A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
492 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: BFA in Crafts? Best Suited Jobs?  (Read 1005 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cross_my_hooks
With Love, Crochet

Let's make magic!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 17, 2009 12:51:55 PM »

I am a first year art student (though a third year college student..i know, i know..I couldn't decide on a major..I will be inschool for five years...sad huh?) and have decided my concentration to be Crafts.  (Stained glass, fibers, weaving, ceramics, wood, etc) BUT I am having a hard time convincing my parents its a good investment.

I've spent a lot of my life doing what others say will be best carreer wise: I was going to be a math teacher, then I decided to do elementary and middle school teaching, then as I got more introduced into art in college i realized I would love to create!  I went in thinking I should do graphic design even though many told me that crafts may be the best bet as I already crochet and always look for opputunities to combine materials and create more.  So I have decided to do crafts.

I already have an idea of what I could do as a job with a BFA in crafts but I need more solid evidence to appeal to my parents so they will give me the little bit of money that my loans and scholarships don't cover to continue on a path to creation.  I know I could work in some sort of design job weather it be more instalation or decoration, etc.

Do any of you have this sort of degree? or do something to this sort of, i guess, multimedia affect?  I really like the idea that the stores Free People have with their store fronts, decorations and designs.  I would love to go into that sort of unique work.  I pretty much need solid ideas of what type of job my degree would best suit to make a convincing argument. Smiley

I am hoping you get the idea of my delima, rarely can I describe anything correclty. Sad

ps. all this trouble with my parents! my dad studied ceramics in college...how rediculous he is to call me crazy Smiley Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LizzyDeztic
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009 01:40:11 AM »

Well a BFA in Crafts covers many trades, so you could use that as your argument. While you wouldn't be as proficient in wood working as a carpenter or as good with metals as a metal-worker-person, you're education will cover many areas and give you more opportunities later on, I'm sure. A friend of mine went for a BFA in Crafts and is now a glass blower for a neon lighting company and he works in his basement. Another friend works for a great body jewelry company.

A degree in any area of art will give you some kind of competition for jobs later on but I know that it'll definitely be a fulfilling education.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vitaboheme

Future Picasso

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009 08:16:24 PM »

Most of the people that I know with degrees from art college go on to be independent artists- they are glass artists, ceramicists, fibre artists etc and show/sell in galleries, they are jewellers (some design for companies, but others independently), photographers, painters.... they don't really have 'jobs.' Well, they do have jobs, but these are often things that help them pay bills and they create in their own time.

I don't mean to be pessimistic, and I don't mean to sound like it is impossible to find a career so give up- if art school is where your passion is then you should follow that and see where it takes you. But honestly, I think you might have trouble finding some concrete sort of job list that a BFA in crafts could lead to that will also convince your parents- graphic design, sure, but the arts (whether painting or stained glass) are more difficult. You need to be creative in how you apply and market your skills because you don't often see jobs advertized for people that know how to crochet or work with stained glass (which, obviously, is why you have asked, and why your parents are hesitant).

However, that said, I would also like to say that you shouldn't go into crafts just because you already know how to crochet - if you want to try graphic design, try it. That is the purpose of art school- you learn about different things, and you may find that you have a real apptitude for it. This does not mean that you have to leave the other things behind- but the one gives you a marketable job, and the other a different sort of creative outlet that takes you in different directions. I don't think it has to be one or the other. You may also find that you just hate graphic design, and that other things are better suited to your creative outlets. Don't let the people you know discourage you from trying it all if you want- it is your career, your education, your creative juices.

Another option (although I am not sure how much more education it would require) would be teaching art in elementary or middle school. You could apply a broad base of media and teach kids about the importance of their creative side.
Another idea- do a double major in photography and crafts (if they do double majors at your school- not sure how it works everywhere). You can make a career as a wedding and/or baby photographer (huge baby boom going around these days and piles of weddings) and make awesome stained glass or whatever takes you at the same time.

Good luck, and enjoy your classes. It is unfortunate that your dad- a ceramicist- is giving you resistance, but perhaps it comes from a personal experience. Have you asked him to tell you why, when he studied ceramics himself, he is so resistant? You might be able to bring him around by having a real heart to heart (if you haven't already...)

Best of luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls.
-Pablo Picasso
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Buttermilk Waffles
Buttermilk-Cheese Waffle Recipe
How to Make a 10 Layer Monster Burger
Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Mastering the Perfect Omelette
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...