A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cleaning up Crochet-alongs: Thoughts on organization. Feedback wanted!  (Read 4696 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

antarcticraft
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Head Counselor of Camp Crochet

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 18, 2009 06:37:47 AM »

Hello, Crochet-alongers! I was thinking about a way to organize the board, and had some thoughts. I don't think there's enough traffic on the board that we'd need new folders, but how about a keyword system in the titles?

Basically, we'd have one post for each Crochet-along. It might start off with a post titled:

ORGANIZING: Would anyone like to do an animal ami CAL?

And then when enough people have expressed interest, the post changes to:

ACTIVE: Animal Ami CAL

When everyone's finished, the post then changes to:

CLOSED: Animal Ami CAL

This will help keep everything organized, and if at some later date we do need more folders (like the swap threads) we can do that.

Also, I was thinking that the person who started the thread could be responsible (with a little help from me if necessary) for updating the first post with the most accurate, to-date info. They can add their first piece to the post, too, so that each new CAL has a nice thumbnail.

Thoughts? Questions? Suggestions? Thanks!

« Last Edit: February 18, 2009 06:38:47 AM by antarcticraft » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for the winner of Crochet Challenge 9, our first Stitch-Off! For this challenge, participants explored Shell Stitch. Vote here!
playswithneedles

find your balance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009 12:00:49 PM »

Sounds like a great idea to me. Perhaps if we were a bit more organized, there might be a little more activity! And I've noticed that sometimes a thread from long ago may morph into something else and others may not even know that subject exists. And then perhaps starts another thread.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crochet therapy:

50+ washcloths-along -17/50
Very soon I'm going to graduate to shawls and sweaters!
atla

I play with string

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009 06:29:13 PM »

I like the idea, but it seems like a lot of threads never officially close.  People continually work on the project, sometimes making multiples, since there aren't often deadlines.  And sometimes someone will randomly revive an old CAL, which I think is great.  So, right.. I like the idea.. except the part about closing the CAL Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

antarcticraft

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009 05:36:12 AM »

atla - CALs could definitely be reopened, but if one has been dead for a while it might be nice for those looking to join a new one to know which ones to avoid. If someone jumps in and revives it, then it can get changed to "OPEN" again, or maybe even REOPENED or REACTIVE.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for the winner of Crochet Challenge 9, our first Stitch-Off! For this challenge, participants explored Shell Stitch. Vote here!
Boupie

Attack of the HUGE crabs!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009 12:51:26 PM »

I think having them more organized would help and photo thumbnails make it more likely for me to click on it so I am sure it is that way with most people.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIP: Finally organizing my stashes, getting into soft circuits

Angeling the wonderful FoxySam right now but open to private swaps or pen-pals in the future!

11/50 books in 2010

This school year started way too soon for me.

The Sketchbook Project: Science project gone wrong
zatanna
!gnitfarc naicigaM

!ytfarC

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009 08:59:19 AM »

Just saw this thread...

I am also not 100% sold on the 'closed' part, just because it lends an air of 'officialness' to them. I think why some people like CAL are that they are casual/informal. If I saw one that was listed as 'closed' I would feel like I should probably stay out/not revive/think that people are no longer interested. The main thing I worry about having the original poster be 'responsible' for updating the posts, etc, is that it does make it feel more like organizing a swap and feeling responsible for it, rather than it being a casual event. Suggestions for guidelines rock, though. Smiley

Things that I think would be cool....

-A date notation would be awesome. As in the month/year it started..that way people could get a feel for how far along it is, whether it's active, etc. 

-I second the thumbnail thing...it really makes it a ton easier to see what people are proposing.

-I would love to see the threads where it turned from proposed to active have the title changed to reflect that fact rather than just staying as a proposal in title, even though people have been crafting for awhile in it. So instead of 'blah blah along?' it's more like 'Blah blah along (started 2/09)' or something to that effect.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
antarcticraft

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009 02:35:13 PM »

I appreciate the feedback - maybe we could start with a PROPOSED: Blah-along that then graduates to ACTIVE: Blah-along (2/09). As a mod, I can keep an eye on what's going on, too. If things look like they're still muddled, we can think of changing things to INACTIVE or CLOSED or something - I can even make a little post at the top of the CAL section letting people know what the protocol is. The idea with CLOSED (or whatever) was more so people knew which ones were really active so they could join. I may figure out some way of tagging them so that after a few months of inactivity it's obvious that no one is doing anytihng in that CAL.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009 11:06:46 AM »

As one who is still working on the 2007 and 2008 12" Square CAL and slowly pecking away at my 50+ Washcloths, I'd hate to see INACTIVE or CLOSED in the heading. Sounds too permanent.

How about DORMANT, instead? That way, just like a volcano, it could erupt into a flurry of activity at any time! Semantics, I guess, but it sounds a little friendlier to me Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009 10:16:28 AM »

I like the idea of adding "Dormant" to quiet CAL's. 

I think that whatever is decided, there should be a sticky on the CAL board explaining what the labels mean.  That way people will know that just because a thread is "dormant" or "inactive" or whatever we go with, that it doesn't mean they can't jump in and revive it if they want.

I also think that some sort of organizational system is a really good idea. ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

antarcticraft

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009 08:34:37 AM »

Thanks for the feedback, guys! This will probably be my project in the next week or two, so keep your eyes peeled. I'll definitely add a sticky (replacing this one, probably!), and people can definitely leave feedback to it so we can change things around if the system ends up not working.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 3/11
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 2/11
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 4/11
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 6/11
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 11/11
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...