A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,388
Currently Running With Scissors:
714 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: baby bib from flannel and oddments - in less than 15 minutes  (Read 1445 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

runciblespoon
« on: October 22, 2010 03:50:37 PM »

This is an instant gratification project - I have to share it because I'm so excited at having broken to 15 minute barrier. My first few bibs were marathons of pinning and repinning to keep the layers together for the binding, but not any more. Here's the super-speedy version:

The best thing about making bibs is that they use up a lot of scraps. The binding for this one was an old tie, the inner part was a very old flannel. The outer fabric pieces are only 10 by 14 inches - I used a fat quarter folded in half for this one, and an old shirt for the two below. I went for very busy patterns so the inevitable food stains wouldn't show too much.

This is the stage which will cut down on pinning issues later: before cutting the bib shape, sandwich the flannel between the two pieces of outer fabric (right sides facing out) and sew through all three layers in a criss-cross pattern, up and down and side to side across the whole rectangle. This picture shows how it should look at this stage...

Now cut the bib shape - you could cut around an existing bib, or go for a slightly more generous size - my template was 10 inches across, by 13.5 inches top to bottom.

The criss-cross stitching will hold everything in place, so now all you have to do is bind around the edges with bias tape and add a snap fastening. No pins! All done in a twinkling.

Hope someone finds this useful! More pictures on http://runcibledays.blogspot.com/2010/10/embracing-imperfection.html

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010 03:53:22 PM by runciblespoon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

NavyBlue4Eight

If it wasn't for this anchor...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010 07:24:59 PM »

These are adorable, but the binding alone would take me at least an hour!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

runciblespoon
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010 11:36:58 PM »

NavyBlue - i know just where you're coming from! usually I lose the will to live with bias tape... but here I've cheated shamelessly and used a very wide zig zag stitch to attach it. It's much more forgiving than trying to do it by the book!

Thanks for your kind comment ( and I love 'and then she made me wear it' - so true!).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010 11:39:14 PM by runciblespoon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kellyer21
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010 12:04:43 AM »

Roll Eyes I have the tool for making my own bias tape, but have never used it. Is it difficult? I have no clue how to use it.
The bib method looks great, I'm going to try it tomorrow.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
runciblespoon
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010 12:17:09 PM »

hello Kellyer21 -

must confess, I have the gadget but haven't yet mastered it! For this one, because it doesn't need a huge length of tape, I went for the easy-but-high-maintenance option of pressing my bias strip in half lengthways, then pressing each side in half again lengthways. Tried the bias tool but burned my fingers! Might try again now, though, I'm sure it's meant to be quicker...

Have fun with your bib tomorrow!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010 02:51:00 PM by runciblespoon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Own Hot Sauce
Outside of The Box: Lucky Charm Pancakes
How to Make Brown Sugar Bacon Cookies
How to Make Homemade Butter Biscuits
How to Make Butter Pie Dough
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...