A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,715
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Blue Pink and Purple Cupcakes  (Read 5521 times)
Tags for this thread: vegetarian_holiday_food , craftster_best_of_2009  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jillvedge
« on: February 17, 2009 08:11:31 AM »

I made these beauties the other day with the White Cake recipe from  Vegan Family Cookbook. (It's a great book I recommend it to all my buds.) I added a few drops of blue food coloring to the batter. To get the pink frosting, I used one bag of Tazo's Passion tea (it steeps super bright pink) and poured just enough water to cover the bag. I left the tea bag in for about 5 minutes, took it out and let the tea cool down. After about 20-30 minutes I mixed it in with the frosting. I'm still trying to figure out ways to make the pink more vibrant, without having to by $20 red food coloring made from beets or whatever. The tea did give the frosting sort of a tart flavor, but it was easily ignored!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
lemadrid
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009 08:16:35 AM »

those look yummy!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

veronikavsyou

i like to think i was born in the wrong decade.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009 08:31:25 AM »

those look gorgeous. i'm going to have to try dying my icing with tea next time - what a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

authentic vintage clothing, 40's - 70's.

http://sweettoothvintage.etsy.com
Tinkswings
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009 08:33:20 AM »

Awe these are so cute. i love that you used tea to colour the icing pink

side note... WHAT!!! Pink tea!!! I must get my hands on that.. I am a HUGE tea lover! I am in canada though.. I imagine that kind cant be found here... must search.. it may help pull me out of my 'mood'
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This Tinkerbell girl loves to personal swap!
www.livelovebath.com
daydream_believer
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009 08:57:20 AM »

love these! I never would have thought to use tea to colour it, I bet they tase great that tea is yummy!
would you be able to use something like cranberry juice to colour it? i'm not sure that it would be darker than the tea though.

tinkswings: you can get that tea in canada, the easiest would be to buy it from starbucks (thats what they use to make passion tea lemonade) but you can get it from stores as well, usually organic food stores i just find it takes more hunting that way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jillvedge
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009 09:27:02 AM »

love these! I never would have thought to use tea to colour it, I bet they tase great that tea is yummy!

Most red dyes aren't vegan (they are used with cochineal also known as carmine, crushed up bugs! ew!!), but that doesn't mean I can't have pink cupcakes! Haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkie_poh
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009 09:29:30 AM »

I definitely dig the tea-as-food-dye - sweet idea! I'm quite partial to the Passion tea, so I might actually enjoy the tart flavour Cheesy

side note... WHAT!!! Pink tea!!! I must get my hands on that.. I am a HUGE tea lover! I am in canada though.. I imagine that kind cant be found here... must search.. it may help pull me out of my 'mood'

While you can buy it at Starbucks, it's super expensive there. You can get it for a lot cheaper at Metro or Dominion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MargiePoo
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009 09:30:46 AM »

those are beautiful and are making me soooo hungry!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tinkswings
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009 10:20:37 AM »

tinkswings: you can get that tea in canada, the easiest would be to buy it from starbucks (thats what they use to make passion tea lemonade) but you can get it from stores as well, usually organic food stores i just find it takes more hunting that way.
Thanks after I googled it I realized what the box looks like lol (yeah i am visual a little too much sometimes) and realized i have a tea in that brand in my cupboard!! YAY going to look next time I am out I think I got it at the Superstore actually! I never go to starbucks so I am going to try and avoid that lol.. but thanks its good to know where to go if I get stuck!

While you can buy it at Starbucks, it's super expensive there. You can get it for a lot cheaper at Metro or Dominion.

Great thanks! I will get this tea!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This Tinkerbell girl loves to personal swap!
www.livelovebath.com
kat21
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009 12:18:27 AM »

those are so adorable. i love the idea of using the tea to make the icing coloured. very original!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Time Lapse Chainsaw Dormouse Bench Carving
Hyper-Real Sculptures and More Arts Stories
Toad Sculpture Chainsaw Carving Time Lapse
Student Snaps 19th Century Statue While Snapping a Selfie
Expensive Modern Art Thrown Out By Cleaning Lady, Confused With Trash
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...