A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 307,971
Currently Running With Scissors:
253 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wall Collage tribute to Japanese trio Perfume (semi-heavy in pictures)  (Read 1944 times)
Tags for this thread: perfume , wall , collage , crochet , craft_challenge_108_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

emethyst
« on: May 18, 2015 09:40:47 PM »

WALL COLLAGE

FRONT SHOT

While I only went to one live concert, it was my most memorable concert experience yet, since it also coincidentally fell on my birth month. Perfume, a Japanese techno dance pop trio, had just made their US debut in 2014 of November. Since it was their first American tour, everything about it was special and highly anticipated that even fans from all over the globe would flock in LA to see them live.

What I made for this challenge is simply a tribute to Perfume and the global fandom who had made the whole experience worthwhile. This collage sits atop my workstation and spans about 4x5 feet in measurement.

DETAILED SHOT:

Basically, the scrapbook-like collage is an accumulation of the 3-day event for Perfume. Each pic shares a small story about what transpired during those days.

The two-day fan meetups were held prior to the Sunday night concert in LA, and each fan event we attended, we receive a colored wristband for it (Img.2). First day was Japan Day where me and the organizers had a small meet and explored Little Tokyo and getting into the Japanese culture. We took plenty of pictures around the area with the banner, one of which taken near a karaoke corner (center pic and Img.5). I actually made the banner from a lyric flyer that I designed. We also found a couple of LiveNation flyers distributed around the restaurants in Little Tokyo. The next day was Izakaya Night where I met with tons more people, plenty of them international fans across the globe. Izakaya is basically a food and drink night party in Japanese culture. There we poured out beer, chatted and enjoyed watching live performances of the fans. The larger part of my corkboard collection is thanks to the Japanese who got some anniversary postcards from Tokyo Tower Records (see Img.3).  The lyric flyers are by two American graphic designers whom I admire for their work. They are respectively used for Los Angeles (Img.1) and the later New York performace (Img.5). Clipped with the LA lyric flyer are the contact cards from the Japanese people whom I've met during that Saturday night.

PERFUME DOLLS:

To commerate meeting with the international fans that night, I also brought and shared my craft-of-trade with the crowd, a set of crocheted dolls modeled on Perfume with one of their Spice single's costume. It made me a bit glad that they got passed around and received well among the people.

LONG-SHOT OF COLLAGE:

But the best part of it is definitely the concert day, Novemer 9. Fans gathered as early as 3AM to wait near the Palladium (shocking, yes!). The concert was not until 7PM so during that wait, people were distributing tons of Perfume-related goods. Some of them official goods from Japan and most are fan-made to celebrate Perfume's live. In its entirety, everything there was nothing short of awesome. My banner also made a reappearance near the food and drinks booth sponsored by the organizers and donators. All the food and drinks are labeled with the sticker that has a unique QR code linking to the fanpage for the 3-day event organized by a small group of LA fans. Luckily, I still got to keeThe two poster frames and the laser-cut piece were from American fans that I got acquainted with through the online fanpage. It's unbelievable to think that people from different walks of life could gather in one place to enjoy the same taste in music. Because of that, I created a unique set of bookmarks by crafting the codes with the girls' hairstyles as frames. Each scan links respectively to the Perfume LA fanpage, the TicketMaster concert page and Facebook group, all the websites that made this enjoyment possible.

The concert itself was extremely fun and lively, the place packed to a T that we were in all sorts of tired and bliss. It was a completely different world when Perfume performed on-stage and interacted with fans during their MC segments about their stay in Los Angeles. Even OK GO, whom they have collaborate with a few months early, supported the girls in the VIP section. The night couldn't have ended well with a great encore and a greater after-party (although I was too busy enjoying the concert that I absolutely forgot to take pictures.)

POSTER & TICKET:

Like any concert-goer, I kept my ticket with a small poster of the group and I look at it all the time, remembering all the fun times I had with these wonderful people and with Perfume. For now, I have this wall to look up to in hopes of seeing them again here in the US for their future World Tours.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015 08:04:52 AM by meleriffic - Reason: Revealed Images for New Member » THIS ROCKS   Logged
LovelyMiss
Craftalongs Moderator
Home Sweet Home Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015 09:51:29 PM »

What a great display!  I love the little dolls, and the QR codes with their hair styles!  Too cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

photojenn

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015 04:50:33 AM »

Great job
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emethyst
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015 11:40:58 PM »

Than you guys for the comments!

What a great display!  I love the little dolls, and the QR codes with their hair styles!  Too cute!

You noticed the QR hairstyle codes! Thanks! The little dolls are the most fun I had making. It required extreme effort to model them off the girls but I'm happy that they turned how I envisioned them to be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015 09:25:15 PM »

Thanks for entering!! Smiley  It's time to vote!  Feel free to share with family and friends to vote for you, too! Smiley

Voting here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=438797.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do more of what makes you happy.
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Need Pink Floyd stamps for hubby! Will Swap!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015 07:45:39 AM »

It is so fun to see fan love displays!  Yours is very nice for remembering your experience and sharing it with others!

Your dolls are adorable! And what a cool ticket!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Riechan

Flowers in full bloom do not last forever!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015 05:55:36 AM »

yay perfume!!!! Love what you did for their shrine!! Those hairstyle qr codes are genius Cheesy
I'm a huge Arashi fan and was lucky enough to see their show (in the cinema...) in Japan when they were having their concert in hawaii!
(btw, what's funny is that 9 nov is my birthday ^^, same day as the concert Cheesy )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog about crafts and photography
My Facebook and Etsyshop
IG
I really want to start making fairy jars!!!!!
KMOM13
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015 08:10:31 PM »

Nice display and the dolls really make it pop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Etched Glasses
Horror Movie Crafts
August 24, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...