A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
448 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pollini Dress Sewalong?  (Read 11380 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crescentfresh
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2009 03:26:00 PM »

supercute, I wanna make one
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seamstressfortheband

Dum da dum dum, dum dum dum.....

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2009 05:11:52 PM »

I LOVE it!! I'm pretty sure you can count me in on this one, I just have to get my sewing machine fixed... and who knows how long that'll take. And I have to get fabric.... but I AM going to do this!!! awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blue jean baby, L.A. lady, seamstress for the band
Pretty eyed, pirate smile, you'll marry a music man
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2009 05:42:05 PM »

I'm sorry, did I get the size wrong? I assumed that it was 36 in Burda size, I wasn't aware that people uploaded patterns onto BurdaStyle with different types of sizing. So, I'm sorry if I've misinformed everyone.

Thank you, ravenwitch, for the link about resizing and thank you Belladune for taking time to write all that out, it's very helpful! Cheesy I didn't actually expect anyone to answer my question, either. Grin Thanks again!

your welcome Cheesy 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LauPre

I've lost my scissors... again?!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2009 05:45:03 PM »

I'm in.  I'd been eyeing this pattern a week ago and put it into my mental list of things to do.  According to the Burdastyle webpage's sizing chart, http://www.burdastyle.com/content/size_chart a burda size 36 is a us size 4 (maybe they do the sizing different in the magazine? I don't know), with a bust waist hip measurement of 33/26/35 inches.  looking at the pdf, and comparing the bodice piece to the sample 4x4 inch square, it looks like it is in that range (I didn't print out those pages, though, so I can't actually measure them)  I don't know if that's a us size 4, but I do know that it's too small for me.  I'll be drafting up some new pieces for my measurements (about 40" bust, 34" waist) and I'll be happy to share them once I'm done.  I've already finished the bodice top and sleeve cap and made them out on letter paper instead of pattern paper so that I could scan them and upload them if anyone's interested.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do some personal swaps.
I'm looking for handmade soaps, jewelry, and knit legwarmers/socks.
pm me if I can sew something for you!

Blog : http://blog.laupre.com/
Wist: http://www.wists.com/laupre
Home: http://LauPre.com
cbass

You can bet your balls it's Neil Diamond!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2009 08:18:35 PM »

Looooove. I will see what fabric I can dig out that would work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ginadaniels
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2009 08:30:45 PM »

Hey Guys, I'm so excited to see everyone so interested in this dress. It's true, the pattern is listed as a size 36, not as a multi-size, and you need to remember to add seam allowances, but it's still a beautiful pattern as long as you can get the sizing right.

In all honesty, it's not a complicated dress to construct after you have the pattern put together, I did it in two evenings because I didn't have a zipper on hand (had to run out and grab on the second day.)

I printed off the PDF at work (25 pages!) and tiled the pattern together. There are a couple pages that wouldn't print right for me, even though they look okay on the screen, however with the first page having a scaled-down version it was really easy to fill in the missing lines (damn Adobe Acrobat sometimes.. :S)

When I had my pattern all cut out I measured all the pieces in key places, pinned them down on my fabric and used a fabric pencil to mark any new measurements, darts, and all the seam allowances.

EDIT: Someone asked about yardage on fabric and I can say that I found some great $1.97 fabric on sale and bought five metres... I think I used half of it.

Then I cut everything out carefully, paying attention to the right and wrong side of my fabric (tricky, tricky) and began constructing it like so:

pin the front skirt pieces together, sew
pin the back skirt pieces together, sew

the pattern calls for interfacing the yoke pieces, but I didn't think that was necessary if you're going to double up the yoke fabric.

cut, pin and stay stitch front and back yoke pieces.

sew darts in top pieces. fold under extra collar tabs and stay stitch (I pressed my front top pieces for this step.)

sew front top to front yoke and front yoke to front skirt.

sew back top to back yoke and back yoke to back skirt.

sew shoulders and side seams.

sew in left zipper from middle of skirt to under sleeve.

For the collar:

with dress facing RSO line up collar with right sides facing, sew to dress, turn collar inside, pin, press and topstitch.

Hem sleeves and skirt.

Mine is a little tight, but still wearable I could have done a better job altering it, but here's how it turned out (click for larger version).

« Last Edit: February 17, 2009 08:39:02 PM by ginadaniels » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Success is the art of being able to make money doing what you love.
smacckk

Don't count the days, Let the days count for you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2009 09:24:56 PM »

Thanks for the tips ginadaniels and may I ask what kind of fabric you used? I actually saw that pattern last year but never got round to making it Roll Eyes I guess I got discouraged by the amount of altering I have to do with the bust darts and all Undecided

I'm sorry, did I get the size wrong? I assumed that it was 36 in Burda size, I wasn't aware that people uploaded patterns onto BurdaStyle with different types of sizing. So, I'm sorry if I've misinformed everyone.

Thank you, ravenwitch, for the link about resizing and thank you Belladune for taking time to write all that out, it's very helpful! Cheesy I didn't actually expect anyone to answer my question, either. Grin Thanks again!

If it isn't in Burda size I'll have a lot of altering to do! I'm a US size 2 - which on my 5'2" frame it's not too skinny Roll Eyes ! Would it work if I just shrink the pattern a little when I'm printing? Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will trade for Winter 2008 issue of Stitch Magazine aka The One With The Skirts Grin

Check out my wists!
mylittlehuman
MLH IS...missing her favorite lil airbender

five feet of pure energy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2009 05:17:11 AM »

That's such a cute style!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Why are we throwing her out the window?"
"Because she's just a cat, and they get in the way."

My blog: http://charmypants.blogspot.com
Lallegra
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2009 06:05:37 AM »

When my husband left for Italy to work two months ago, he left behind some of his suits. He said he does not want them. I still have them hanging in the closet. One of them is ARMANI. I could not bear to throw it out like he said.  I imagine myself walking off the airplane to greet him wearing a dress made from his suit. HAHAHA,   And this dress looks perfect to do just that. I will do the pattern, And grab the Armani, and get to work!!!!!   Plus the fact that I will be in Italy myself HELLO fashion capital !!!!!!  It looks perfect. I have been looking for a pattern.   

I can't wait to see everyone else's too......
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lustinthemovies
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2009 06:14:25 AM »

Firstly re the armani suits - so jelous! Secondly I really really want to do this. I have absolutly reeems of dark grey suiting, do with think that could work with this pattern, or would it look a bit drab?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/Lustinthemovies

http://lustinthemovies1989.blogspot.com/

Will exchange pixie skirt/ record bag/ handmade earrings/ other sewn paraphanalia/ true love/ my soul for knitty's 'cleaves' Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Extreme Crochet Ideas
How to Crochet a Small Smiley Flower
How to Crochet a Large Smiley Flower
How to Crochet Jolene Sugarbaker Sweater Cuffs
Duct Tape Bracelets
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...