A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Post a single crochet swatch?  (Read 840 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Brae_Day
« on: March 20, 2005 08:41:48 PM »

Okay.... Here's the scoop, fellow Craftsters...

I CAN'T CROCHET!!!  I have learned the basics and can whip the hook around pretty quickly, but I don't know if it looks the way it should.  All the tutorials online only show one row and don't show what the finished product should look like, which drives me bonkers.

Can someone please crochet me up a single crochet swatch?  Preferably a bit loose so I can see how the stitches should look.  I think that would help me out right now more than anything.

I wish I knew someone that could crochet, I really need to watch it SLOWLY and be able to ask questions.  The videos online don't help 'cause they're too short.

Okay, I'm rambling.  Anyone who can crochet me up a swatch will... ummm.... be my best friend?   Tongue

Thank you all!!!!!   Grin

edited to add question mark on title line  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheSupy

Can you handle the Supyness?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005 10:10:28 PM »

Interesting, I can crochet pretty well, though the things I crochet are pretty mediocre. But I was wondering, how do you guys hold the yarn you crochet? Because the way I hold the yarn tires my hand really fast! My mom loops the yarn a couple times around her pointer finger and holds her that way, but she being a righty and me a lefty, I just started holding it between my pointer and middle (the yarn between a peace sign) and then holding the crochet with the ring finger and thumb. how do you all hold yours?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005 10:36:40 PM »

I hold mine the same way I knit.  (I knit continental style)  I loop it once around my pinky, under my next two fingers, then bring it behind my index finger and back to the work.  That way, I use my pinky to control the feed but my index finger tells the yarn where to go.  I find it works quite well and is a very relaxed position for my hand.  Wish I could show you a pic.  I think I hold it a strange way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
frogsrock
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005 12:02:19 PM »

http://www.geocities.com/barbie42day/scdiapershirt.html
the stitchs are pretty clear on that
or this might be better
http://www.yarntomato.com/63squares/images/01_sc.jpg

neather of those are mine, i just googled
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Brae_Day
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005 09:39:48 PM »

Okay!!  I think I'm getting the hang of this.  Frogsrock, thanks for the pics.  I'm not a very good Googler.   Undecided

One last question... is there a "wrong side" to crocheting or do both sides look the same?  (because mine don't)  Roll Eyes

Thanks again guys!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brae_Day
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005 09:46:03 PM »

Nope... still not getting it... EGAD!!!! What am I doing wrong???  I'm crocheting up something presentable, but it sure as h-e- double hockey stick doesn't look like what it's supposed to...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005 07:31:44 AM »

Ok, it could be that when you put the hook through the loops from the previous row you aren't going through BOTH loops, but only one.  That'll give you a little ridge.  I'm guessing that would be a pretty easy mistake, and therefore a pretty common one.  I learned to crochet when I was 6, so I don't remember whether I made that mistake my first couple times out or not, but it's pretty likely.

If both sides don't look the same, then my first question is are you turning and crocheting back across the previous row or are you breaking yarn and starting from the same edge again?  The front and back of a sc stitch look differently.  If you crochet back and forth across your work, you'll get something that looks like what frogsrock posted, because you see one row of front-facing stitches and one row of back-facing stitches, and it will look basically the same on both sides.  If, however, you break yarn at the end of each row and start over again at the beginning, crocheting the same direction every row, then on one side of your work you will only see the front of the stitches and on the other only the back, so the two sides will look different.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Brae_Day
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005 06:10:20 PM »

That was it!!!  In the diagrams, it looks like you knit in BETWEEN the braid type thing, not underneath.  If that makes sense to you expert crocheters... 

But now I FINALLY have a croched swatch.  What a grand feeling.  Thanks so much you two, and thank you Lothruin for your patience and for never giving up on me. 

Sheesh, sounds like a Grammy acceptance speech.  Anyway, I really do appreciate it. 

Whew, that took a load off.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kevl
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005 12:14:30 PM »

I hold mine the same way I knit.  (I knit continental style)  I loop it once around my pinky, under my next two fingers, then bring it behind my index finger and back to the work.  That way, I use my pinky to control the feed but my index finger tells the yarn where to go.  I find it works quite well and is a very relaxed position for my hand.  Wish I could show you a pic.  I think I hold it a strange way.

Nah, that's not strange.  I hold the yarn in a similar manner (sometimes I wrap my pinky twice if I wanted more tension).  Then the crocheting is held with my middle finger and thumb.  And I do it all left-handed.

Brae_Day:  Now that you have the single-crochet down, half-double and double-crochet is just as easy.  Remember that it's simply an extra yarn-over or two, depending on the stitch.

bw: the singlecrochet diaper shirt is really cute.  That may be my next project...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
KD101: Slow Cooker White Bean Chicken Chili
How to Make the Perfect Fried Egg in a Cast Iron Skillet
Deion Sanders Makes Chicken and Dumplings
How to Make Forest Floor Roasted Pears with Burrata and Basil
Slow-Cooked Jambalaya Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...