A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 306,060
Currently Running With Scissors:
311 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first projects with my serger...peasant tops for my toddler  (Read 951 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mrsmartin428
« on: February 19, 2009 08:45:59 AM »

I have been wanting a serger for years, and my husband finally broke down and got me one for Valentine's Day (don't laugh too hard, I bought him a welder...ya, we're pretty romantic).

I made each of these tops using fat quarters I bought on sale at Joann's (took 4 fq's for each top), I didn't want to spend a ton of money on fabric since I knew I'd probably screw up my first couple projects.  I made all of these in one afternoon, using a mixture of Vegbee's tute and a Butterick pattern I bought. 

I think they turned out okay for a first try...we're planning on going to the beach on vacation this year and I thought they'd be nice play-wear for her.  They're not quite as wonky as they look in the pictures, I don't have them on the hanger straight and I had to take the pictures at an angle.

Of course, my sewing machine decided to crap-out while I was getting started making similar tops for my older daughter, so now I have to go hunt down my machine oil and spare needles (I really should maintain it a little better).

THIS ROCKS   Logged

C'mon get happy!  :-P
LagamorphLounge
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009 08:55:51 AM »

They're quite cute.  I love the pattern on the first one.  They look really good, and if they are a bit wonky, who cares, your daughter is a toddler and I'm sure she doesn't mind!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
threegirlsandaboy
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009 09:05:33 AM »

Those are adorable!  I LOVE the fabrics!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Estcookie
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009 09:47:41 AM »

Yep, first ones my favourite too.  they're all gorgeous though, I like the kinda vintage look of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrsmartin428
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009 10:22:46 AM »

The top was the last one that I made, I think it shows.   Grin  I wanted to make extra-sure that I didn't mess up with that fabric because it was my favorite.  I purposely picked vintage-y prints because I love the style and thought it fit best with the pattern (flourescents don't really go too well with the peasant-tops, I think).

Thanks for the nice comments, hopefully the more I sew the better I will get at it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

C'mon get happy!  :-P
smrfchic
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009 10:27:24 AM »

They're all really cute... I think the 2nd one could use some elastic on the sleeves though, but maybe it looks differently on?  I need to make some of these myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~ Sadie ~*~
Oh, for corn's sake!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Stenciled Table
Tute Tuesday: Mrs. Weasley Inspired Burrow Afghan
Creative Craft Supplies

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...