A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
610 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: YCMT pattern questions  (Read 3108 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kmkluvs2scrap
« on: February 18, 2009 02:06:03 PM »

I have been to the YCMT website and LOVE their outfits...I had been trying to replicate them with a few other patterns and altering them, but I am wondering if I would be better off just buying the YCMT patterns for the outfits I really love.
So, my question is, having some sewing experience, using mainlyl McCall's and Simplicity patterns (preferring the easy to sew ones), how difficult do you think the YCMT patterns will be for me? How do they work? Do they mail them to you or do you download them, and if you download them, how do you get the pattern pieces?
Sorry about all the questions, just trying to figure out which is going to be the most cost effective for me.
Kristin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThirdMargaret

I'm not happy, I'm cheerful. There's a difference.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009 05:40:18 PM »

I've only ever bought one YCMT pattern( I think they are awfully spendy), so others will be able to help more, but the one I bought was very easy.  In fact I just posted pictures the other day of the one I made!http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=292237.0

Anyway, for that particular pattern they emailed directions (complete with photos in progress) but it wasn't true printable pattern... just measurements  and descriptions of the shape for the pieces based on your measurements.  Like, "measure your child's waist and length to there, add x inches and cut two pieces that are __" X___" for the yoke."

Heh.  Was that clear as mud? Cheesy  I'm sure others will be more help! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmkluvs2scrap
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009 06:04:33 PM »

what about certain pattern pieces that are "shaped" like sleeves or pants? That is where I am concerned. Is it worth the cost? I am not planning to make and sell outfits, just want to make for my daughter and maybe as a gift for her friends...kwim?
Thanks!
Kristin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmkluvs2scrap
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009 06:07:27 PM »

btw, that outfit is adorable! Is that the strip skirt? That is one of the ones I want to make.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kymy
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009 10:56:23 PM »

I have found them to all be pretty simple.  Some aren't explained quite as well, but if you can work with McCalls you should be fine!  Some of the basic skirts are like PP said... just general directions.  They all are downloaded instantly which is SUPER nice & it saves a copy in your 'library' on your account.  They are .pdf files which most computers read & if not the software to read them is free.  Some DO have printable pieces... you print them out on regular paper & tape them together.  Some are a mix of printable pieces & easy to measure pieces that are straight lines that you just get the measurements for.

Pricewise some of them are a bit high, but they most are comparable to other designer/boutique patterns.  Yes you can alter stuff from other patterns, but it can take a lot of trial & error, it is nice to not have to monkey around with all of that!

Some patterns are better values then others.  I LOVE the Strappy Sundress pattern & have gotten a ton of use out of it.  I have also have luck with Raglan (sp?) shirt... I did find it to run a little short, but other wise great!  I have the coffee cozy, peasant tops & spiral skirts.  The only one I found to kinda be a waste was the pettiskirt one... I found 2 other free tutorials with just as much info.

The first time I couldn't believe the splurge I was making, but I decided it was worth it because on MOST of the patterns the sizing & fit is simply so much better.  They also seem to come in a larger chunk of sizes which is nice.

Once you have used some of them it gets easier to figure some of them out with out buying them because its a general style of design & sewing.

Which patterns besides the Stripwork skirt were you looking at?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog!
My Crafty Blog ~ Hundreds of Free Tutorials/Patterns for Babylegs, Crib Sheets & more!
Open for personal swaps!
momma2many
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009 05:58:39 AM »

some of the patterns I have made on my own but Kymy is right it is so easy to just buyt and download.  what I really like is that it does not clutter up my house with patterns and I also like that I can print out the size I need and when she grows i can reprint that size.  I have made a few from there and have several more in the works
THIS ROCKS   Logged

threegirlsandaboy
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009 06:34:31 AM »

I've wondered the same things about these patterns, so thanks for the question and thanks again for the answers, ladies. 
Kmkluvs2scrap, I've seen that stripwork skirt posted a lot these days.  It's adorable!  I think, though, it can be done from a free tutorial I've used before: 
http://grandrevivaldesign.typepad.com/photos/ruffled_skirts_tutorial/skirts4000.html
I think the top layer can be done in strips (just sew together however many strips of whatever size you decide--I'd probably do 3 1/2-4"-- to make the length you need) and then add bias tape to finish the hem.  The bottom layer can be as shown or you can add the ruffle (2-2 1/2X the length of the bottom layer) to make it exactly like the stripwork skirt.  I haven't done this myself, but have it on my "to do" list.  I've looked at the pattern on YCMT, but am too cheap to buy it.  I may wish I had!   Smiley
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009 06:35:56 AM by threegirlsandaboy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
wichitamom

Sewing & Crafts oh my!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009 05:11:25 PM »

It depends on which ones you are looking at, You can almost never go wrong with Carla C Patterns, but I just bought 2 today and I feel like I threw away 20.00!!!! Mostly I buy them because I don't have the patience to figure it out but some of them call for a  basic sleeve or bodice piece, which makes it easy, and some of them come with no patterns at all just instructions on how to cut rectangles! It's really Trial or Error but I would definately ask around before purchasing and see if someone else has bought one ur interested in and can tell u if it was a good one or not, I should wich I had before i bought the 2 I just did!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

devotedabbler
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009 02:15:18 PM »

I sometimes test patterns for YCMT and have bought them too. Some of the patterns at YCMT many sewers could figure out on their own and are similar to tutorials you can find elsewhere. That would be the really simple things like making a tutu or an a-line dress. Some of the patterns are more complicated and without a similar clothing item to base your draft on it would be hard for the beginning sewer to draft on their own.  Add to that the time issue. For some the time it takes to draft is worth more than the $10 price of the pre-made pattern. For the actual YCMT patterns there are a few things that make them different from drafting your own or tutorials:

1) You get multiple sizes for most patterns
2) You get tons of pictures of each step in the process with detailed explanations
3) You know the patterns are tested and work for most people (unlike free tutorials that may or may not be user friendly or have consistent formatting)
4) If you have a problem they do have customer service and can get you in contact with the person who wrote the pattern via e-mail.

I base my decision on if I buy their pattern on a few things:
1) Will I likely make it multiple times in multiple sizes?
2) Is it very similar to other patterns I have (but have never gotten around to making?)
3) Is it a pattern ready to print or based on measurements you do yourself. A few on there are sort of draft your own based on your kids measurements. To me, if I have to do that I would rather just draft the whole thing.
4) Is it a pattern I keep thinking back to when I am deciding what to sew next? When I do this I know it is not  something I will buy that will never get made.
5) Is it the pattern I really like or the fabric in the picture? I fall into this trap sometimes when I fall in love with an outfit, buy the pattern, and realize later the thing I really liked was the fabric in the example and the pattern is nothing special.

As a positive note, ever pattern of theirs I have started I have actually finished and it has turned out well.  I can't say that about things I've drafted or free tutorials I've tried.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009 02:27:30 PM by devotedabbler » THIS ROCKS   Logged

May our efforts reflect our values.
May the variety in life bring us joy.
May we seek to inspire not compete.
May we have happy hearts.
kmkluvs2scrap
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009 12:28:59 PM »

I have been back to this site numerous times...I love the stripwork skirt and dress and the pants with all the ruffles.
How do I know if it is a pattern that has actual pieces I cut out or take measurements from my daughter?
Thanks!
Kristin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Manga Step by Step
How to Do the Graffiti Letter I
How to Do Love Graffiti
How to Draw Chibi Faces
How to Draw Skulls
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...