A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 301,532
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ugly Kitchen Table - be gone! (Image heavy, blargh)  (Read 15980 times)
Tags for this thread: martha_stewart  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fnur
« on: February 20, 2009 10:03:42 AM »

After:

Before:

How it was done (more or less - Iím going to leave out the parts where I realized I was doing it wrong, had to sand it off, had to sand it off some more, painted it, repainted it, repainted it, so on and so forth. However, I will add in my DUMBASS TIPS so you donít make the same mistakes I did.)

1. Remove chair pads from chairs and remove the existing fabric. If they are stapled on with heavy duty staples like mine were, I suggest using a flat-tip screw driver and a pair of needle-nose pliers.

2. The table and chairs had a glossy finish before, so it needed to be sanded to allow the primer and paint to adhere to it. You donít need to sand off the existing paint, just scruff it up.  DUMBASS TIP: make sure you sand as evenly as possible so there are not spots where the wood/particle board are bare and others that still have some paint. This will make a difference in the finish when you put the new paint on top of it.

2. Wash the chairs and table to remove all dust and flotsam from the sanding. Let dry completely before moving on to the next step.

3. You can use paint from a can, or you can use spray paint. I used spray paint (eventually) because I needed a really smooth finish for the table top - no brushstrokes, please - and to make it easier to cover the bars in the chair backs. First, use a tinted primer thatís close to the color of the paint youíll be using. DUMBASS TIP: I didnít use primer on the chairs, and ended up needing 3 more coats of paint on them than the table. Save yourself the grief and use primer.

4. Once the primer is dry, use the spray paint. Youíll need anywhere from 2 - 6 coats, depending on if you used primer, if it is windy outside when youíre spraying, how evenly you spray, etc. DUMBASS TIP: Take the time and do it right with the spray paint - rushing through and doing a sloppy job WILL show. This means even strokes with the can, holding it a proper distance from the work, and doing even coverage. Let dry for at least 2 hours between coats.

5. Time for the design. For mine, I traced a flower from the fabric I was using for the chairs and transferred the tracing to leftover craft paper I had (this is Martha Stewartís crosshatch paper). Once transferred, cut out the design carefully with an X-acto knife. I made the dots with just a hole punch. DUMBASS TIP: Transfer the drawing on to the back of the paper, and cut out there, so itís nice and clean on the front where the design is.

6. Once you determine where you want the cut-out to be on the table, brush a layer of Mod Podge Hard Coat (for furniture) on to the area. Carefully put the cut-out on the glue, and smooth out to ensure that there are NO bubbles or ripples. Line the hole punched dots in a row to mimic the design. DUMBASS TIP: Try this with a couple of lights from different angles. It will make it easier to find bubbles/ripples.

7. Once placed, brush a thin, even layer of Mod Podge Hard Coat over the design, being careful not to disturb the paper or move it at all.

8. Once that dries COMPLETELY, spray table and chairs with 2 coats of clear finish spray paint, to protect it.

9. Chair pads - Lay each pad face down on your fabric. Cut around it with an allowance of about 2 inches from the edge. Fold the fabric over slightly, pull to the back and staple it to the back of the chair pad. Continue all around, making sure the fabric is taut against the chair pad. DUMBASS TIP: make sure the fabric is not too bulky, or it wonít fit properly when you reattach the chair pad.

10. Once the chairs are dry, reattach the chair pads.

11. Make sure the dog likes it.

Success!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a website where my friends and I post craft stuff. Please visit! http://theneatery.wordpress.com
Melazdee
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009 10:17:49 AM »

WOW !
what a transformation! when i saw the first picture in the thumbnail, I thought, why would she recon that table?? its gorgeous! haha then come to find out that was your finished product  Roll Eyes sometimes I'm a smart kid haha

that sounds like sooo much work but it was definitely worth it! A beautiful coordinating set like that would cost tons in a furniture store

GREAT job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you love it, its perfect"

http://www.etsy.com/shop/melazdee
kfish148
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009 10:20:38 AM »

whoa! that is beautiful! great job.

also, cute dog ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missgabbielynn

Dance like no one is watching!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009 10:27:01 AM »

What a makeover!!!!!!  I love the fabric, and love the table too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

missgabbielynn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

Try and try again.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009 10:39:53 AM »

This is absolutely stunning.  I would never have believed that it was the same kitchen table and chairs, if I hadn't seen the steps between.

Beautiful work!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009 10:46:36 AM »

VERY nice.  I love the flower pattern on the table, in the first picture, it looks like an actual inlay so nicely done.  I like the darker stain too.  Very glad the dog gave his approval for a job well done.  What you have done if he decided it was not worthy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Lizzle
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009 11:02:07 AM »

Wow, this is really beautiful!  Did you use some sort of spray varnish, or was it actually spray-paint?  From the pictures, it looks like plain wood, not like you painted it, so whatever you did, it looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fnur
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009 11:12:58 AM »

Did you use some sort of spray varnish, or was it actually spray-paint?

Spray paint - Valspar spray paint in Java Brown. Since the chairs were made of both plywood and MDF, I know that I couldn't strip it and get a woodgrain finish that was consistent all over. So I just went with MANY coats of a dark brown.

Very glad the dog gave his approval for a job well done.  What you have done if he decided it was not worthy

Been even MORE mad when he peed on the floor five minutes after taking that picture. Damn dog.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone! All of this work is a surprise for my husband, btw - he comes home from a business trip tonight and has not seen the table. He's only heard me bitch and moan about it. So hopefully, he'll like it! I don't think I'm spoiling it by posting here - he just knows Craftster as "that site where Karen posted about the desk I made and people liked it".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a website where my friends and I post craft stuff. Please visit! http://theneatery.wordpress.com
MommyMac
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009 11:27:04 AM »

OH MY that is GORGEOUS!! I love it! Great work!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'd rather live like there is a God to die and find out there isn't, than live like there isn't a God to die and find out there is."

"Cleaning with children is like stapling Jell-o to the wall"
muffinpants
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009 02:01:25 PM »

That is beautiful! Thanks for all the tips (especially the dumbass ones!). My fiance and I are just about to move, and our budget means we will be buying 2nd hand furniture, so this gives me lots of great ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Grilled Redfish Recipe
How to Make a La Strip Steak
How to Make Gooseberry Jelly
How to Make Mayonnaise - Whip It Up!
How to Make Butter
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...