A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,077
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dog Hair Yarn (Image heavy!)  (Read 5372 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2009 , dog  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Persephone Hazard
I'm not going to live my life on one side of an ampersand

That song was about me.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009 03:11:44 PM »

Thank you for the info :-) I think if I ever go for it I'll get someone else to spin up the yarn for me [grin]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When she was good, she was very very good - but when she was bad she was fabulous.
abssinth
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009 05:13:59 PM »

I have two shelties and have toyed with the idea of keeping the hair I brush from them, especially when I blow their coats in the spring.... All that undercoat is so soft and warm!  I've never kept it before; I usually put it in the yard in the spring for the birds.

I'll have to keep some and give it a whirl.  It'll be a good starter project considering I've never spun before!!

BTW - I'm with you, I like the natural color better.  But the blue looks nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009 06:27:33 PM »

First of all, that looks awesome! I always want to do something with the huge amounts of fur I get off my cat.

I really do like the after blue colour (though the natural looks very nice too).

I do wonder about saving the hair I brush off my cats, but I bet it would be hard to spin and though I'd like to learn one day it's a fair way down on the Bumper List Of Crafts Seph Wants To Conquer. Maybe I could send it to someone [grin] How hard is it to spin short fibers?

Well in the... er.. Starving Artist's Guide (I think that's what the book is called), there's a project about making felt with cat fur! I keep meaning to try it. . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Persephone Hazard

That song was about me.

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009 03:48:15 AM »

I just think it would be lovely to have something made out of their fur- especially after they pass, though fingers crossed that's not going to be for a good fifteen years yet (they've only just had their first birthday).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When she was good, she was very very good - but when she was bad she was fabulous.
SassyRedhead
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2009 10:54:23 AM »

I love odd fibers. And no one off the street would be able to tell it wasn't wool anyway...

Is it  strange that I am obsessed with the idea of cutting my hair very very short, then getting someone to spin my hair so I can knit a hat from it? It would just be so AWESOME
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Our whole American way of life is a great war of ideas, and librarians are the arms dealers selling weapons to both sides."
James Quinn
knkurz
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2009 02:50:56 PM »

I love odd fibers. And no one off the street would be able to tell it wasn't wool anyway...

Is it  strange that I am obsessed with the idea of cutting my hair very very short, then getting someone to spin my hair so I can knit a hat from it? It would just be so AWESOME

I've thought about it as well.  Anything that looks spinnable, I consider.  In chemistry a week or two ago we used glass wool to insulate a few things, and I really want to make yarn out of it, despite the fact that it would probably cut me in the process.  It would make a very fire resistant fabric...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

"this kid is driving me craaaazy!"-Robert Munchs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2009 04:14:38 PM »

yes, glass wool... probably pretty pokey.  maybe a tad scratchy(read bleeding) when worn.  At least thats my guess.  you wouldn't need to make it wearable though.  You could make a curtain, or tapestry of some sort?  But if you do try it post a pic.  maybe wear leather gloves while doing it?  to protect your hands?   But I bet it is somewhat doable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OmniSilence
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009 07:25:40 PM »

That looks quite fuzzy indeed! Alright, I guess I'll start trying to save the fur I brush off my cat. He probably won't like it, but I bet it would spin up with no problem. I swear, you look at that cat funny and he just mats up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Persephone Hazard

That song was about me.

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009 11:32:10 PM »

Yeah, I think I'll be saving the fur I brush off my two cats from now on :-) It'll probably take me years to get enough to be spun, but it would be so special to me to have something made of their fur. Even if it's just a knitted square, lol :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WMA
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2009 06:06:47 PM »

Yeah, I think I'll be saving the fur I brush off my two cats from now on :-) It'll probably take me years to get enough to be spun, but it would be so special to me to have something made of their fur. Even if it's just a knitted square, lol :-)

Store it carefully until you're ready to spin it, cat fur felts sooooo easily. But the yarn will be soooo soft and light. It probably won't take as long as you think to have enough to spin a decent sized skein...depending on how thick you spin it. I spun a yard or so from a handful of fur (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=286321.20)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Benefits of Using DNG in Lightroom
Rendering Previews in Lightroom
How to Draw an F22 Combat Aircraft
How to Draw Fanboy from Fanboy and Chum Chum
How to Fit Your Image Size to Your Print Size
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...