that you managed to get such an accurate cut out of a scaled up version of the flowers on the fabric. It definitely looks like something that you would be paying out of your eyeballs for in a upscale store!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RyverChyld
♥Live ♥ Laugh ♥ Love♥

I Believe in Fairies!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2009 02:50:04 AM »

Wow what an amazing home make over!  The different is incredible!  Great Job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

donniesgirl
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009 06:15:27 AM »

You did a great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TwilightFirefly
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009 07:32:50 AM »

I know I'm just repeating what everyone else has said at this point, but I have to say it: VERY impressive!!! My table and chairs are very similar in shape to yours, so I'll have to keep this in mind for inspiration when my table eventually needs a face-lift. Thanks for sharing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poe poe
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2009 09:22:10 AM »

Wow you did a great job. I Love it. What did your Husband say when he saw it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.
-Aldo Leoplod-
niqueseveryday
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009 07:30:44 AM »

This is gorgeous! Way to go
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancindharma
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2009 10:14:13 AM »

We have an ugly kitchen table with terrible chairs...we don't ever use it since we don't like it!  I was thinking about getting another one but now I'd rather jazz it up like you did!  I can't believe that is the same table and chairs...looks fantastic!  Thanks for the inspiration!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenn Smiley

My friend, Emily, is giving away free lesson on how to make a boutique girls hair bow.  Get your free hairbow lesson at http://www.LearnHowToMakeBows.com

Submit Your Craft Video and Win $300.00
http://www.CraftsContest.weebly.com
sleahy
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2009 05:36:48 PM »

I love this, its such an improvement.  I am so jealous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bleudazi
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2009 08:08:57 PM »

Looks great!   Grin I really like it!  You definitely added a unique part to it by adding the flower!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meekssandygirl
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2009 01:04:05 PM »

Great job on the table and oh WOW that is the same fabric I ordered last year and made new living room curtains! I ended up painting the walls the same color as the darker dots in the design! Anyways, great choice of fabric! (My mom actually made the curtains, I just designed them!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tootsweet

Elisa - High-Maintenance Hippie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2009 10:13:23 AM »

gorgeous! so classy yet with some interest (ie. not boring!)

♥Elisa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

debls
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2009 05:33:37 PM »

Stunning!  You have a great eye for what is possible!  Love the flower detail on the table.  This idea could be used for so many things.  The wheels are turning in my mind...scary thought!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veela
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2009 09:06:03 PM »

That is so supremely beautiful. Very elegant. I love your tips too! LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poppymonkey
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2009 11:42:07 AM »

Wow! This is sooo beautiful! I can't wait to get my old table outta storage and try the same thing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ShammyCrafty

www.etsy.com/shop/explodingnoise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2010 09:51:58 PM »

Your work is wonderful! Thank you for the tutorial. Especially the dumbass tips. I plan to attempt this this coming weekend, and hopefully can learn from your mistakes!! Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StephR
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2010 09:06:52 AM »

I'm so glad I found this.  I actually went yesterday and picked out a table and chairs from the thrift shop and had plans to redo it.  Yours is beautiful....great motivation!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dawn0684

You know what? It doesn't matter.

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2010 08:50:46 PM »

That looks awesome. I love the fabric pattern on the seats too. Your dog looks very pleased with the finished product. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 personal swaps
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2010 10:09:27 AM »

I never would have seen that in the first table! You did a fantastic job, and it looks like wood!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Holliehood
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2010 01:04:02 AM »

That is gorgeoussss.
I would never look twice at the before table but I wouldn't dare pass up the after!
Great job Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
May 31st: Rod Save The Queen
Answering Your Greatest Dinosaur Questions -- At The Natural History Museum
Sweetness and Art: Short Film
May 7th: Sympathy For Xenu
May 4th: Kiss & Sell
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...