A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,190
Currently Running With Scissors:
502 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first projects with my serger...peasant tops for my toddler  (Read 778 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mrsmartin428
« on: February 19, 2009 08:45:59 AM »

I have been wanting a serger for years, and my husband finally broke down and got me one for Valentine's Day (don't laugh too hard, I bought him a welder...ya, we're pretty romantic).

I made each of these tops using fat quarters I bought on sale at Joann's (took 4 fq's for each top), I didn't want to spend a ton of money on fabric since I knew I'd probably screw up my first couple projects.  I made all of these in one afternoon, using a mixture of Vegbee's tute and a Butterick pattern I bought. 

I think they turned out okay for a first try...we're planning on going to the beach on vacation this year and I thought they'd be nice play-wear for her.  They're not quite as wonky as they look in the pictures, I don't have them on the hanger straight and I had to take the pictures at an angle.

Of course, my sewing machine decided to crap-out while I was getting started making similar tops for my older daughter, so now I have to go hunt down my machine oil and spare needles (I really should maintain it a little better).

THIS ROCKS   Logged

C'mon get happy!  :-P
LagamorphLounge
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009 08:55:51 AM »

They're quite cute.  I love the pattern on the first one.  They look really good, and if they are a bit wonky, who cares, your daughter is a toddler and I'm sure she doesn't mind!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
threegirlsandaboy
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009 09:05:33 AM »

Those are adorable!  I LOVE the fabrics!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Estcookie
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009 09:47:41 AM »

Yep, first ones my favourite too.  they're all gorgeous though, I like the kinda vintage look of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrsmartin428
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009 10:22:46 AM »

The top was the last one that I made, I think it shows.   Grin  I wanted to make extra-sure that I didn't mess up with that fabric because it was my favorite.  I purposely picked vintage-y prints because I love the style and thought it fit best with the pattern (flourescents don't really go too well with the peasant-tops, I think).

Thanks for the nice comments, hopefully the more I sew the better I will get at it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

C'mon get happy!  :-P
smrfchic
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009 10:27:24 AM »

They're all really cute... I think the 2nd one could use some elastic on the sleeves though, but maybe it looks differently on?  I need to make some of these myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~ Sadie ~*~
Oh, for corn's sake!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Emily Gould Talks About And the Heart Says Whatever
Living Iambic Pentameter
Sherri Browning Erwin Reveals Her Biggest Pet Peeve
Paul Malmont Talks About Jack London in Paradise
Tony and Angela DiTerlizzi Read from Big Fun!
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...