A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,731
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Liquifying DIY dry laundry detergent  (Read 486 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JadedMoonlight
« on: February 19, 2009 04:13:17 PM »

So, I recently got really excited about finding out that you can make laundry detergent with CP soap, borax, and washing soda (all things I have extensive amounts of in my house, haha). And I did just that.
I found a recipe calling for 1 cup shredded CP soap, and half a cup of borax and washing soda each, I think. Something similar to that.
However, when I'm utilizing it, I keep getting little shreds of what looks like soap stuck on my laundry - looks almost like snotty bits from a kid rubbing his nose on my blanket, so I'm not exactly thrilled with it. I THINK it's the soap - maybe I didn't grate it fine enough? It's 100% castile... is that too um, oily or something maybe? I figured if I could liquify the powdery mess, it might work a bit better. However, if I dump it all into a pot, add water, and heat it up/melt it down.... would that cause some reaction or anything? Has anyone tried that before?

(I really should just look at what's in everything and solve the chem equations myself. Haha. here I am, procrastinating for studying for my organic chem final... lalala)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009 05:47:04 PM »

You DO typically melt it down. Everyone seems to do this differently, so I'll give you my take on it:

Materials needed:
* 1 bar CP soap
* 1c. washing soda
* 1c. Borax
* a 5 gallon bucket
* A large stock pot
* cheese grater
* mixing spoon

Grate your soap with the cheese grater and set aside. In the large stock pot, over medium heat, bring about 4c. of water to almost boiling. You don't want it to actually boil. Add the soap shreds and stir until dissolved. You'll have a nice, soapy soup at this point. I like to add about a cup of vinegar at this point, but that is totally optional.

In your bucket, pour in about 2-3 gallons of hot water (it's not exact science). Add the soapy water from earlier and stir until well combined. Add your washing soda and Borax, stirring well the entire time. Make sure it is well blended; you don't want any lumps. Let sit overnight (I put mine in my basement or garage). In the morning you'll have laundry gel. Smiley

Again, this is my method (I learned it years ago from someone else), and it seems EVERYONE has their own!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009 08:16:25 PM »

I use the recipe above, it's awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 6/2

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
JadedMoonlight
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009 10:45:53 PM »

Hm, what's the vinegar for, Nymeria? And how much of this do you need per load, roughly?

Thanks for the super quick response - I'm going to try this really soon, hopefully. Haha. Do you think castile soap would work alright in this as well?
I think I'm going to try and salvage my powdery laundry mess. Haha. I noticed that the washing soda and the borax dissolve away with even a little bit of water - it's the soap that's getting left behind, so maybe I'll extract the soda& borax, then follow the recipe with the soap shreds and so on and such. Very cool, thanks for the recipe guys!!

Oh, silly question? Haha. I'm at college right now, and I only have so many pots and pans. Melting soap totally should just make my pot squeaky clean right, not messed up or anything?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nymeria

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009 06:31:06 AM »

Hm, what's the vinegar for, Nymeria? And how much of this do you need per load, roughly?

Vinegar has a LOT of laundry benefits. From making stuff softer to helping boost your whites. It also helps eliminate hard to wash smells like smoke (ever washed a shirt that smelled like "bar" and had your entire load smell like bar??). It's possible that it's an old wives tale, but I've always done it and liked it, lol.

Oh, silly question? Haha. I'm at college right now, and I only have so many pots and pans. Melting soap totally should just make my pot squeaky clean right, not messed up or anything?

Yes, clean pans, not destroyed pans. And it's not a silly question! Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Style Sound Off: The Hottest Red Carpet Looks of the Week
How to Pick the Perfect Skirt For Fall
Dressing for Football Season: How to Take Your Outfit Up a Notch
Ways To Wear Varsity Jackets
Topshop Expands To More Nordstrom Locations
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...