A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,072
Currently Running With Scissors:
695 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: table, lamp and lampshade. *lots of pictures*  (Read 1937 times)
Tags for this thread: lamp  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

arkiwmn
« on: February 17, 2009 09:16:59 AM »

It all started with a lamp I found at a yard sale. I seem to have a small lamp fetish since I loooove lamps that I consider to be unique. So anyway, this lamp sat on a shelf in my craft room for about six months before inspiration hit! My bf had a table that he didn't want anymore, so knowing how I feel about throwing things away, he asked me if I wanted to use if for anything. He was really being sarcastic because he thought I would think it was really ugly. And I did. But that's beside the point!

So, here's what we did with it:

we were just starting on routering (is that a word?) out the middle of the table

that was a whole lot of sanding!!

making sure the stain was the color I wanted

now it's starting to come together with the tiles

I finished putting the table together late at night, thank goodness. Nobody was around to see my happy dance!

I couldn't find a lamp shade that I liked that didn't cost wayy too much moolah, so I found one at big lots that I liked the shape of and covered it with fabric that had roses printed on it. Then I used seed beads to cover the printing and used lace on the edges to cover the cuts I made with the fabric. It was a tedious process, but I'm proud of it.

Here is the little bee that I painted on the tiles. I really like how he turned out. It always amazes me when something I paint turns out somewhat like I had planned. The bee and the rose bud are the only things that didn't get painted over 5 times and re-done until I liked it.

My bf wanted me to put a bee on the lampshade that matched the bee I painted on the tiles. So here it is! He really likes it and even though you can see the glue splotches, they don't show unless you're really looking and when the light is on, you can't see them at all. But of course the camera shows EVERYTHING! and shoves it back in your face. *sigh*

Here it is all together and in place.

I forgot to mention that the glass I used to put on top of the tiles came from a 1954 tv cabinet that we made into a printer cabinet a couple years ago. I'd been saving the glass for something special and it fit into this project perfectly!

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aliped

Only dead fish go with the flow ....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009 09:38:39 AM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked Wow!  This is Absolutely fantastic! Shocked Shocked Shocked

What kind of tool did you use for the "routering" and was it very difficult to get the correct depth?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009 09:42:21 AM by Aliped » THIS ROCKS   Logged
arkiwmn
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009 02:02:11 PM »

Thank you!!  We used just a plain router and it comes with a thingy ? Huh that you set to whatever depth you want it to go which was important since I wanted to inset the tiles and the glass on top of them.
Thanks again for looking!  We're really happy with how this came out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009 05:05:40 PM »

This project was well thought out and very well executed.  Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009 01:49:04 AM »

Fantastic job.  Fantastic thinking!  Fantastic set.  Great transformation.  Very impressed. (and, like, what does "throw it away" mean?  Is that a foreign language or slang for something?  Just kidding,  I have a throw it away problem.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Spiced Butter Cookies Recipe
How to Make Melon, Plum and Nectarine Soup
Make The Perfect Cannolis, Jersey Housewife Style
Homemade Rock Cake Recipe
Sour Cream Apple Pie Crumble Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...