A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,658
Currently Running With Scissors:
443 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: exposing the stash  (Read 1570 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 18, 2009 02:34:58 PM »

Hello, my name is mio, and I'm a yarnaholic.

Today is stash sorting day!

That's not all of it.  Unless you're mr.fantastic, in which case, that's totally all of it.  Wink

My friend who ishelping me doing all the work is marveling at how I managed to have bags and bins everywhere that don't have more than one of any kind of yarn in them.  I'm sure it made a lot of sense at the time!  She's about half way through sorting it all and it seems I have quite a bit of Bernat Satin... we can't get the lid on the bin!  Time to buy some more bins!  (I *hate* spending yarn money on yarn storage!)

So, come on... make me feel better, and post pictures of your stash!  Please? *doe eyes*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lady_cyanide
too weird to live, too rare to die.

hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name <3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009 03:11:44 PM »

hello, my name is robin marie, and i too, am a yarnaholic. this is only 2/3 of my stash. there's a closet full of several bags of scraps and novelty yarns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a pile of shit has a thousand eyes.
chevyrell
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009 04:30:48 PM »

i do believe that i am jealous os this Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JLMS
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009 05:06:56 PM »

This looks like a yarn shop. Lucky you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
__themidge
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009 05:12:06 PM »

Shocked Oh man...
I'm so jealous...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009 05:19:29 PM »

Well, she finished sorting:

Of course, once we managed to cram the lids on the six bins, put the cardboard boxes on top, and gathered up the bags of scrap yarn, she came across two balls of Handicrafter cotton and realized that we had missed large deposits of yarn that was hiding in cupboards and closets.

My friend was amazed that we missed some, given that my apartment only has three rooms (bedroom, bathroom, and livingroom/kitchenette).

(we just won't worry about the 4 or 5 boxes of yarn I have stored at my parents' house...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lafemmefatale

Can't be old n wise if you are never young n crazy

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009 05:21:50 PM »

girl you severely need to join the destash-along Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009 05:35:52 PM »

girl you severely need to join the destash-along Smiley

Believe me, I've thought about it!  I've been doing some de-stashing (no, really, I have!)  I'm in the 12" square CAL, and I'm kicking the baby blanket making and hat/scarf set making up a notch...

You know, I'm really well set up for this economic downturn. lol  I think I can do at least half of my Christmas presents this year just from stash yarn.

I just hope that yarn doesn't go on sale again before then... ^_-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lafemmefatale

Can't be old n wise if you are never young n crazy

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009 05:37:41 PM »

lol.  while you are at it teach me how to knit. I'm so hopeless.  But I'm fingerknitting a loop de loop right now so at least I'm doing SOMETHING. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strawberryh

Jesus save me from your followers

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009 05:54:24 PM »

Here is how you justify stashes.
with the price of fuel it is very expensive to heat and cool a house. the more space that is filled in a house is less space that has to be heated and cooled. whats more if you take the time to have these things along walls it also add an insulating property to the walls and a sound shield. So put shelves on every exterior wall and will them with yarn, fabric, books, and all our boxes of craft and art supply. Be green and make your carbon foot print smaller. oh and this is not true of Big TV's because they use electricity, so men can not use the same line on us in return.  Grin
Strawberry

THIS ROCKS   Logged

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009 06:20:39 PM »

I like the way you think! 

Add to all of that the fact that if you buy a lot of yarn when you go shopping then you end up making less trips to the store, thereby using less fuel!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlefawnpug

Formally known as missmoppet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009 05:30:49 AM »

oh!!!  All the lovely bountiful yarn!  I want to toss it in the air and run between the skeins as they fall so delicately to the ground!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-I give up on making TOL pendants.  If anyone would like to have my stone chips, wire and ect.  I would gladly trade it all for some knitting/crochet stuff.

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
McJulie-O
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009 06:55:58 AM »

with the price of fuel it is very expensive to heat and cool a house. the more space that is filled in a house is less space that has to be heated and cooled. whats more if you take the time to have these things along walls it also add an insulating property to the walls and a sound shield. So put shelves on every exterior wall and will them with yarn, fabric, books, and all our boxes of craft and art supply. Be green and make your carbon foot print smaller. oh and this is not true of Big TV's because they use electricity, so men can not use the same line on us in return.  Grin
Strawberry

This is the exact same argument I make , except substituting the word "books" for "yarn".  Roll Eyes I'm working on figuring a way to use old books as a building material next....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cmouse01
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009 11:24:27 AM »

This is the exact same argument I make , except substituting the word "books" for "yarn".  Roll Eyes I'm working on figuring a way to use old books as a building material next....

And what if you have stashes of books AND yarn?  Is that even more energy efficient?!  (DH probably won't think so - he just shakes his head at me).
I've just recently organized my stash.  I'm running out of closets to take over - the office one has shelves and is full of books; and I'm in the process of converting a guest bedroom into a craft room - so the closet space in there is going to have yarn:

This is not everything.  I just found another tote and bought some more yarn this week as well.  My storage solution was to create "crates" out of some boxes we had around the house.  I originally was trying to store in totes in the basement - but having them upstairs and visible is priceless!  I keep re-discovering yarn I'd forgotten about ... oh, yeah, I was going to work on that project NEXT!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Persephone Hazard
I'm not going to live my life on one side of an ampersand

That song was about me.

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009 04:40:33 PM »

I am supremely jealous and want all of your yarn. All of it. From all of you. THE YARN WILL BE MINE.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When she was good, she was very very good - but when she was bad she was fabulous.
snapeswife
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009 08:59:54 PM »

maybe my stash isn't that bad.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

antarcticraft

Head Counselor of Camp Crochet

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009 06:09:18 AM »

My stash is pretty small right now as I just donated a bunch of stuff to friends and Goodwill (mostly acrylic). I've become more of a yarn junky since I started crocheting and now I don't like a lot of the Red Heart/etc. that I started out with.  Cheesy I have a yarn-eating cat, so I have to be careful not to leave my stash out  - it has to go in bins.

You guys need to do a Ripple-along! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for the winner of Crochet Challenge 9, our first Stitch-Off! For this challenge, participants explored Shell Stitch. Vote here!
bluelodge
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009 08:34:26 AM »

Wow!  You guys all have me beat.  I thought I had a lot of yarn. I used to work in the yarn/fabric dept. of a store and had tons. 
Have you looked at the long thread about the star afgan?
I just started the star afgan to use up some of my stash.  it's easy and pretty.  I only have acrylics and want to use them up so I can buy some better wool yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Andrew Clements Talks About Teaching
Barbara Dee Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Jennifer Weiner Talks About Fly Away Home
Play Dead Book Trailer
Jennifer Weiner Talks About Best Friends Forever
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...