A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,125
Currently Running With Scissors:
662 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: opinions and advice wanted on wallets  (Read 796 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

laes43
« on: February 17, 2009 02:27:37 AM »

So, I made myself a wallet a few weeks ago when my store bought one bit the dust.  I was mightly impressed with myself and how it turned out (minus a few mistakes that could have been avoided if i wasn't in such a rush to get it done). Anywhoo, a few people have told me i should try and sell them, so i thought "why not?!"  There is an art/craft consignment shop a few blocks down from where I live and i was thinking of checking it out.  My only concern right now is pricing.  The wallets are pretty cheap to make, probably like 3 bucks tops.  But they do take many hours expecially if i cross stitch on them.  Here's the one i made for myself as an example:
The front

The pocket in the back:

and an "Action Shot"

Basically I want to make them all pretty similiar. There will be variations obviously.  So, I really don't want to underprice myself.  I was in her shop before and there were puzzle piece earrings in there for $20 ... I thought that was a bit much, personally.  And it makes me feel that my original thought of $15 for the wallets doesn't seem like much.  I would appreciate any thoughts on pricing and also, any advice on working with consignment shops. 
Thanks everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always up for Personal Swaps!

http://thirtytwo-flavors.blogspot.com/
Im Sew Silly
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

If you're crafty and ya know it, clap your hands....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009 04:00:44 PM »

that is a super cute wallet! it looks more like crochet than cross stitch in a way. either way, like i said~ SUPER CUTE!

I am running into the same issue. I have some of my items in a consignment shop and i worry with pricing too.
main thing is figure up your cost to make, then figure in your time...try not to short yourself, but yet, not make it too pricey either....i am finding this very hard to do myself!
PArtly I think it also depends upon how the consignment works. like at the shop i am working with , she charges 30% consignment. so i have to take that into consideration as well....

How big would you say the wallet is? how long did it take to make? is it hard to come by your supplies?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Exodus 35:35 (NIV)~ He has filled them with skill to do all kinds of work as engravers, designers, embroiderers in blue, purple, and scarlet yarn and fine linen, and weavers - all of them skilled workers and designers

Current Swaps:
Poppet vs Amigurumi
laes43
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009 02:17:17 PM »

How big would you say the wallet is? how long did it take to make? is it hard to come by your supplies?

it's about the size of a credit card, as that's all that it really holds, i think i have 10 sleeves in that one.  It's the one i carry on a daily basis.  Umm, it probably took me 3-4 hours to crochet, and prob about the same to cross stitch that pattern.  But i don't really cross stitch, so it prob just took me that long because i'm not that familiar with it.. here are a few more i've made in the past, they are on my blog and they are all the same size approx
 http://thirtytwo-flavors.blogspot.com/search/label/Wallets

as for the materials, it's just crochet thread which can be found in about any michaels, joanns/walmart etc... and floss.. so it's pretty standard stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009 08:07:39 AM »

If they take you a long time to make, you have to consider that $20 - or more - will motivate you to keep making them more than $15 would. Or, you have to find a way to make them less expensive time-wise. Like instead of the cross stitch, maybe you could draw out your characters using that cotton break-away liquid stuff (ack - what's it called??) and gluing the resulting decor instead of spending time cross-stitching.

They're pretty adorable, though I would only get one that has a closure of some kind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laes43
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009 01:39:45 PM »

They're pretty adorable, though I would only get one that has a closure of some kind.

i have made some with closures. mine just doesn't have one. i guess it's just a preference thing. 
and as for using other mediums...i have considered maybe some sort of applique...or maybe some crocheted flowers...or perhaps crocheted beaded flowers...i'll have to do some experimenting this weekend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Family’s Journey With Autism
Malla Nunn on Present Darkness
Elizabeth Fremantle Introduces Us to Katherine Parr
Sarah Ban Breathnach: The New York Times Bestselling Author Who Lost It All
Motherboard: Author William Gibson on Real Life Technology
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...