A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
782 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: power of baking soda  (Read 5857 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AbbiBaker
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2009 07:09:28 PM »

I love that you posted this. I love using home made cleaners! Cheaper, better for you and the environment. It's great!

I have a few other wicked cleaning hints. To clean my tub, I just get it wet, sprinkle around baking soda and scrub. It turns into this mildy abrasive paste that takes the scum right off with a little elbow grease. I mean...you do have to scrub, but it doesn't take that much effort.

Try scrubbing with dryer sheets instead of a sponge, I heard that it is practically effortless (and can't hurt to try?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Persephone Hazard
I'm not going to live my life on one side of an ampersand

That song was about me.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2009 05:04:40 AM »

I'd love a massive box of soda and some cleaning recipe cards! [grin] Our oven hasn't been cleaned in...well, something approaching eleven or twelve years. I want to do it, but haven't worked up the courage - this looks like it would work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When she was good, she was very very good - but when she was bad she was fabulous.
Imsleepy

Zurich, my service dog

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2009 10:06:00 AM »

Yay!  What a great job you did on that oven.  I'm so glad you posted it too!  Look at all the great non-toxic ideas in the thread, plus I'm sure there are dozens of folks who are now inspired to at least give the safer methods a shot.

I haven't used oven cleaner in years because of the fumes and the mess.  Have you ever noticed that it seems to make whatever mess is already there multiply?  ick!  I use baking soda quite a bit, but my all time favorite "super cleaner" is Super Washing Soda.  I put it half a cup or so in every load of laundry, (I also make my own laundry detergent, it's cheaper and works way better) and use half a cup or so in a bucket of water to clean just about every surface imaginable.  The only downfall, if you can call it that, is that you need to rinse it off.  I don't mind one bit, because not only is it safe and green, it works better than any commercial chemical I've ever used.

Here's a pic of the box, you can find it in a grocery store in the laundry aisle.

If you can't find it, you can buy it online too, but it's a lot cheaper at the local store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~If someone offers you a gift, and you decline to accept it, the other person still owns that gift. The same is true of insults and verbal attacks.
~We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart.
~Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.  I'll take cheese over worms!
JenGoPop
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2009 12:01:45 PM »

Thanks for posting this!

I recently bought a house with a self-cleaning oven.  Unfortunately, a couple months later, I found out the timer doesn't work.  And guess what, if the timer doesn't work, neither does the self-cleaning function.  And you're not supposed to use commercial cleansers in it, either!  Angry

Gotta try this out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No more blog + no more facebook = more time for crafting!

I'm also JenGoPop at Ravelry.
Aikibookworm
Dangerously clever and resourceful.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2009 09:07:31 AM »

I bookmarked this thread a few days ago and have sent the link to several people.  I noticed today that this thread is on the homepage as part of the current hot stuff, and I clicked to see how it had taken off.  WOW!  I am learning so much!  I am very grateful for this thread.

My problem with the green cleaning thing is that I have problems with vinegar.  I get a raging, nauseous, take-to-bed-and-throw-up headache from the smell of vinegar.  I once read that if you have bad fall allergies from the decomposing leaves on the ground (my #1 allergy), there is some kind of link between that and an allergy to vinegar.  I can't remember what the compounds involved were. 

Easter egg dying with vinegar, hot water,  and food coloring gives me a migraine.

I enjoy reading and trying green cleaning tips, but the overwhelming majority involve vinegar!  It's not a problem in situations like freshening the washing machine and such, but it's a huge problem for me when it is being used in such a way that I breathe it a lot and get a lot on me.

Any suggestions?

Anyway, I have found the original post and the subsequent responses on this thread to be hugely valuable.  *puts that book about baking soda uses on my interlibrary loan request list*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let's hear it for the hippies and the yippies!"
- John Lennon in the song Give Peace a Chance

my wist:  http://www.wists.com/Aikibookworm
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2009 10:17:36 AM »

You can replace vinegar easily with lemon acid. I use lemon acid to clean the cofffee machine and any other kind of machine because vinegar would harm the gaskets, while lemon acid is not as aggressive, but also effective. Lemon acid doesn't smell at all, you could give it a try. If it doesn't work, well, there are lots of acids in the world. Try them all Smiley I guess lactic acid would be a very mild alternative, I don't know if it has the power to remove limescale, but if you try, please tell us. Hey, I think I should try that: a yoghurt mixed with baking soda.
If you want to power up an acid, add salt.
Btw, lemon acid and baking soda are the main ingredients for bath bombs, I am so eager to try making some since I got the recipe in the COWS swap.
Added: I think the word is citric acid, sorry...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009 12:27:52 PM by Ruby Copperhead » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Christmas Sweater Book Trailer
Meet Dr. Karyl McBride
Dannii Minogue Talks About Her Autobiography
Dan Gutman Talks About the Christmas Genie
Meet Author Mem Fox
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...