A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,740
Currently Running With Scissors:
589 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vala Mal Doran from Stargate SG-1 Cosplay (now with pics!)  (Read 8446 times)
Tags for this thread: stargate  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Redwyn
« on: February 18, 2009 03:15:38 PM »

This is my first post ever! I decided to stop being a lurker, and to actually post some of my crafty crafts.

For SuperCon last year, I made an outfit worn by the character Vala Mal Doran, from the SciFi tv series Stargate SG-1 (one of the most amazing shows EVER, btw). It's all fake leather. I hand made the corset using a pattern, then added eyelets up the back for threading. The neck-piece was done by hand, I didn't have a pattern so I just kindof guessed and fitted it on myself for measurements, and also added the grommets on it. The corset and neck-piece are connected by leather straps that are actually velcroed on underneath, so they can be worn seperately (came in handy when I wanted the corset for a pirate outfit!). The pants I bought at Goodwill, hemmed down the waistline, and took it in on the sides. The boots were bought at Goodwill (an amazing 4 bucks!!). The Jacket is reconstructed from one bought at, guess where, Goodwill! I cut along the front and hemmed along the edges, then added a buckle for the collar, and buckles all down the front. They are all functional (which make it awesome, but pretty much a pain to get on and off). Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of me actually wearing the jacket. The con was in May...in Florida...that plus a leather outfit does not mix! lol.

Oh, and did I mention that I did all the sewing by hand? I didn't have a machine that could handle more than one layer of pleather. So I ended up with a ton of bent needles and some very sore fingers. But that's ok, because I did the majority of the sewing while catching up on all ten seasons of Stargate (I'm a nerd, yesh I know).

The front of the outfit:

The back of the outfit:

The jacket:

« Last Edit: February 23, 2009 08:41:59 AM by Redwyn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lotrbookworm53
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009 07:51:29 PM »

Awesome job! And yeah, pleather can be a pain to work with. Kudos to all the hand-sewing, that's amazing... I do everything by hand as well, but that's only because I don't have a machine and have never learned to use one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Solarwen
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009 04:50:27 AM »

yaey! I love Vala, she's hilarious and your costume looks great! Very recognizable and you did an awesome job on her choker dealy and without a pattern even (:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Redwyn
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009 08:37:18 AM »

Awesome job! And yeah, pleather can be a pain to work with. Kudos to all the hand-sewing, that's amazing... I do everything by hand as well, but that's only because I don't have a machine and have never learned to use one!

thanks! and besides, who needs a machine..hand sewing means it's made with love!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Redwyn
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009 08:38:34 AM »

yaey! I love Vala, she's hilarious and your costume looks great! Very recognizable and you did an awesome job on her choker dealy and without a pattern even (:

thanks, she's my favorite character! (besides daniel jackson ::swoon:Smiley. the choker was the hardest part lol, i had to redo it so many times..but it finally worked! yayy stargate!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RockDragon
Slayer of Dragons with Rocking Crafts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009 01:38:55 PM »

It looks fantastic!  It's so detailed!  And there is nothing wrong with watching the whole series...again...an d again Cheesy  It makes for great crafting focus Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Samantha_McKay
Artist, Siren, Immortal, Goddess, Mother, Wife, Geek, Writer

You and me, time and space. You watch us run!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010 11:39:25 AM »

I am so so so in love with this!!!!!!
Yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Helen Magnus: No killing!
Nikola Tesla: Said the woman with a gun to a vampire.

The Doctor: Shout if you get into trouble
River Song : Don't worry I'm quite the screamer.. now there's a spoiler for you .

http://wists.com/Samantha_McKay
Andromeda007
In between the lines there's a lot of obscurity; I'm not inclined to resign to maturity...

Everything's shiny, Cap'n!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010 11:53:54 PM »

I love SG-1!  I love Vala!  And, more importantly, I LOVE this!  I can't believe you sewed it all by hand - you did a fantastic job.  And, nerdy or not, I own all 10 seasons and watch the series over and over from time to time as well.  There are so many good costumes in the series.  You picked an awesome one to recreate - and it suits you well.  Now, lace up that corset, hijack an al'kesh, and go procure yourself some ill-gotten treasure!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest

Current Swaps:

--------------------------
*PM for personal swaps!*
Shippy
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010 10:17:12 AM »

I love this! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Black Walnut Pumpkin Pie
How to Grill Peaches
How to Make Peach Cobbler
How to Make Bread Pudding
90 Second Chocolate-Dipped Strawberries Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...