A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,213
Currently Running With Scissors:
577 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Getting an early start  (Read 481 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

futball15
« on: February 18, 2009 01:56:40 PM »

Okay so i know we just had christmas and it won't be coming around again for another.... 10 months? But I tend to knit slowly and have decided that this year I was going to start now in order to make sure that I got everything done.  The only problem is I have run out of ideas for what to make for my family.  Here's what I have so far:
Mom- socks- the color of the mets
Little Brother- red sox scarf
I was wondering if anyone could help me with ideas and patterns for everyone else in my family.  Here's a list of who I still need to think of and some things that might help in picking a project:
Dad- he's into music & hiking/camping/etc.
other brother- swimming & Hiking/camping/etc.
My grandma- swimming? watching tv. HER GRANDKIDS!!
my other grandma- she's irish?
my grandpa- he's german & he's a chef
my uncle- yankee's fan
my aunt- she likes to be spoiled
my little cousin[girl][10]- likes books
my little cousin[boy]7]- likes yankees and sports
my little cousin[girl][5]- likes dress up- high school musical and other little girly things.
my other aunt- doesn't ask for much, but should be spoiled
my other little cousin[13]- girly girl- just getting finishing jr high
my other little cousin[12]- girly girl
my other little cousin[8]- likes sports and animals
Sorry  Embarrassed :-\I know that this is a lot of people and a lot to think about and ask for, but if anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it. Thanks! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is a track meet not a marathon- get it right the first time.
Being addicted to things is just one of my weaknesses{non drug and alcohol related addictions} so it's not my fault that i'm addicted to knitting.
Riki
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009 05:42:50 PM »

Okay so i know we just had christmas and it won't be coming around again for another.... 10 months? But I tend to knit slowly and have decided that this year I was going to start now in order to make sure that I got everything done.  The only problem is I have run out of ideas for what to make for my family.  Here's what I have so far:
Mom- socks- the color of the mets
Little Brother- red sox scarf
I was wondering if anyone could help me with ideas and patterns for everyone else in my family.  Here's a list of who I still need to think of and some things that might help in picking a project:
Dad- he's into music & hiking/camping/etc. - scarf and hat set to keep him warm while hiking
other brother- swimming & Hiking/camping/etc. Same as dad (only different)
My grandma- swimming? watching tv. HER GRANDKIDS!! - a lap-gan?
my other grandma- she's irish? - a shawl with an Irish pattern?
my grandpa- he's german & he's a chef - felted oven mitts
my uncle- yankee's fan - Scarf or hat in Yankee colors
my aunt- she likes to be spoiled - a pair of felted house slippers
my little cousin[girl][10]- likes books  - A felted book cover
my little cousin[boy]7]- likes yankees and sports - A scarf with sports things like ball, bat
my little cousin[girl][5]- likes dress up- high school musical and other little girly things. Frilly skirt
my other aunt- doesn't ask for much, but should be spoiled - a mohair lacy shawl
my other little cousin[13]- girly girl- just getting finishing jr high - some lacy wristlets or fingerless gloves
my other little cousin[12]- girly girl - more wristlets or fingerless gloves
my other little cousin[8]- likes sports and animals - a knitted animal
Sorry  Embarrassed :-\I know that this is a lot of people and a lot to think about and ask for, but if anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it. Thanks! Smiley

Hope this helps! YOu're wise to get started early! YOu don't say how cold it gets where you are, so I'm assuming some chill anyway!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SassyRedhead
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009 05:51:02 AM »

I agree with Riki. People with affinity for sports teams or their school/college are easy because you have colors you know they will love. Girly girls tend to like pink and purple, and armwarmers/fingerless gloves are really trendy (will still be by Christmas again). I recommend the pattern book "Never knit your man a sweater until youve got the ring" because it has some gorgeous stuff to make for the men in your life (doesnt have to be significant other) so maybe check that out from the library.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Our whole American way of life is a great war of ideas, and librarians are the arms dealers selling weapons to both sides."
James Quinn
futball15
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009 09:01:33 AM »

Thanks a lot they all are great ideas, now i just need to get more yarn!! Not a problem for me though.  And yeah i live in New York, it can get pretty cold.  Also, thanks for the book mention I will definitly look that one up. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Being addicted to things is just one of my weaknesses{non drug and alcohol related addictions} so it's not my fault that i'm addicted to knitting.
susanna mayfair
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009 02:21:34 PM »

I have no advice, I just wanted to bow down to you for being willing to even think about Christmas already. You should definitely have time though starting now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Riki
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009 05:31:39 PM »

I had another idea, for the girly 8-year old, a nice little girly bag - just saw it in my pattern-a-day calendar (February 19-20)/ Very cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009 06:20:01 AM »

For the little cousin who likes HSM--there's a pattern on Elann.com for a felted music note purse.  She doesn't have to know it's really Beethoven!

You also might like one of their wrap patterns for your aunt who deserves to be pampered!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
cathieb
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009 01:36:49 AM »

Just wanted to add to the kudos to you for getting started early.

I need to do this. It would give me such a head start and add to my project a month resolution..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lolablue.squarespace.com/

Obligatory swap details:
Make a Friend round 5:
 package 1: sent!!
 Package 2: pending
 Package 3: pending
futball15
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009 01:05:27 PM »

i'll definilty check out the patterns and thanks for all the help and support.  I would definitly recommend starting early, this way you aren't in as much of a time crunch.Thanks again! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Getting a Straight Horizon in Photoshop
Product Shot Tutorial
Adding a Watermark in Photoshop
Non Destructive Dodging and Burning in Photoshop
How to Create HDR Images in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...