A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,755
Currently Running With Scissors:
705 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Black ConTact paper wardrobe art+more (pic heavy) (EDIT: added how-to pg1)  (Read 4803 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ems2801
« on: February 18, 2009 07:03:36 PM »

Hi!

After seeing this instructable; DIY Vinyl Wall Art  http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Vinyl-Wall-Art/
I was really interested to try it on my plain boring white wardrobe! Wink
I live in New Zealand, and so was surprised when I was able to buy the "vinyl" suggested in the instructable, conTact paper at my local Warehouse for $5 NZD.
Then I pretty much went wild with it, using inspiration from websites such as blik.com... anyway, heres the pictures:

I pretty much just free-handed the branch, each twig is made up of seperate pieces of vinyl, so it was easier to put together. The leaves and flowers I cut out with scissors and then the details with a stanley (exacto) knife. I got the silhouettes of the birds off the net.

Then I decided to make a frame around my whiteboard too! I just used a repeating pattern all the way around.

And, because there are a heap of butterflies in my room, I had to try one out in this stuff. It took a LONG time to cut out!

This stuff as far as I know is used to cover shelving, and its removable after you've stuck it on. I've had no peeling back off the wall so far (after around 2 weeks), even in the heat of summer here! Overall, a cheap and fun way to make changeable decorations. And I still have some of the original roll left...
Any comments/crit would be most welcome. Grin

Thanks for the nice comments everyone!  Grin
Quote from: SkyyAngellink=topic=292952.msg3330073#msg3330073 date=1235015387
Ooh pretty! I too love the whiteboard border!! How did you do the repeating pattern?

I thought I'd do a quick 'paint' diagram to show how I made the whiteboard border. It takes a little planning, and then quite a lot of cutting out Wink but its worth it in the end. I thought it might also be cool to make a little frame on a wall with an actual photo in it too...

Anyway, first I searched google images to find a "baroque" style frame. I found an image I liked (sorry, I can't actually find it anymore!) similar to this one:
http://www.ochigo.co.uk/acatalog/baroq-photo-frame-blk-2.jpg
and copied+pasted into paint where I enlarged a section (half of one side of the frame- as the side is symmetrical) plus a corner (seperately), printed it and then cut them both out. This meant I had a section I could repeat.
Then I measured the sides of my whiteboard, and calculated how many 'repeats' I would need for each side. e.g for the long side I needed 4 and a bit cut outs.
Then I outlined/traced the cutout onto the back of the conTact paper (its like duraseal to cover books with- it has a paper backing you peel off and can draw on). You have to remember that what you trace will come out backwards when you cut it out! And cut them out with scissors. Then using a stanley knife, cut out all the inside parts.
Here is a "rough" outline of my corner and side repeat parts.

Note: if you can its best to draw as many of the outlines together as you can across the width of the paper so you have less visible attachment lines when you stick them up. I attached the corner bits to the vertical side pieces (not to the horizontal ones!).
This shows how I placed the cutouts around the frame:

Remember you have to flip the side piece cutout when drawing next to the 'original' piece as you want the pattern to be symmetrical and repeating.
When you find a gap that is too small for an entire side piece, I just guessed at it, and semi altered the side piece so it looked like they flowed into the next piece.
When you are ready to attach to the wall, just peel off the backing and smooth onto the wall. You can remove if you did it wrong, and replace.
I hope that hekps! If anyone has any questions please ask  Wink
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011 02:39:13 PM by PixieVal » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009 07:11:59 PM »

you went contact paper crazy! (crazy in a good way!)  It all looks great!  detail around the white board is insane! (insane in a good way!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whyme81687
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009 07:21:31 PM »

that looks awesome I dunno if i have the patience to do that
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The thing about glitter is, if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. 'Cause glitter doesn't go away. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies."
spectrumsparksie
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009 07:24:00 PM »

this looks awesome.  I am wanting to try something similar for my daughter's bedroom makeover. 
thanks for the link.!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eye.heart.art

big, fat AND delicious!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009 07:36:37 PM »

I love the frame for the white board!  How long did that take to cut?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Help me get naked in Greece! LunaGrrrl.Etsy.com
acquiescent
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009 07:49:33 PM »

that frame is stunning. brava!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SkyyAngel
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009 07:49:47 PM »

Ooh pretty! I too love the whiteboard border!! How did you do the repeating pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Anna Iv
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009 09:21:43 AM »

The stuff looks wonderful and I'd say professional. I'll definitely try it myself. The pics are BTW also great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ems2801
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009 10:09:44 PM »

Thanks for the nice comments everyone!  Grin
Quote from: SkyyAngellink=topic=292952.msg3330073#msg3330073 date=1235015387

I thought I'd do a quick 'paint' diagram to show how I made the whiteboard border. It takes a little planning, and then quite a lot of cutting out Wink but its worth it in the end. I thought it might also be cool to make a little frame on a wall with an actual photo in it too...

Anyway, first I searched google images to find a "baroque" style frame. I found an image I liked (sorry, I can't actually find it anymore!) similar to this one:
http://www.ochigo.co.uk/acatalog/baroq-photo-frame-blk-2.jpg
and copied+pasted into paint where I enlarged a section (half of one side of the frame- as the side is symmetrical) plus a corner (seperately), printed it and then cut them both out. This meant I had a section I could repeat.
Then I measured the sides of my whiteboard, and calculated how many 'repeats' I would need for each side. e.g for the long side I needed 4 and a bit cut outs.
Then I outlined/traced the cutout onto the back of the conTact paper (its like duraseal to cover books with- it has a paper backing you peel off and can draw on). You have to remember that what you trace will come out backwards when you cut it out! And cut them out with scissors. Then using a stanley knife, cut out all the inside parts.
Here is a "rough" outline of my corner and side repeat parts.

Note: if you can its best to draw as many of the outlines together as you can across the width of the paper so you have less visible attachment lines when you stick them up. I attached the corner bits to the vertical side pieces (not to the horizontal ones!).
This shows how I placed the cutouts around the frame:

Remember you have to flip the side piece cutout when drawing next to the 'original' piece as you want the pattern to be symmetrical and repeating.
When you find a gap that is too small for an entire side piece, I just guessed at it, and semi altered the side piece so it looked like they flowed into the next piece.
When you are ready to attach to the wall, just peel off the backing and smooth onto the wall. You can remove if you did it wrong, and replace.
I hope that hekps! If anyone has any questions please ask  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
galaxe_grl
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009 06:53:59 AM »

I am in awe of your patience!  It looks great. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Film History Biography of Harold Ramis
Film History Biography of Werner Herzog
Film History Biography of Kathryn Bigelow
Film History Biography of Ray Harryhausen
Film History Biography of Ron Mann
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...