A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,673
Currently Running With Scissors:
759 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Girl in a Hijab Oil Painting  (Read 674 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

averyg

Personal poppet swap? PM me!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 19, 2009 04:00:55 PM »

Last year during my last year at high school I was enrolled in art and for the entire year I boycotted paint... I hated it so much, it would never work for me and well, I gave up on it. In November-ish my parents went to France and they brought me back oil paint, which I had never used before and was superbly intimidated to, but I couldn't not use it, so over the Christmas break I experimented with it, and this is my second favourite piece that I did (the first being my Volturi)... It is an oil painting og a Girl in a Hijab (creative name in the title, I know)...

Anyways, I had a lot of fun painting this and know I am nto so much afraid of oil painting...

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissyMafia
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009 04:51:11 PM »

that is really really pretty!! i hate paint too, but i only ever use acrylics. maybe i should take a chance? haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

octopickle.etsy.com
averyg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009 05:16:31 AM »

I def. recommend oil paints... after the break when I went back to school and had art and we were going acyrlic paints I was horrible because I was so used to oil paints...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teddybearbones

I made you a bag lunch C:

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009 09:48:30 AM »

you can get your acrylics to act more like oil by adding retarding medium to them. I like the way you handled her eyes. For where cloth covers forms (like her nose)think of the form (nose) still being there, but the mask is just covering it. As is her nose stops where the fabric starts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

|art| |etsy| |wists| |blog|
averyg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009 04:07:01 PM »

you can get your acrylics to act more like oil by adding retarding medium to them. I like the way you handled her eyes. For where cloth covers forms (like her nose)think of the form (nose) still being there, but the mask is just covering it. As is her nose stops where the fabric starts.

I tried retarder for my last art project (not this painting)... It really didn't do anything for me, in some instances I actually had more retarder than paint, and nope, no luck whatsoever. It is hard to see in the picture taken, but I did attempt to create the shape of her nose covered by the cloth, but I understand that it is not noticeable. This oil painting is one of my favourites regardless... and I was pretty happy with it, being as it was one of my first in oils.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Ghosts of Luckless Gulch Book Trailer
Brando Skyhorse Talks About The Madonnas of Echo Park
Andrew Clements Talks About Teaching
Barbara Dee Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Jennifer Weiner Talks About Fly Away Home
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...